Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If a Dem gets elected, they may confiscate your IRA's to pay for your Social Security.

giphy.gif

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    IRRATIONAL!

Oil up. Futures way up

Oil UP 10% despite the fact that the Saudis have pledged to increase production 20%.

I'm looking for the S&P 500 to bottom out just below 1800, that would be predicted in the numbers using a 90 year cycle and a 45 year cycle analysis. So glad I pulled most of my holdings just before this all got bad and switched the holdings to money markets. Moving back into the market after the drop follows the trend I expect to see, probably becoming a buyer again when the S&P 500 is about 1900.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    You can bet some “think tank” out there already has model legislation already drawn up and stored for later.

Sounds like a 5th Amendment issue to me.

Anyhoo, what they are talking about is doing away with tax deferment (and deductibility) over a certain amount...which would be hard enough on the markets.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Sounds like a 5th Amendment issue to me.

Anyhoo, what they are talking about is doing away with tax deferment (and deductibility) over a certain amount...which would be hard enough on the markets.
    Yeah...no, there’s been actual talk of confiscation.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IRRATIONAL!

Oil UP 10% despite the fact that the Saudis have pledged to increase production 20%.

I'm looking for the S&P 500 to bottom out just below 1800, that would be predicted in the numbers using a 90 year cycle and a 45 year cycle analysis. So glad I pulled most of my holdings just before this all got bad and switched the holdings to money markets. Moving back into the market after the drop follows the trend I expect to see, probably becoming a buyer again when the S&P 500 is about 1900.

I would remind you that during the rundown to the great recession, several money market funds 'broke the buck' and were not safe havens nor covered by FDIC. Not criticizing as much as pointing out there are few truly safe havens

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I'm a noob at the market, but always wanted to play around with stocks a little. After the first big downturn I figured it was time to buy. There were a few stocks I figured were low and would go back up quickly. Ha. My starting $7,000 has been beat down to about $6,130.

Either I stop paying attention at this point, or take my losses and pull the remainder out and wait until this thing goes under 20k.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm a noob at the market, but always wanted to play around with stocks a little. After the first big downturn I figured it was time to buy. There were a few stocks I figured were low and would go back up quickly. Ha. My starting $7,000 has been beat down to about $6,130.

Either I stop paying attention at this point, or take my losses and pull the remainder out and wait until this thing goes under 20k.

What you are describing is a great strategy to lose money.

Jomibe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    Hendricks County
    What you are describing is a great strategy to lose money.

Well, the "stop paying attention" isn't, as the stocks I bought are of the buy and hold nature.

The part about getting out now and waiting until the bleeding stops is because this is starting to feel like a longer event than most foresaw. If this market goes down into the teens, my $6100 in cash will buy more at that point than the losses I would incur to that trying to pot commit against my lost $900

This isn't my retirement, losing $900 doesn't bother me. I just want to make the smartest play over the next couple months.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    You are down about 12.5% so to break even that would be like the DOW going from 24,000 to 27,000. I certainly believe that will happen. It is just a matter of how long that takes and I have absolutely no idea about that.

Another option, if one believes this is now the bottom, is to buy more of those stocks to reduce the average cost basis.

Bottom line is that it is always a guess as to which way the market will be going in the future.

My son meets with his financial advisor tomorrow - I am interested to hear what he says about this dumpster fire of a market.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This morning I remembered I still have a decent stake in Royal Caribbean cruise lines. :(

I just want to make the smartest play over the next couple months.
    Then buy exchange traded index funds.

Diversification is your friend, and comes highly recommended by Warren Buffet.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Pardon me for pointing this out, but you failed to correctly time the market the first time. Have you learned enough from the single experience to be certain you will get it right the next time? Make no mistake, having money available to invest but not in the market is market timing on some level. If you're long; pick an entry point, get in and then forget about it. Otherwise, what metric will you use to call the bottom? Is it not possible that if you wait days beyond the actual bottom, to be sure we are in recovery, that markets will be back at Monday's levels or even higher. Remember that even professionals can't time the market. Less than one third of fund managers can beat their funds associated index in any given year. The number of fund managers that can beat their underlying index two years in a row is practically undetectable.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom