• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Fear not my friends, we have 10 million+ new "citizens" with no money, no jobs and no home who will be more than happy to take up residence in all manner of VRBO, vacant, rental or vacation properties all over the country. Considering that there are already laws on the books to protect these people when they do this, history has shown that we can expect the federal government to come along shortly to relieve everyone of their excess residential space. You know, to solve this humanitarian crisis we had no way of avoiding.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't think I've ever needed to provide a physical ID, name, DOB, and maybe SSN. Always over the phone.
    But the person that the utilities were in their name should have had to call in first as I understand it before they will transfer it with verifiable ID. You know because the vindictive ex-wives call in to disconnect their ex’es utilities on the weekend. :lmfao:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But the person that the utilities were in their name should have had to call in first as I understand it before they will transfer it with verifiable ID. You know because the vindictive ex-wives call in to disconnect their ex’es utilities on the weekend. :lmfao:
    Relating to that, one thing that will probably help is ALL required utilities necessary to be up to health codes needs to be in the "renter" name. That should be a minimum bar for the cops to say "its a civil matter" and walk away. Squatter doesnt have power and/or water in the house? Tough. GTFO, if for no other reason than you are living in a house that isnt liveable per the health dept. I could see that helping a few owners.

Just a fake lease and a wireless bill shouldnt be enough to prove occupancy.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Only rented a couple of times, don't know if the landlord ever called in. They did ask me to transfer within a couple days of moving in. Don't think the previous owners had to call it in when we bought our current home.

But I don't think it would be very hard, people have signed a lease in good faith and had utilities turned on only to find out later they had been scammed.

Regarding ex wives, how many don't know their ex's info? Worst case, have a male friend call in and shut it off.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Relating to that, one thing that will probably help is ALL required utilities necessary to be up to health codes needs to be in the "renter" name. That should be a minimum bar for the cops to say "its a civil matter" and walk away. Squatter doesnt have power and/or water in the house? Tough. GTFO, if for no other reason than you are living in a house that isnt liveable per the health dept. I could see that helping a few owners.

Just a fake lease and a wireless bill shouldnt be enough to prove occupancy.
    One place I've lived, all utilities except phone/cable were included. And it's common around me for water to be included, especially in multifamily units. If it's a converted single family, it's almost guaranteed.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Only rented a couple of times, don't know if the landlord ever called in. They did ask me to transfer within a couple days of moving in. Don't think the previous owners had to call it in when we bought our current home.

But I don't think it would be very hard, people have signed a lease in good faith and had utilities turned on only to find out later they had been scammed.

Regarding ex wives, how many don't know their ex's info? Worst case, have a male friend call in and shut it off.
    A Quick Look at the Duke energy website shows that one must sign into their account to stop service. As for a new customer they require DOB. SS#, and a credit check. It seems that they will not do the new account until the previous account is set for termination. A friend was renting, a get it done now guy, and he was frustrated that the previous tenants were not doing their part so he could set his part set up.

One other thing in the very early 2000’s Angie’s List and others were doing utility transfers for their members but the Patriot act stopped that as the utilities required the owner to do it themselves.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    B
    A Quick Look at the Duke energy website shows that one must sign into their account to stop service. As for a new customer they require DOB. SS#, and a credit check. It seems that they will not do the new account until the previous account is set for termination. A friend was renting, a get it done now guy, and he was frustrated that the previous tenants were not doing their part so he could set his part set up.

One other thing in the very early 2000’s Angie’s List and others were doing utility transfers for their members but the Patriot act stopped that as the utilities required the owner to do it themselves.
    Been years since I've had to do it, I do know that I don't have an online account for gas/electric/water to sign into. Nipsco for power and gas.

And if the owner has the utilities in their name, write up the fake lease "utilities included".

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    DeSantis in Florida is the only politician I’ve seen who has turned the tables on squatters with the new statutes he just signed into law permitting landowners to eject by legal means any squatters. :rockwoot:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Fear not my friends, we have 10 million+ new "citizens" with no money, no jobs and no home who will be more than happy to take up residence in all manner of VRBO, vacant, rental or vacation properties all over the country. Considering that there are already laws on the books to protect these people when they do this, history has shown that we can expect the federal government to come along shortly to relieve everyone of their excess residential space. You know, to solve this humanitarian crisis we had no way of avoiding.
    Why isn't this considered trespassing? Why can't trespassing laws. Be used on them?

If the owner of a property or establishment says they want them out for trespassing and they refuse they get arrested correct?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Why isn't this considered trespassing? Why can't trespassing laws. Be used on them?

If the owner of a property or establishment says they want them out for trespassing and they refuse they get arrested correct?
    That's how the law was before liberals started whining about "victims" being thrown out of "their" homes and onto the streets. Those same ilk are now running the country.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

re-read the whole thread. TL;DR they usually provide fake leases to the cops, so it becomes a civil matter. (he said/she said)

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The problem seems to usual surround who has legal possession of the property.

To play devil's advocate:

Suppose you do have an agreement to rent/lease a property and the owner decides for some reason he wants you out now. He accuses you of squatting but you are legally there. How does a police officer decide who's in the right? You are proposing someone who is innocent be thrown out, have to hire a lawyer, maybe lose work, money, and time to prove he was in the right in the first place?
    How many innocent people have been arrested for other perceived crimes? The police are not judge and jury. They arrest based on PC and the system figures it out later. It happens every day. No reason for possible squatters to get a pass just to avoid the inconveniencing of legal renters.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    It is going to have to be reworked since the lawless are using the benevolence of the people to screw them. We made laws to protect the innocent tenant from abusive landlord’s but now the criminal element is exploiting them against innocent owners.

It is a tightrope to define.
    This is why our form of government only works for a moral and religious people.

And unfortunately why we will see more and more .gov involvement.

Top Bottom