• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks to all the volunteers that made this event GREAT! These KD shoots are extra work for everyone and it's not easy for sure.

I came away will all sorts of good data on my rifle, a greater appreciation for wind and its effects on a bullet's trajectory, and some excellent comradery with like-minded individuals choosing liberty!!

Can't wait to attend another event.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Everyone did very well, lots of nice groups, lots of good scores. No target was safe at any distance this weekend. We saw several Marksman scores and I think Hop has enough Expert scores to wallpaper his man cave now. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Hats off to the management, Sharon and Kevin ran a great event. They should do it again. Thank you everyone for a fantastic weekend.

I shot terrible, it has been too long since I crawled behind an M1. I was happy with my data though and I learned I need a different sight picture with my new eye prescription. Getting old is not for the faint hearted. My targets showed a distinct multiple group pattern on several stages. A sure sign of changing sight picture, or fatigue. I thought my position was solid (excepting seated) and the ammo ran fine. For shooting a service grade rifle with ball ammo I cannot complain. I certainly have my work to do if I want to shoot expert again with an M1 though.

Huff performed outstanding, the match rifle he built for his wife is what he shot and he kept everything in a solid 2MOA or less group all weekend. The rifle may be top of the line performance wise, but marksmanship is the determining factor and his marksmanship was excellent. He ended up with multiple Master scored targets.

He clearly knows what he is about.

Soooo, Huff outshot my scores by a large margin, but I nailed almost all of his balloons before he could get on target: Offhand, end of the weekend, using ball ammo, with a 30 caliber BATTLE RIFLE. I had my moment in the sun. ;)

TJ and Rayne. The question is now answered, Huff shoots better than me. :D

DAve

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Meh. First, it's not really a match rifle. It's not floated and the barrel isn't technically match cut (but it's close). It is a hot setup.

Second, if Mario Andretti squared up to AJ Foyt and Mario was in a Ferrari and AJ was in a 1965 Corvair it wouldn't really be a race, would it?

Third, I was trying to accomplish a different goal than you were.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That wind was incredible! I tried to wait for the gusts to die down but it just kept a coming. My 69 grain bullets were drifting clear across the target.

If I only hadn't put 8 rounds into Nigel's target he might have made marksman. Sorry buddy. :facepalm:

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Meh. First, it's not really a match rifle. It's not floated and the barrel isn't technically match cut (but it's close). It is a hot setup.

Second, if Mario Andretti squared up to AJ Foyt and Mario was in a Ferrari and AJ was in a 1965 Corvair it wouldn't really be a race, would it?

Third, I was trying to accomplish a different goal than you were.

Meh - Bah,

If I had shot a Sharpshooter score I would have called it a dead heat. But I didn't. You made a sieve out of the 6" paper plate.

Hop, you might have been drifting in the wind today, but a 1.5 MOA target hit with a cold shot at 500 yards at the end of a long day yesterday? You slipped up and let your skill set show.

DAve

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    I was honored to share the line with you guys this weekend. Half the reason I signed up for this event was the people that would be in attendance. The other half, we'll, it was a kd at atterbury. The staff was great
    Awesome local history. Great group of line instructors. The pit guys were awesome, thank you, all. This was also one of the best groups of students I have seen. There was not much lolly gagging, and there was a ton of data sharing, helpful suggestions, and all around great attitude. The wind was horrific and wonderful at the same time. The challenge was rough and the data was plentiful. I learned a ton about my set up and myself. It was humbling. I will see you guys on the line again, soon.

-JV-

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Just Cuz nobody has put it up yet.....we may or may not have altered some targets in the pits :)

25at2kh.jpg

Tinypic sux....brb 20170212_135753.jpg

20170212_133249.jpg

Ps: anybody notice all those center hits? This man knows what he is about

Last edited:

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    It's true, huff does heart Dave, huff doesn't want to live in a world where that's something you're supposed to be ashamed of, and if he does find himself in that world, well....*spit* targets don't lie.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    No radioactive gator pic? We really wanted to shoot it, but we had data to collect and Huff kept me on the path to better marksmanship. So I kept MaryAnn's front post on the target.

But I really wanted to shoot it.

DAve

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The radios you donated? I found one in the pit box, and suspect UL has the others. I'm sure that we'll have everything sorted out by the Richmond A&A Optics event.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    I hope Dave got the message that EVERYBODY hearts him.

Chris said something was being presented. I figured it would be a funny card and maybe a $5 Dunkin Doughnuts gift card, if I was lucky.

It was all unexpected and humbling, I didn't say much because I was completely speechless. None of it sunk in until I got home and was talking to my wife.

DAve

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks to everyone that made this happen. Not only the folks on the firing line side of things but the unhung heroes in the pits (Astrid & bocefus78) and the hung heroes too!

Every event I think I am 'squared away but find that is not true. I am certainly more prepared than the event before but there is always something more to learn, refine or tweak. The more I learn the more I realize I need to learn. This is one of the things that keeps me returning. That along with the camaraderie found at such gatherings.

Hat's off to the individuals that managed to qualify on the AQT's. I was amazed at how well some people shot and wouldn't have believed it possible had I not witnessed it first hand.
    The best score I managed was a 25/40 and I was proud of that. I scored a zero on the 400 yard target due to playing with my BDC and also adjusting MOA. The ability to reverse mistakes, because I had written down/recorded what I had done, and complete the course of fire making good hits only reinforces the value of what you are taught at these events. Sometimes you learn more from your mistakes.

This was also the first event where I ever adjusted for the effect of wind. It never really concerned me much until this weekend and the education was enlightening. Seeing those flags billowing in the wind every 100 yards and the education UL provided sensitized me to something that I felt didn't really affect me. I normally don't shoot 400-500 yards but I will certainly allow for wind in subsequent longer distance shoots.

Aside from the shooting aspect, reuniting with old friends and acquaintances plus meeting new people really makes these events. It's nice to hear new stories and different perspectives and share a laugh of two.

Already looking forward to the next one.

Nigel

caulfieldian

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    West of Indy
    I enjoyed soaking up all the info I could this weekend. I also learned the value of recording dope correctly. I messed up windage dope in my data book and overcompensated later in the afternoon because I didn't record my initial zero from the sighters in the morning. I'll definitely not do that again!

I definitely need to work on my seated and standing positions. I made good hits, but they were sloppy and all over the black. Practice, practice, practice!

I look forward to doing this again.

Top Bottom