• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just got an email from my Retirement Funds.
    I was surprised on how well they had done this year.
    Grateful while it lasts!

Most of my "pile" are in very conservative places where I won't lose any principal but limits growth.
    The rest are invested very conservatively but are at risk if/when things go South.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just pay attention to the SMA for the S&P

You can watch it here, select advanced charting and the default is the 50 day SMA but you can toggle in whatever average you need by selecting edit for the Simple Moving Average

When the current value dips under its 100 day SMA start paying close attention

When it dips under its 200 day SMA, time to make some decisions about if and what to sell

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Still short anything not energy,food,and that is priced in dollars lol.
    Sold a few times and made a bit,purchased again after they dropped just a bit.
    Did have a nice few days lately though. That facebook crash did some amazing
    things for two of my short ETFs

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I read this thread just for interest. Some real risk takers here! IMO I'll just stick with broad ETFs for long-term gain. My total stock account is up nearly 100%, but that's over quite a bit of time. Nothing like the "single day" ups and downs talked about here. :eek:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Still short anything not energy,food,and that is priced in dollars lol.
    Sold a few times and made a bit,purchased again after they dropped just a bit.
    Did have a nice few days lately though. That facebook crash did some amazing
    things for two of my short ETFs
    Are you using leveraged short ETFs?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I read this thread just for interest. Some real risk takers here! IMO I'll just stick with broad ETFs for long-term gain. My total stock account is up nearly 100%, but that's over quite a bit of time. Nothing like the "single day" ups and downs talked about here. :eek:
    And i bet you sleep great at night and are not distracted by it. That is worth several percent a year also i think

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Are you using leveraged short ETFs?
    Yes. Given the FED is increasing rates,and inflation(did you see todays report? Record since 1980...inflation is here and it will be felt). Doing ok on all of them,and suspect I am about to do much better(FED talking about a rate increase before the next official meeting publicly).
    YTD up 13.67% on this one alone.

SQQQ is up over 20%YTD

I am still holding most of what I was on page 11 of this thread.
    It has worked the same,but in reverse of "buy the dip"

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes. Given the FED is increasing rates,and inflation(did you see todays report? Record since 1980...inflation is here and it will be felt). Doing ok on all of them,and suspect I am about to do much better(FED talking about a rate increase before the next official meeting publicly).
    YTD up 13.67% on this one alone.

SQQQ is up over 20%YTD

I am still holding most of what I was on page 11 of this thread.
    It has worked the same,but in reverse of "buy the dip"
    I've got most of my money in mutual funds long term to be withdrawn in retirement.

I also have a small amount each week put into my money market account to "play with." I don't want to watch the markets constantly buying and selling every other day.

Are there any ETF's you would recommend to buy into, watch periodically and make decisions whether to put more in or sell for another?

I have about $3K to play with.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I've got most of my money in mutual funds long term to be withdrawn in retirement.

I also have a small amount each week put into my money market account to "play with." I don't want to watch the markets constantly buying and selling every other day.

Are there any ETF's you would recommend to buy into, watch periodically and make decisions whether to put more in or sell for another?

I have about $3K to play with.
    I am not giving stock purchase advise(for legal reasons).
    I can simply tell you what I am holding mostly at the moment.
    TIPSTreasuries(varied amount since 2012).

ETF(TZA),SQQQ,EDZ,SDOW,TWM,SPXU.​

Futures in most agriculture products(not short) and Oil(not short)

I missed the Natural gas upside,but think it is to late to hop in now.

I have been out of silver and gold for awhile(electronic)and may get back in. SLV

I watch this and treasury yields closely. Stocks are affected by both.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    My portfolio/account is shrinking... have TIAA Creff for now but have a friend that is in Edward Jones and he’s saying he can earn me more money right now
    Anyone here have a good or bad experience with Edward Jones?? Fees? Just asking because I always had a free counseling from my previous retirement. Have my current retirement also to roll over and starting a new retirement next week. Just weighing options. Thanks in advance

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Good day today for you smokingman
    A good year honestly. Look at the longer term charts. What I have been doing with all my shorts is fairly simple,and has done well thus far. Sell late in the day if it is two in a row with a down market(I gain being short). Buy it back a couple days later when the market hits a new record(laughing at that but it is nearly the truth). Now though I think I am just going to hold onto them. With higher rates the yoyo ride may turn into rollercoaster ride and selling means I could miss days like we had in 2008. I will keep a close eye on my sell triggers though and move them up and down to keep the profits I have(did that all year,usually during midday). The bull market has hammered SQQQ for a decade,but the highs it could achieve are incredible. Even just going back to 2011 it was over $90,000($38.03 today's close) per share. It all depends of course on where markets go. If we have a major correction then I will do really well.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Fed has an unplanned meeting Monday at 11:30 est. I give it a good chance(70%) to raise rates before march(some of Europe already joking about inflation in USA being wienmar levels). We will see though.

On a lighter note. Language warning.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I have not been alone in being short. Buying dips and selling the rally.
    Apparently nearly every hedge fund has been doing it all year as well.

From Goldman Prime to JPMorgan.
    This article came out 2/14/2021 on Zerohedge

The other thing I noted in the article is the change and what specifically JPM is looking for to know this strategy will no longer work. I think that time is pretty much here. It is/was a very fine balance,and now the "buy the dip" crowd has inflation,the fed itself,and reality finally taking the stage away.
    :twocents:

Top Bottom