• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have been thinking about going with the S&W Bodyguard. I am torn between that and the Ruger LCR

Personally I hate the Bodyguard. It bites. I find it very unpleasant to shoot. I can shoot off a couple boxes of ammo with my SP101 & it's no big deal. No major recoil or biting. I barely want to shoot one magazine off in the Bodyguard.

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    i am also looking for something along these lines, i need a revolver that can go in my pocket, i would prefer dao. 357, and a little heft, cause i would like to practice with it.
    6 shots makes me happy, but can suffer through with 5. so what do you guys think?

if it helps, i am a large man, with big pockets.
    for reference i can drop a cz82 in my pocket without it showing. its just not comfortable to sit with it in there.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Smith J frames are well priced and come in many models.

I have a Ruger DAO sp101 that I love, handles 357's well for a small framed revolver.

The 327 hasn't really taken off, hard to find ammo (at least not as easy as 38's or 357's), even brass for reloads seems hard to come by.

Charter Arm and Taurus make many models, but your best bet is a Smith or a Ruger.
    :+1:
    I am a big fan of the S&W J frames.
    Ruger also makes some nice revolvers.
    My go to revolver is my s&w 442 airweight. Very easy to carry in a variety of options and also nice to shoot as well.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Have shot a Smith 640, Ruger LCR & SP101 all 357. The Smith is a nice gun but they recommend not shooting a lot of 357 Magnum rounds through it. The Rugers are both nice. The SP101 tamed recoil the best because of the weight and also offered single action shooting if you don't have the bobbed hammer model. The trigger in double action is not nearly as nice as the LCR out of the box. The LCR is a handful for the 357 loads but is the most easily carried. Depending what your carry gun priorities are will help your decision. I have had a laser grip on them also and would highly recommend one for any short barrel pistol.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    In a 2" barrel, there is very little difference in muzzle velocity between a .38spl and .357mag but there is a HUGE difference in kick. We are issued Speer 135gr for short barrel. Great stuff. Good carry ammo in .38spl and you really don't lose anything by NOT moving to a .357. Oh, and if you decide to carry a .357...practice with .357 ammo. Don't puss out and whine that it kicks too much so you only practice with .38spl. Train how you carry.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Only 5 shots in a carry gun is suicidal. Get an 8 shot revolver with moon clips.

Eight shot? Good lord that thing would be a monster. How about a nice small 5 shot .38spl with 1 or 2 speed strips. I love the speed strips, they are flat in your pocket and reload quickly. I'm good 25yrds and closer with it. .38spl is a good round. Hell of a lot better than .380.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I havent read this whole thread but I will throw my hat in the ring for the Ruger LCR. I had one before my finance desided it looked cute in her purse.:rolleyes:

Oh well I guess now I have an excuse to buy an SP101. :D

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    In a 2" barrel, there is very little difference in muzzle velocity between a .38spl and .357mag but there is a HUGE difference in kick. We are issued Speer 135gr for short barrel. Great stuff. Good carry ammo in .38spl and you really don't lose anything by NOT moving to a .357. Oh, and if you decide to carry a .357...practice with .357 ammo. Don't puss out and whine that it kicks too much so you only practice with .38spl. Train how you carry.
    Most data i have seen says otherwise. Standard 38 spl. is 800 to 900 fps and standard 357 Magnum is 1600 to 1800(hot)fps.
    38 spl. +P is a little closer(1100 fps) but still not the same.

I do agree that you have to train with 357 because there is a dramatic difference in the way they shoot.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    The op never said anything about a pocket or back up gun so I'll throw in my suggestion for a good K frame Smith. I think in .357 it's the best power to size ratio out there in handguns. My preferred carry revolver is a S&W model 65. It's a 3" stainless barreled revolver with fixed sights and a round butt. Great carry gun, good power and much easier to shoot than a J frame. For pocket gun, I have a 442, centennial air weight. I'd prefer a 642 for finish durability, but this one came at a good price!

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I've carried the SP-101, several S&W Airweights and a Taurus .38. The best for concealment is the S&W hammer-less versions. Disappears in any pocket and it light weight. The Taurus isn't a bad option either as they tend to make better revolvers than semi-autos. The SP-101 is one of my favorite all around guns but it is considerably larger and heavier than it's S&W cousins. This makes for a more pleasant shooting experience but rules out pocket carry. I plan to add get another SP-101 as soon as the funds become available but for the size and weight of the gun I can get a Glock 26, 27 or 33 and have more rounds at my disposal.

The LCR's look nice but I haven't had and live-fire experience with them. I can say though that I like the trigger on the ones I've handled better than the SP-101.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    When it comes to carry guns, I have a J frame .38, a 1911, a ltwt commander 1911, a N frame 4" fixed sight 45 ACP, and a 2.75 inch N frame 8 shot round butt .357 magnum snub w/ moon clips.

The snub .357 is easier to shoot than the j frame, easier to get into action, has better sights, has more rounds, and is no more difficult to carry / conceal for me. FAR easier than any auto.

Its the perfect BUG gun as far as I am concerned.

J-frames are for women-sized hands.

The gun is useless unless you can make hits with it, and for ME, the J frame is very hard to make hits with.

Its just too baby-sized.

Alot of the "ITS TOO HEAVY!!!!" and "OMG that must be like hauling a boat anchor!" is from people who dont carry much if you ask me.

People who do carry know that weight doesnt matter, its about belt and holster. Its also about being effective with the gun, which the nancy boy "I cant carry a gun that weighs more than 13 oz " crowd doesnt seem to care much about.

Get a steel gun, its better than aluminum in every way that matters <IE making hits>, and HTFU and carry a gun that you can be effective with.

2.75 inch N frame gives you everything a revolver could.

1. Shootability.
    2. reloadability <full length ejector rod and moon clips>
    3. GRIP-ability.
    4. More ammo, which is of course the revolvers main shortcoming.

Thats my advice.

Dump the J frames.

Full sized service gun on the hip OWB, full sized snub revolver as a BUG. Thats the way to roll right there.

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    When I carry a revolver, which is not often now days, I carry my S&W 642. 5 rounds is enough for me, with something that light and easy to carry.

Dave

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    For what it is worth, my personal favorite would be a Smith and Wesson model 624, .44 Spl., 3" bbl (if you can find them.)

Right, it's a big gun, but it shoots a big bullet. If one is a revolver person, that would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom