• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Is this something that could be shot with a AKMS that has a 30/200 battle zero and with me having about a year's experiance shooting NRA 3 postion smallbore? I mean within about 150 yards, 200 yards I can do some pretty good work with the AK, but with those irons and the decreased velocity and bullet drop outside of 200 things start to get really squirrely.

Is there any of the Carbine classes in Indiana or nearby states from now until early may (im leaving the state then)

Keep in mind, this is a MOM (minute of man) type shoot, not an MOA (minute of angle) type shoot. Whats the worst thing that can happen? You always learn more from miss's than hits.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    With luck, I'll be there both days to run the pits again. You guys can shoot and have fun, I'll put in the work. I don't want Huff feeling like he's being overused or anything.

Is this something that could be shot with a AKMS
    Yes. I did so a few years ago. Ran the slider sight on top the rifle and it was dead on with match grade Tula straight off the Walmart shelf. I didn't shoot the score but I gained a lot of confidence in this rifle for field use. Highlights were a 3moa sighter group at 300 yards and probably 50% hits at 400 and 500. It's hard to get consistent groups with it but if you do your part you'll be pretty close.

I found the barrel would heat up and throw shots after rapid fire but when it was cool, it would shoot pretty well. With this event being in February, you have the cooler air to help you out. Plus, I'm not that good a shooter so it's quite possible you'll do better than I did. I say bring it.

One recommendation - Put a "kisser button" on your stock so you get consistent cheek weld. In true AK fashion, I duct taped a rock to mine.

Is there any of the Carbine classes in Indiana or nearby states from now until early may (im leaving the state then)
    Our first Carbine class of the year is a one day class tentatively scheduled for May 28th. Looks like you'll just miss us.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Do I need to order any special enblocs? ...like two round or five round??
    I know there area stages where you shoot 2 and 8 rounds with a reload. This isn't competition training so I can't imagine anyone would complain just shooting 8 then reload, shoot 2 then empty and show clear. If you need or want partial clips let me check my stash before buying. I may have some. If I do you are welcome to them. I don't even own a Garand anymore.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I know there area stages where you shoot 2 and 8 rounds with a reload. This isn't competition training so I can't imagine anyone would complain just shooting 8 then reload, shoot 2 then empty and show clear. If you need or want partial clips let me check my stash before buying. I may have some. If I do you are welcome to them. I don't even own a Garand anymore.

The 2 and 8 is sort of what I expected.

I appreciate the kind offer and if you don't have any, let me know. I'll just buy some from the CMP or Garand Gear.

For me this will be competition training of sorts. So, I might as well get started doing things right!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    There will most certainly be qualifiers shot at this event, and the qualifiers are timed. Both the 2nd and 3rd stages will require reloading the rifle, and they're always shot as 2 rounds first, then 8 rounds.

You don't need a special clip to load 2 rounds into an M1. You can drop in a standard clip and 2 loose rounds, or you can crisscross 2 round in a standard clip.

If you need / want a 2 round clip, you can make your own, or buy / borrow some. I bought some to use with my rifle, and they didn't work. The clip wouldn't lock in, so I learned how to load 2 using the crisscross method. Huff had a bunch of 2 round clips at the Garand Clinic. I'll have to check to see if he has any remaining. If so, they'll be at Atterbury.

Here's a few links to show how to set up a standard clip with crisscrossed rounds. Jump to 2:45 on this first video to see the crisscross method.

[video=youtube;I6_o-5vOm-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6_o-5vOm-A[/video]

Here's one more videos showing the same thing.

[video=youtube;vnwqGvwUYNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnwqGvwUYNk[/video]

Finally, a video showing a nice smooth reload of an M1

[video=youtube;8bycn0rsxVE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bycn0rsxVE[/video]

And to wrap this up ... here's a link to Fulton Armory showing you how to make your own 2 round clip

[FONT=&amp]Fulton Armory FAQ: How to make two round M1 Garand Clips[/FONT]

Hope this helps. See you at Atterbury!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    If you use the criss-cross method, make some dummies and practice using them in prone and seated, with gloves on. It works just fine, but you only get one shot at it and then they sometimes go all wonkified.

DAve

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    If you use the criss-cross method, make some dummies and practice using them in prone and seated, with gloves on. It works just fine, but you only get one shot at it and then they sometimes go all wonkified.

DAve

Yeah. Actually, I was taught to do the criss-cross method at my first Appleseed event at Lovemywoods' woods many years ago. It might be tough with winter gloves.

I've ordered 4 of them. As it is my intention to shoot matches at some point, they'll be nice to have around. I also ordered a couple of Rifle Dope Books.

I'm still bummed that I missed the Garand event! Dang it!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2015
    Lexington
    RE: Civilian On-Base Lodging for this Event
    Shooters are eligible for lodging on base for this event. You will need to call and reserve a room and place a deposit with your credit card. You have your choice of a Premium (1-person) room at $30 per night, or a Deluxe room at $35 per night (double occupancy...on a pull out type sleeper for the 2nd person). A Deluxe room also gets you your own bathroom, as opposed to sharing a bathroom with another room like the lowly Premium people. The number to call is 812-526-1128. You may have to leave a message and they will call you back. When you talk to them they will ask what unit you are with. You will tell them you are a civilian and will be on base to shoot in the "rifle match" on February 11 and 12th. That should do it. The base campground is also open, and although the RV water hookups are shut off, the shower house should still be operable. I would confirm that when you call, if you want to go that route.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Is this something we can do if we haven't attended the basic rifle course?

I'm not an instructor for this event but I was wondering if you have shot previously and intensively with a sling from field positions?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Is this something we can do if we haven't attended the basic rifle course?

Here's a link to the event listing from the Revere's Riders web site ... Upcoming Events ? Rifle 262 (Field Rifle) ? Two Day (Camp Atterbury, Indiana) ? Revere's Riders

The key is in the first line ... Prerequisites: Suggested — Revere’s Riders Basic Rifle* or previous experience with CMP, 3-Position Highpower, or NRA disciplines.

If you have any questions that your experience is sufficient, or any other questions about this event, please contact Unbridled Liberty at ... KY@ReveresRiders.org

nbunga

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Here's a link to the event listing from the Revere's Riders web site ... Upcoming Events ? Rifle 262 (Field Rifle) ? Two Day (Camp Atterbury, Indiana) ? Revere's Riders

The key is in the first line ... Prerequisites: Suggested — Revere’s Riders Basic Rifle* or previous experience with CMP, 3-Position Highpower, or NRA disciplines.

If you have any questions that your experience is sufficient, or any other questions about this event, please contact Unbridled Liberty at ... KY@ReveresRiders.org

Thanks TJ I'm all signed up and ready to go.

So what setup is everyone bringing?

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have enough 30-06 to use my 1903A3, enough GP11 to run my K31 and enough 300BLK to try my 8.5" SBR. I don't know what I'll use. Maybe I should start a new thread with a poll. :):

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Yes. I did so a few years ago. Ran the slider sight on top the rifle and it was dead on with match grade Tula straight off the Walmart shelf. I didn't shoot the score but I gained a lot of confidence in this rifle for field use. Highlights were a 3moa sighter group at 300 yards and probably 50% hits at 400 and 500. It's hard to get consistent groups with it but if you do your part you'll be pretty close.

Damn I thought that was the wolf shoot. I scored your target on that shoot, and you managed all 3 sighters under one backer with irons from 300.
    Rob (not me) had good things to say about that one!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom