• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have never shot any else's target, but have had mine shot often.
    I don't get too worked up because I've had a safety violation every shoot I've ever been to... Sometimes it's as simple as being asked to take one step back on the firing line, or leaving chamber flag out or safety off, or mag on the mat. Once it was shooting without getting the fire command.

Having my target shot at by someone else, is pretty miniscule in comparison to my numbskullery, in my book. Maybe I should start shooting other people's targets?! :D

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Cross shooting is just something that happens. It happens at Perry (I know a guy who cross shot by 7 backers at Perry) and it happens in the backyard. A big part of across the course shooting in this style is having a system and shot plan in place and focusing on it. If you are still trying to hammer out a position that works or are still trying to figure out how to keep track of comeups then you are behind in what you need to be focusing on. If you are behind you are inherently thinking about the wrong things. Staying ahead is about preparation, which creates relaxation, which creates better focus. Not having your head at the right place at the right time is not a great sin, it just means there is a place to go in your development. Some tricks for staying ahead

1. Carry less $#!+. Carrying too much stuff will wear you out or add extra things you need to think about. We have been preaching this for 5 years and are JUST NOW starting to see a difference. I'll admit to carrying more stuff than I needed this time (I was actually training for backcountry hunting out West) but what I actually used fit in two small compartments on my pack and probably weighs less than ten pounds.

2. Know your gear and use that to predict outcomes. You need to know your sights before you show up. My wife's A2 is half by half, Dave's M1 was one by one. So, when I shot my box drill I was able to predict exactly the outcome I expected to see. No time was spent afterwords wondering why something went the wrong direction or the hoodad didn't scopilate. Through practice I knew what it was going to do so that box drill became an exercise in proving expected function. It told me all was within operating parameters (myself included) and I could move on. If that drill is a discovery drill, you are behind already. Does that make sense?

3. Keep it simple. One of the funnier things to me over the course of the weekend was how many guys had miliradian setups but had no idea how to calculate their adjustment OR had a chart from a ballistic calculator that proposed outcomes not reflected in reality. There is no substitute for raw data, its why you're there. Not having a full grasp of miliradian calculation on game day is a serious mistake, forgivable, but serious. Trusting a computer generated ballistic chart and basing adjustments on that versus basing adjustments on what your target tells you is indeed unforgivable. I wouldn't banish anyone from the dinner table over it, but I would give him nine kind of grief. When getting comeups its very easy to collect data. If you have just zeroed at 25, shoot that zero at 100 and make your adjustment based on sending good shots and reading the backer. Then shoot the 100 yard zero at 200 and make your adjustments. so on and so forth. If you have a known zero, then adjust to an unknown zero based on a computer calculation that may or may not be flawed while you have the opportunity to learn a confirmed zero, then you end up off the backer because some input was wrong on the ballistics calculator and you have no idea what to do next... I think that is proof worms have eaten your brain.

4. Have a process. Something like: A. Drop your pack. B. Get your data book out. C. Catalog your environmentals D. Prep your mag. E. Talk sh!+ to your neighbors. F. Get in Prep. G. add elevation adjustment. H. Make wind call and dial it in. I. Send them. J. Safe your rifle and reset your windage. K. Make notes in data book. L. Pack up your gear. M. Go somewhere else and do it all again.

5. Do it all again only awesomer.

Greyson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2016
    Irvington/Indy
    The event is long past yet I read every word.

With further research, I see a 2 day event near Richmond in May.
    I will be there. I will drag some friends along with me.

Thanks for this INGO.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I shot a 39 on caffeine. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I shot 39 on caffeine & nicotine... which huff pointed out, the nicotine calmed the caffeine... hence my comment.
    I also shot without having been given the fire command... so there's THAT. :(
    seriously bummed me up... 1 shot off on standing all because I didn't rest when I knew better.
    though, it was 25 yd.
    Best kd was 36, missing 2 rounds (short loaded standing mag to 9 rounds, and didn't get one shot off on stage 2 due to time)

In fairness, I didn't have caffeine on that kd. They don't have no outlets to plug my keurig into.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Cross shooting is just something that happens. It happens at Perry (I know a guy who cross shot by 7 backers at Perry) and it happens in the backyard. A big part of across the course shooting in this style is having a system and shot plan in place and focusing on it. If you are still trying to hammer out a position that works or are still trying to figure out how to keep track of comeups then you are behind in what you need to be focusing on. If you are behind you are inherently thinking about the wrong things. Staying ahead is about preparation, which creates relaxation, which creates better focus. Not having your head at the right place at the right time is not a great sin, it just means there is a place to go in your development. Some tricks for staying ahead

1. Carry less $#!+. Carrying too much stuff will wear you out or add extra things you need to think about. We have been preaching this for 5 years and are JUST NOW starting to see a difference. I'll admit to carrying more stuff than I needed this time (I was actually training for backcountry hunting out West) but what I actually used fit in two small compartments on my pack and probably weighs less than ten pounds.

2. Know your gear and use that to predict outcomes. You need to know your sights before you show up. My wife's A2 is half by half, Dave's M1 was one by one. So, when I shot my box drill I was able to predict exactly the outcome I expected to see. No time was spent afterwords wondering why something went the wrong direction or the hoodad didn't scopilate. Through practice I knew what it was going to do so that box drill became an exercise in proving expected function. It told me all was within operating parameters (myself included) and I could move on. If that drill is a discovery drill, you are behind already. Does that make sense?

3. Keep it simple. One of the funnier things to me over the course of the weekend was how many guys had miliradian setups but had no idea how to calculate their adjustment OR had a chart from a ballistic calculator that proposed outcomes not reflected in reality. There is no substitute for raw data, its why you're there. Not having a full grasp of miliradian calculation on game day is a serious mistake, forgivable, but serious. Trusting a computer generated ballistic chart and basing adjustments on that versus basing adjustments on what your target tells you is indeed unforgivable. I wouldn't banish anyone from the dinner table over it, but I would give him nine kind of grief. When getting comeups its very easy to collect data. If you have just zeroed at 25, shoot that zero at 100 and make your adjustment based on sending good shots and reading the backer. Then shoot the 100 yard zero at 200 and make your adjustments. so on and so forth. If you have a known zero, then adjust to an unknown zero based on a computer calculation that may or may not be flawed while you have the opportunity to learn a confirmed zero, then you end up off the backer because some input was wrong on the ballistics calculator and you have no idea what to do next... I think that is proof worms have eaten your brain.

4. Have a process. Something like: A. Drop your pack. B. Get your data book out. C. Catalog your environmentals D. Prep your mag. E. Talk sh!+ to your neighbors. F. Get in Prep. G. add elevation adjustment. H. Make wind call and dial it in. I. Send them. J. Safe your rifle and reset your windage. K. Make notes in data book. L. Pack up your gear. M. Go somewhere else and do it all again.

5. Do it all again only awesomer.

Thanks Huff! Great post. After attending my first KD with you and the rest of the gang last weekend I can appreciate your advice/insight even more. Big learning experience for me for sure.

Top Bottom