• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Not really. Poland is still closer to Moscow than any part of the Ukraine. What they did do was take over (had they not sucked at war) seaports that aren’t covered in Ice half the year and a large portion of the worlds grain and fertilizer production. This had about as much to do with NATO as my spoon does with my obesity

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Not really. Poland is still closer to Moscow than any part of the Ukraine. What they did do was take over (had they not sucked at war) seaports that aren’t covered in Ice half the year and a large portion of the worlds grain and fertilizer production. This had about as much to do with NATO as my spoon does with my obesity
    The part you seem to keep missing is that Russia's goal is not to create the longest measured distance on a map between their border and the border of the closest NATO country. Their strategic goal, rather, is to keep NATO-friendly states away from areas that they see as more vulnerable to a potential invasion. Poland is less of a concern for them, because of the fact that Russia-friendly countries already act as a buffer between them and Poland. However, if Ukraine were to become NATO-friendly, it would be a far more strategically significant disadvantage, because that would directly threaten key areas, particularly the oil-rich areas in the South. And even though Poland is physically closer to Moscow, the route to Moscow from Ukraine is more open, especially seeing as NATO wouldn't have to first push through potentially "neutral" countries. Finally, if Russia thought they had the military capability to invade Poland, do you really think they wouldn't have done so? I see no reason why Russia wouldn't have happily invaded Poland as well, if Poland were not, unlike Ukraine, already a NATO member.

Yes, I'm sure taking over Ukraine's economic productivity was also a strong motivator for Russia. But to claim it has nothing to do with NATO just seems silly to me on the surface, and your reasons for believing this seem to be based on a fundamental misunderstanding of how things work strategically. Your initial claim that it would be silly for Russia to push their border westward if they want to keep NATO off their border is a prime example of this.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Russia set out to invade/occupy Ukraine to block what they saw as NATO expansion and western influence. Not trying to justify anything just my observation.

Last edited:

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    You should probably look at a map.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Jaroslaw Pakula said the missile accident showed Warsaw needed to send a blunt message to Kiev rather than telling its own citizens “fairy tales.”

“Of course, this is a Ukrainian rocket. Of course, this is a provocation on the part of the Ukrainian authorities,” Pakula posted on his Facebook page.

“The rocket could not be fired 100km in the opposite direction by mistake,” he added, asserting that the incident was an attempt to scare the EU into sending more money to Ukraine.

Demanding that Warsaw should “no longer put up with this behavior” from Ukraine, Pakula remarked, “I urge you to rethink Poland’s position [regarding] this war in the event that the red line is crossed again!”

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    “The rocket could not be fired 100km in the opposite direction by mistake,” he added, asserting that the incident was an attempt to scare the EU into sending more money to Ukraine.

If my research is right, that's approx. 10 seconds of flight time.
    10 seconds in a 'combat' situation, yes I can see it.

And as for the wrong direction. Even if you have a 95 percent accuracy, there's still that 5 percent error.

MANY of the civie deaths in Pearl Harbor were caused by the US Navy's response.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Not to mention that one awkward time we bombed Switzerland. Or the battle of Los Angeles.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen something like this a lot sooner, and a lot more often.
    Wait the *one* time we bombed Switzerland? I've been reading a lot of memoirs by WW II veterans, and more than one 8th Air Force vet alluded to some crews jettisoning their bombs over what ended up being Swiss territory, usually in an effort to stay aloft after battle damage. Also alluded to was the fact that German airmen in Swiss POW camps were, as a rule, treated much better than their American counterparts.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not to mention that one awkward time we bombed Switzerland. Or the battle of Los Angeles.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen something like this a lot sooner, and a lot more often.
    A small problem with longer ranged 'smart' machines.

A battleship in the gulf was hit by 'friendly fire' when another ship mistook it's chaff for the incoming enemy missile, and fired thru the chaff into the BB.

Torpedoes have hit wrong ships.
    Torpedoes have had jammed rudders, forcing the torp into a circle. The end of a circle, is the beginning, meaning the sub is attacked by it's own weapon.
    Early in ship launched missile history, missiles randomly would lose control. Caused by Electro Magnetic Interference. Took a while to figure out what was causing it. They could destroy it, because they were launching ONE missile the crew could concentrate on.
    The great vaunted 'smart' bombs in the Gulf would lose lock, or lock on wrong target, or just plain fail.

It SUCKS. And it needs to be worked on.

But it is not unheard of.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    A small problem with longer ranged 'smart' machines.

A battleship in the gulf was hit by 'friendly fire' when another ship mistook it's chaff for the incoming enemy missile, and fired thru the chaff into the BB.

Torpedoes have hit wrong ships.
    Torpedoes have had jammed rudders, forcing the torp into a circle. The end of a circle, is the beginning, meaning the sub is attacked by it's own weapon.
    Early in ship launched missile history, missiles randomly would lose control. Caused by Electro Magnetic Interference. Took a while to figure out what was causing it. They could destroy it, because they were launching ONE missile the crew could concentrate on.
    The great vaunted 'smart' bombs in the Gulf would lose lock, or lock on wrong target, or just plain fail.

It SUCKS. And it needs to be worked on.

But it is not unheard of.

Bringing this full circle back to Ukraine...

Many NAFO types were saying A5 was triggered and that NATO must invade Russia as a result of this accident.

Therefor since it is now known to have been a Ukrainian missile, it is only fair to assume these people would be interested in invading Ukraine.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bringing this full circle back to Ukraine...

Many NAFO types were saying A5 was triggered and that NATO must invade Russia as a result of this accident.

Therefor since it is now known to have been a Ukrainian missile, it is only fair to assume these people would be interested in invading Ukraine.
    So, when Pearl Harbor was attacked, and the US Navy hit civies, we should have declared war on the US Navy?

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    1668717719758-png.237206

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom