Second Largest Bank Failure in U.S. History…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Some of this is mathematical semantics; the news is stating that 80% number, making people think that someone with 250k in the bank won’t get their money back. Now granted, that could happen, but that’s a much bigger collapse that hasn’t happened *yet*.

What they’re not explaining is that 80% number refers to the people (ok institutions mostly) that have say, $1,250,000 in the bank and they’re going to get 250,000 back, therefore “losing 80%”. The reality is that there are depositors with many millions in the bank, and they’ll probably get 250k back, from the fdic insurance perspective.

If Joe average has 250k in the bank, the way things are working now, he’s insured.

That being said, my grandmothers family had “all their money” in the bank at Rosston in the 30’s, the bank folded and the money she was going to use to attend Purdue was gone. She still found a way to go that fall as scheduled, not sure how.

Smarts, perseverance, grit will separate those with a will to thrive in hard times.
    100% and that’s how I saw it as well. My grandparent lost back in the depression years also and never used the bank again. I don’t trust the gaurentee up to a certain amount. Sure it’s there in writing but no where in the writing does it say when you will get it…. 2 days, 30 days, 3 years….?

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Bailing it out with FDIC insurance funds.
    All depositors made whole no matter the amount.
    All stock holders to 0

The loss to share holders is not small. SVB may have only had 209 billion in assets,but the stock was way over valued. The knock off effects will appear where those losses are greatest.

In their joint statement, regulators also announced a similar systemic risk exception for Signature Bank (SBNY), which was closed on Sunday by its state chartering authority.

The heads of all federal reserve branches and US treasury voted both were systemic risks. This meant they could use FDIC insurance to cover all deposits(something they could not do without the vote). So not one but two banks bailed out by the FDIC. Wonder how that 1.4% of total deposits reserve is doing over at the FDIC. Oh,they only have 125.5 billion in total funds...well interesting. They will not have much left after these two banks depositors are made whole.

Ah,and the new bank fees you will pay.
    "Any losses to the Deposit Insurance Fund to support uninsured depositors will be recovered by a special assessment on banks, as required by law."

Stocks to the moon!(and inflation will be along for the ride).

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Posting this here, as well as in the stock market thread, since we have two threads basically talking about the same thing...

"The government’s bank-deposit insurance fund will cover all deposits at the two banks, rather than the standard $250,000. Federal regulators said any losses to the government’s fund would be recovered in a special assessment on banks and that the U.S. taxpayers wouldn’t bear any losses."

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Posting this here, as well as in the stock market thread, since we have two threads basically talking about the same thing...

"The government’s bank-deposit insurance fund will cover all deposits at the two banks, rather than the standard $250,000. Federal regulators said any losses to the government’s fund would be recovered in a special assessment on banks and that the U.S. taxpayers wouldn’t bear any losses."
    :lmfao:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Bailing it out with FDIC insurance funds.
    All depositors made whole no matter the amount.
    All stock holders to 0

The loss to share holders is not small. SVB may have only had 209 billion in assets,but the stock was way over valued. The knock off effects will appear where those losses are greatest.

In their joint statement, regulators also announced a similar systemic risk exception for Signature Bank (SBNY), which was closed on Sunday by its state chartering authority.

The heads of all federal reserve branches and US treasury voted both were systemic risks. This meant they could use FDIC insurance to cover all deposits(something they could not do without the vote). So not one but two banks bailed out by the FDIC. Wonder how that 1.4% of total deposits reserve is doing over at the FDIC. Oh,they only have 125.5 billion in total funds...well interesting. They will not have much left after these two banks depositors are made whole.

Ah,and the new bank fees you will pay.
    "Any losses to the Deposit Insurance Fund to support uninsured depositors will be recovered by a special assessment on banks, as required by law."

Stocks to the moon!(and inflation will be along for the ride).
    Two major banks dead in a week and FDIC fund already tapped out. Okie dokie, Janet, tell me again about how the taxpayers are safe.

Lucky us it's definitely for sure positively gonna stop at just two banks, right? Surely people won't withdraw 10% of deposits or whatever the laughably low reserve requirement is by the end of the week.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I looked through their quarterly reports. They where losing money hand over fist in ESG investments in 2022.
    The firesale of US Treasuries at a loss of 1.8 billion was a result of the losses not the cause of them being insolvent. They tried to plug the hole,then tried a stock sale. Neither worked to restore confidence in their **** poor management of client funds. Then they looked for a buyer...no one with any sense wanted to touch it. It was woke gone mad.

So. Go woke go broke? :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I really hope the do not bail out this woke wreck.
    I predict this is exactly what they'll do. Will the House have the votes to stop it? Doubtful. I think the CoC Republicans would join with Democrats to vote for it. It would like pass the senate.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    They might be starting to realize how large the problem really is.
    That 25 billion available for loans at the fed window is nothing compared with the losses banks have taken,and the realestate bubble,credit card bubble,car loan bubble,and stock bubbles have not popped yet. Hence the 2.2 trillion a day at the repo window.

The Fed is freaking out as is the Treasury. They MAY be starting to understand the problem they created.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    ROFL. Well the labor force participation rate came out 30 minutes after Biden spoke.
    Great news. 118% of the labor force is working! Last month it was only 62.4%...best economists/satistitions at the BLS ever!

They may have broken something.

laborrate.jpg

*edit
    Several hours after I posted it they fixed an "error" in the BLS algorith that calculates this.
    It still shows higher participation rate than estimates,but only by a small amount(I think they just manually entered the number lol). BLS is of course being mocked on many financial sites/blogs as the joke that it is.

Unless of course you believe we added 300k+ jobs last month and productivity is rising(lol).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom