16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    In my ordered list of things that matter to me:

10,493rd: The Olympics
    10,494th: Soccer
    10,495th: Women's Soccer

But yet....This news still made me smile:

Sweden Stuns U.S. Women’s Soccer Team in Tokyo Olympics Opener https://www.wsj.com/articles/sweden...cer-team-in-tokyo-olympics-opener-11626866456

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Wait, if this is about womens soccer why do they have mens soccer pictured on the article?
    Someone call the graphics department of WSJ and tell them they goofed.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    As I recall there are one or two players on the team that don't support the America hating purple haired contingent on the team. So I feel a little bad for them. But yeah, I have to admit to being pleased with the news.

ETA: I just read that it did include every team member, so no guilt felt for being pleased. **** ‘em.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    It does me good to see US basketball loose too...as much as I hate to lose at anything. I'm just tired of American athletes (or anyone) proclaiming their "Betterness" than all of us common folk.
    I have been casually watching. There are some neat stories. 20 year old engineering student winning the 10M shooting gold. American winning skeet, etc. Goes to show me that the only athletes that have gone crazy are (mostly) professional basketball.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've not watched any of the Olympics, and have no plans to do so, but I was sorry to hear on the news just now that Simone Biles withdrew from the team competition today, citing "mental health issues". I can see that. She's been so hyped up, and placed on such a high pedestal that when she had a "less than perfect" performance (by her standards), I think it just got to her. I wish her nothing but the best. She is the GOAT (speaking as a former H.S. gymnast) for sure. She didn't go off to a safe space and hide though. She still stayed and continued to root for and support her team mates.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    There's no sense of patriotism anymore where everyone could come together and want to root for the athletes that represent the USA. Everything has become jaded thanks to politics.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I've not watched any of the Olympics, and have no plans to do so, but I was sorry to hear on the news just now that Simone Biles withdrew from the team competition today, citing "mental health issues". I can see that. She's been so hyped up, and placed on such a high pedestal that when she had a "less than perfect" performance (by her standards), I think it just got to her. I wish her nothing but the best. She is the GOAT (speaking as a former H.S. gymnast) for sure. She didn't go off to a safe space and hide though. She still stayed and continued to root for and support her team mates.
    Since I don't pay the slightest attention to the olympics, I just now heard about her bad performance in some activity, after which she decided to quit. I can't help but wonder which of mental health/screwing up is the chicken, and which is the egg.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was sorry to hear of her difficulties. She has always seemed like a good person but of course that could just mean she has good handlers. But she never went around pulling the despicable crap like the soccer girls.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There's no sense of patriotism anymore where everyone could come together and want to root for the athletes that represent the USA. Everything has become jaded thanks to politics.
    It used to be sports was an escape from politics. Now they allow politics to inundate sports. They should have stuck to not allowing it.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I wonder if some of the problem is the playing in front of empty stadiums. A lot of these athletes thrive on the crowd reaction...seems a lack of it might throw off at least individual sports people (being part of a team is different). You'd practice for it, of course, but has to be strange to have no one in the crowd.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I wonder if some of the problem is the playing in front of empty stadiums. A lot of these athletes thrive on the crowd reaction...seems a lack of it might throw off at least individual sports people (being part of a team is different). You'd practice for it, of course, but has to be strange to have no one in the crowd.
    I had read that the "mental health issues" were in regards to the sexual assault on her by the USA gymnastics physician, who was convicted in 2018. So it wasn't just the pressure of living up to the hype.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So do they have large crowds watching everyday while they practice day in day out? Seems to me that if you can perform daily in practice and again in the Olympic trials without the crowd, one should be able to perform just fine without the crowd in competition.
    Athletes have to often block out the crowd and do their thing.
    Most athletes have practiced so much that much of what they do is muscle memory and routine repetitive actions. Often to the point they don't have to think about it very much and almost instinctively do it. Sometimes an athlete screws up and recovers from it quickly, other times it leads to being in a slump. I think that's how the mental side really comes into play, how they deal with the adversity or let the adversity define them.

I think there is something else going on besides a mental struggle that suddenly can't be blocked out for a few minutes.

Top Bottom