• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2015
    Lexington
    To give you an idea of what gear you should bring, these range bag pictures are from the July shoot at Atterbury. At the end of Day 2, back at their vehicles, shooters were instructed to empty their range bag/packs and make two piles; the left pile of everything they used, and the right pile of everything they didn't use.

Keep in mind that you will be walking several miles each day, and just ask yourself “is this item really worth lugging that far?”.

"Bring everything you need and nothing you will not use."

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    My Gear

Not including lunch, this is what I am planning to carry each day.

gear.JPG

Clockwise from 12:00
    - Backpack.
    - Water
    - Clean cloth
    - Ear protection
    - Shooting glasses
    - Sumtin to write on, and with
    - Two empty endblock clips, in case an empty is not handy
    - First aid
    - 10x42 binoculars and chest case
    - Pillow case to collect brass and clips
    - 3 bandoleers of M2 Ball reloads

My range gear always includes a breakdown range rod, a 1/4" drive socket wrench for the gas plug, a small multitool, and sun covers for my glasses. So I imagine those will be somewhere around.

If it is muddy, I may bring along a 12"x24" thin rubber floor mat to lay clips on in prep periods.

Depending on the temp I will be in either poly base layer and wool outer layer, or poly base layer and cotton outer layer. If over 35 degrees then rain gear, if under 35 degrees then wind barrier.

If it will be below freezing, a John-E handwarmer will be in my pocket (I gave up on HotHands and went back to the gear I can count on) and my Mad Bomber hat will be on my noggin, the good one made from bunnies. 40 gram Thinsulate shell gloves and snow boots round it out.

That's it, the rest can sit in the truck. I think I need a smaller backpack.

DAve

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I went to my friends farm today to check my zero and to road test some of my new gear. I came back with lots of take-aways, both good and bad.

On the good side, I'm pretty confident in my 25/200 yard zero for my '42 SA M1. It took 14 clicks up from the bottom to be on the mark at 25 yards. Shooting prone, I did pretty well shooting 8 rounds at rifleman's cadence.

On the bad side, with my fat belly and the winter clothing, I had lots trouble with the sitting position. My group doubled in size, when I tried the sitting position. I will work on that at home.

The other thing that I learned is that the two shot enbloc clips don't work the way I thought they'd work. They work; but, they take 3 hands to load. They didn't lock into the rifle like the regular enblocs do. So, to get them to work, I had to cradle the rifle in my left arm, release the bolt and ease it forward with my left hand, holding the clip at just the right height with my right thumb, whilst keeping my right hand in the "don't let the bolt drop on my thumb" position. I'm new to these sleds. Maybe it just takes practice.

So, I have one of three rifles zeroed and the first 24 entries in a new dope book. I hope to be able to get out and practice twice with each rifle before the big show...one down, five to go.

Should I adjust the elevation knob so that it is set at 200 once, I'm sure I have zero at 25?

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you know your click value, I would do nothing. It is nice to use the markings on the range knob, but not needed if you have dope. Wait until you have the load you like (Creedmore factory, HXP, Hornady match, reloads, whatever) and then when your position is solid and you shoot consistently every time, reset your drum.

After five years I still have not set my drum. Maybe with these reloads, I might. I am 14 clicks up at 100 yards and was dead on since I shot it last in warm weather. It was in the teens this morning when I checked my zero.

DAve

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    That makes sense. Theoretically, this M1 should be 13 clicks from the bottom to zero at 100 yards, if it is 14 up for 25/200. I will start at 100 yards next time and test that theory.

I'm pretty much committed to HXP for the near future. I have been trying to stock pile it while the CMP was selling spam cans so affordably. I plan to reload; but, not for a few more years. By then, I'll have a nice stock pile of once fired brass.

I'm really looking forward to this event.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Don't sweat where it "should be", Garands can't read. They have no idea what the internet thinks they should do. Get your dope, verify it, trust it.

DAve

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    The M1 is very specifically designed to operate on a full en bloc. To use the two rounder you have to lock the bolt back, sit the two rounder in the runway, and then using a hand shaped like a blade with the thumb in behind the index finger, drive the clip down and hold it there. The heel of the bladed hand then rocks the bolt back and releases it allowing it to pass forward of the bridge. Then you just yank your hand out. It and rokkit surgery but it seems to be one of those things like a somersault, some folks can do and some can't seem to get it figured.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Don't sweat where it "should be", Garands can't read. They have no idea what the internet thinks they should do. Get your dope, verify it, trust it.

DAve

LOL! Reminds me of the scene in Jeremiah Johnson ....

Jeremiah Johnson: [Jeremiah and Bear Claw hunt elk] Wind's right, but he'll just run soon as we step out of these trees.
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Trick to it. Walk out on this side of your horse.
    Jeremiah Johnson: What if he sees our feet?
    Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not including lunch, this is what I am planning to carry each day.

gear.JPG

Clockwise from 12:00
    - Backpack.
    - Water
    - Clean cloth
    - Ear protection
    - Shooting glasses
    - Sumtin to write on, and with
    - Two empty endblock clips, in case an empty is not handy
    - First aid
    - 10x42 binoculars and chest case
    - Pillow case to collect brass and clips
    - 3 bandoleers of M2 Ball reloads

My range gear always includes a breakdown range rod, a 1/4" drive socket wrench for the gas plug, a small multitool, and sun covers for my glasses. So I imagine those will be somewhere around.

If it is muddy, I may bring along a 12"x24" thin rubber floor mat to lay clips on in prep periods.

Depending on the temp I will be in either poly base layer and wool outer layer, or poly base layer and cotton outer layer. If over 35 degrees then rain gear, if under 35 degrees then wind barrier.

If it will be below freezing, a John-E handwarmer will be in my pocket (I gave up on HotHands and went back to the gear I can count on) and my Mad Bomber hat will be on my noggin, the good one made from bunnies. 40 gram Thinsulate shell gloves and snow boots round it out.

That's it, the rest can sit in the truck. I think I need a smaller backpack.

DAve

I would consider carrying a rifle, but thats just me.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I'm thinking of signing up but I know I'm not much for cold weather. I'd be more apt to attend if my brother would be interested in going as well. He has a new AR that he wants to put through its paces.
    He has never done one of these type events though. He started out in the marine corps years ago, back to civilian life for a couple years, then into AF and retired from there a little over a year ago. I think I can take him to the range and get him refreshed on sling use and shooting positions. I've done 3 AS's, one of which was a KD and one RR basic rifle event in Noblesville.
    Would this be sufficient to qualify him to shoot this event?
    Are there any more of these events planned for Atterbury during the warmer months? We could delay and attend Atterbury later if there is another after attending a basic rifle at another location.
    I know there aren't any IN basic rifle events scheduled as yet and I'd hate to miss time on the Atterbury range.

Thanks, Matt

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'm thinking of signing up but I know I'm not much for cold weather. I'd be more apt to attend if my brother would be interested in going as well. He has a new AR that he wants to put through its paces.
    He has never done one of these type events though. He started out in the marine corps years ago, back to civilian life for a couple years, then into AF and retired from there a little over a year ago. I think I can take him to the range and get him refreshed on sling use and shooting positions. I've done 3 AS's, one of which was a KD and one RR basic rifle event in Noblesville.
    Would this be sufficient to qualify him to shoot this event?
    Are there any more of these events planned for Atterbury during the warmer months? We could delay and attend Atterbury later if there is another after attending a basic rifle at another location.
    I know there aren't any IN basic rifle events scheduled as yet and I'd hate to miss time on the Atterbury range.

Thanks, Matt

I've taken a 1st timer novice shooter o Atterbury. I got him up to speed at my home range. He did fine and had a great time. I say bring the brother and grab a shooting Lane next to him.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    This is the perfect time of year for an Atturbury shoot. You will shoot better in this weather than you would 100+ degree weather. You will move enough to stay warm. Last shoot we had there was to hot.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Last Atterbury KD I did was 40's and non stop rain on Saturday. Nothing like paying to be cold and wet for 8 or 10 hours!
    The cold isn't bad if you are geared up for it. I'm not a hunter or much of an outdoorsman for that matter. I just like to shoot rifles. I have no cold weather gear other than my $18 Realtree coat I got at Walmart. I may have a pair of gloves and a stocking cap in my truck for emergencies.

Matt

Top Bottom