• ...and so much more!
  • 76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I don’t want to dig in the snow for the brass

...on this, is it OK if we utilize a rifle mounted brass catcher?

I just spent the last week doing case prep and really starting to think I’d hate for all of it to be for a single reload of each of these cases.

My rifle SHOULD run fine with this ammo (XM193 homegrown) and I shouldn’t have any crazy **** happen that I would need to clear malfunction...but now that I said that, just watch.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    ...on this, is it OK if we utilize a rifle mounted brass catcher?

I just spent the last week doing case prep and really starting to think I’d hate for all of it to be for a single reload of each of these cases.

My rifle SHOULD run fine with this ammo (XM193 homegrown) and I shouldn’t have any crazy **** happen that I would need to clear malfunction...but now that I said that, just watwatch
    Bring it. Is it easy to take on and off? Some drills it may be in the way, but surely not all of them. My hunch is that not many people are going to mess with finding their brass so with a little effort you could leave with a lot more than you came with, even if you aren't catching your own.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    ...even if you aren't catching your own.

that’s kind of the issue, lol. I already prepped all this once to load it...typically it will not require much more if any prep to be reloaded again.

My once-fired brass takes a week of nights to prep and get ready to load (if done in batches of 1000 cases), but twice fired brass gets tumbled/lubed and run through the sizer/deprimed/reprised/powder filled/capped off with a projectile all within the matter of a few hours.

Definitely not trying to drift the thread...I’ll bring the brass catcher (yes, it’s easy to remove) and will just take it off it it’s in the way.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    In that case, shall I taunt you a second time? I'd love to see how you sling up a Garand!
    I give up on making it a Garand day. I just don’t want to dig in the snow for empty clips. They sink fast.
    Plus I had a colonoscopy yesterday so my manliness has taken a hit.

But here is what I think is the key to getting a tacticoolish sling setup on a Garand. You have to borrow from the Italians.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I give up on making it a Garand day. I just don’t want to dig in the snow for empty clips. They sink fast.
    Plus I had a colonoscopy yesterday so my manliness has taken a hit.

But here is what I think is the key to getting a tacticoolish sling setup on a Garand. You have to borrow from the Italians.
    We killed Nigel, violated his carcass, and stole his stuff. Couldn’t have been better.
    Well poop ... I guess that’s what I missed by leaving early.
    Ignore Barry he’s self medicating......again.
    I have your tools plus a set of ear pro and a cleaning kit. Not sure if it’s all yours but I have it.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I am self medicating. I’d say ignore anything I say for the next 12 hours, but that’s probably when I’ll do my best work.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for the great class, Nigel! I really appreciate your effort, along with that of all the other excellent volunteers, to provide this excellent training opportunity!! The drills were fun and challenging for sure.

The weather was great, all things considered. Most effective use of a day and a couple hundred rounds (+/-) I've had in a while. Safe class with a bunch of good shooters, which made everything super-enjoyable.

Hope to see you all again soon!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Another excellent carbine class put on by the RR crew. I think this is the best value for your training dollar you can find. This was only a 1 day class, but we covered a lot of (snow covered) ground in that time.

It was listed as a 250 round count class, but I counted my ammo when I got home and it turns out I actually only fired 110 rounds. I sure didn't feel gyped or disappointed at all, as each round had a purpose.

This was an excellent day for testing gear, with temps in the teens and twenties and six inches of snow on the ground. I learned a few things about my setup. First, I need to either lose a few pounds or get a slightly longer inner belt for my battle belt. I did manage to get everything cinched down around my coat, but it took some effort and a lot of sucking in my gut. But once it was on, nothing moved and mags were where I expected them to be every time, even when rolling around in the snow. I'm pretty much a battle belt only guy at this point. I did bring a chest rig, but didn't use it at all.

I also purposely didn't lube my rifle before the class, nor did I check the zero on my Sig Romeo 5 before we got started. The gun (complete BCM) ran like a champ and the red dot was dead on all day. I have tested that little Sig red dot a lot, and it's just super simple to operate with a compact footprint. I am really growing to love it.

I was very happy with my accuracy all day (until the qualifier). I got all my hits with just about every drill, including all 11 with the VTAC boards. Speaking of, I like having a robust rail mounted light close enough to my muzzle to be able to use the light as a brace on the barricade. That added a lot of stability. I can also say that shooting at those odd angles and positions is so much easier with a red dot than irons only, which I did last time through this class.

Conditions were an extra layer of difficulty all day, and that showed with the qualifier course. No one was able to beat the par time, even after Nigel made it easier at the end. I did a decent job the first time through, but jacked up my time by mucking up an administrative reload early in the stage. (Note to self: you only need to put in a fresh mag on an admin reload. Push-pull to make sure mag is seated. If you don't properly seat the mag, you'll have an empty gun when you stupidly rack the charging handle when you didn't need to. Then you'll end up having to do a tap, rack, bang and add 10 seconds to your time.)

The biggest lesson I learned was gear related. I stuffed some Hot Hands packets in my boots to keep my toes warm, but I didn't do it right at all. I kept wondering why they never really got hot. It turns out you do need to leave them exposed to air for a while before they heat up properly. I just opened the bag and shoved them in my boots right away. They didn't have enough air movement to get hot. It wasn't until I took them out at the end of the day that they started heating up. Next time I will open them up in the car about 20 minutes before arriving at the range to give them time to get hot.

Anyway, it was good to see some familiar faces and meet some new guys. I had a lot of fun and always enjoy seeing what gear other people are using and how they approach drills. I always pick up something I haven't seen or tried before.

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks to the brave 19 that spent the long day battling it out.
    Already working on revisions to make it better. Not easier but better.
    It was hard to know what to expect before we all got there but ‘we’ collectively got it done.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Ba
    Thanks for the great class, Nigel! I really appreciate your effort, along with that of all the other excellent volunteers, to provide this excellent training opportunity!! The drills were fun and challenging for sure.

The weather was great, all things considered. Most effective use of a day and a couple hundred rounds (+/-) I've had in a while. Safe class with a bunch of good shooters, which made everything super-enjoyable.

Hope to see you all again soon!
    Always a pleasure Darrell & thanks.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Oh yeah, I'd be remiss if I didn't share my favorite nad63 quote, which he repeated throughout the day to really drive the point home for us. And that is, "was that group 1 or group 2 that just went? I can't remember." :stickpoke:

But seriously, great job with the drills Nigel. You, smiledochill, TJ, Slim put on a top notch event. We are all better regulated today, even if none of us earned the patch.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom