• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    That's a good excuse, as far as excuses go. It's not like they didn't know this in advance. Even before the 'rona, online shopping has been on the increase every year.

Companies have been adapting to accommodate their customer base for years, bringing on additional staffing for the holiday shipping rush. All except for USPS anyway.

For years the USPS has complained that they need more of our tax dollars. They figure that it is in their interest to be less than efficient in some cases to help promote their welfare mentality.

For better or worse, I buy a ridiculous ton of stuff from Amazon (hundreds of orders per year), and as soon as Amazon decided to use UPS for bulk and USPS for final mile, delivery timing and accuracy decreased by at least 30% and this change happened years ago at this point. USPS has had forever to get their stuff together and they simply don't care.

After the first few years of that Amazon seemed to back off of it and now they're using their own delivery service, which is actually quite good most days.

FWIW, the only thing worse than USPS is FedEx. FedEx just absolutely destroys packages and takes forever to get them to me.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Just remembered I am expecting a shipment from out west... Checked my tracking and they used USPS. It was supposed to be here 2 days ago and has been sitting in Las Vegas since 12/3, doing nothing.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My parcel from Midway missorted to Muskegon has shown no movement since,
    I'd like to think USPS has just stopped tracking the package and it is surreptitiously making it's way back towards Indiana.

Then again who really knows and that statement would include the USPS

finnegan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Clark County
    I've had a package shipped from a couple of hours away sitting in a distribution center located less than 10 miles from my house for the last 4 days.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I've had a package shipped from a couple of hours away sitting in a distribution center located less than 10 miles from my house for the last 4 days.

Let me guess - It is sitting at the Louisville Distribution Center. I had a package from Midway sent priority mail on Nov. 24th. It was accepted at the Louisville Dist. center on the 27th and just made it to the Henryville post office yesterday. It sat in Louisville for 11 days.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    USPS is hit or miss. It seems to depend on which hubs/POs it hits.

Fedex is even getting wonky. Dell said my part was delivered to my office yesterday. I looked around and couldnt find it. So i hit the tracking info. Its just now leaving TN on the first hop. I should have it in 2 days.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    If the employees at USPS wanted to deliver packages and not mail, then they would've applied for a position at UPS or FedEx...

:twocents:

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    If the employees at USPS wanted to deliver packages and not mail, then they would've applied for a position at UPS or FedEx...

The US Postal Service has always delivered packages. Remember parcel post? I have sent many packages book rate. Package delivery is nothing new to USPS.

Find some other way to send a letter anywhere in the country for 55 cents. I am still amazed by the Postal Service, even when I complain about them.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    All the companies I've ordered holiday sale stuff from are throwing in HUGE disclaimers about shipping timing. The 'rona looks to be a pretty decent "get out of jail" card for them and the shipping companies.

On another note, I see Amazon delivery vans in multiples every day (including Sundays) going up and down my road. And I live fairly far off of the beaten path.

If Amazon keeps the efficiency they are developing, I wonder if they won't go into the shipping biz and start competing with UPS/FedEx for other companies deliveries? Wouldn't shock me at all if Amazon doesn't via for the mail delivery biz in a few years also? Especially rural mail delivery.

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    LaPaz Junction
    I sent a holster to Yuma AZ 14 days ago on 3 Day Priority mail. Still on it's way. A package to Houston sat in Indy 4 days. I wonder how long it takes before a person can collect the $50.00 insurance?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    One has to wonder if all this missing/delayed mail is setting in trailers across the country or if the Postal workers are climbing over mountains of mailbags on their way to the breakroom?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If Amazon keeps the efficiency they are developing, I wonder if they won't go into the shipping biz and start competing with UPS/FedEx for other companies deliveries? Wouldn't shock me at all if Amazon doesn't via for the mail delivery biz in a few years also? Especially rural mail delivery.

I've seen it stated (before 'rona hit), that this was their plan - take on 3rd party shipping. One has to believe it, with the ground and air fleet they are building out...

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    The US Postal Service has always delivered packages. Remember parcel post? I have sent many packages book rate. Package delivery is nothing new to USPS.

Find some other way to send a letter anywhere in the country for 55 cents. I am still amazed by the Postal Service, even when I complain about them.
    They don't really send a letter anywhere for 55 cents, that's just the cost of the stamp. Taxpayers subsidize the balance. Just like sending a box of lead to Hawaii for under $10. UPS would probably charge $50 for the same package because they are not getting billions in subsidies from taxpayers.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I am nearly 100% positive that the postal service receives zero tax dollars.

They don't really send a letter anywhere for 55 cents, that's just the cost of the stamp. Taxpayers subsidize the balance. Just like sending a box of lead to Hawaii for under $10. UPS would probably charge $50 for the same package because they are not getting billions in subsidies from taxpayers.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-f...s-the-u-s-postal-service-governed-and-funded/

From that link:

How is the Postal Service financed?

The Postal Service receives no direct taxpayer funds. It relies on revenues from stamps and other service fees. Although COVID-19 has choked off the USPS revenue in recent months, factors that arose well before coronavirus have contributed to the unsustainability of the Postal Service’s financial situation for years.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've always been in favor of stopping Saturday delivery as a cost cutting measure, but as of late I've noticed that the USPS has done the opposite and added Sunday delivery.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    [h=1]USPS has lost $78 billion since 2007 despite receiving billions from taxpayers every year. Democrats still want a bailout.[/h]https://keller.house.gov/media/in-the-news/usps-has-lost-78-billion-2007-despite-receiving-billions-taxpayers-every-year

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Fine with me if they exit the market since they clearly suck at it. I'm not begging McDonald's to grill me up a steak either...

I have another package coming from out west via USPS, it has been sitting right where it was deposited for the last 3 days. The package I mentioned upstream is still just hanging out in LV still too... Now 3 days late and hasn't moved in 6 days. Mr. LV package is a box of silver eagles... It will get pretty exciting when I file a claim on it in the not too distant future.

Top Bottom