• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm in the market to check out a revolver for CCW, just wondering if anyone has a recommended model. Most of the places I've been have just the ruger LCR. I don't care about brand right now, just want to check out what is available. Probably 38/357 but I've read a couple good reviews on the Federal .327 so I wouldn't be apposed to looking at that chambering either.

Throw out the recommendations or note any that you'd stay away from.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Smith J frames are well priced and come in many models.

I have a Ruger DAO sp101 that I love, handles 357's well for a small framed revolver.

The 327 hasn't really taken off, hard to find ammo (at least not as easy as 38's or 357's), even brass for reloads seems hard to come by.

Charter Arm and Taurus make many models, but your best bet is a Smith or a Ruger.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Smith J frames are well priced and come in many models.

I have a Ruger DAO sp101 that I love, handles 357's well for a small framed revolver.

The 327 hasn't really taken off, hard to find ammo (at least not as easy as 38's or 357's), even brass for reloads seems hard to come by.

Charter Arm and Taurus make many models, but your best bet is a Smith or a Ruger.

I agree. :yesway:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I really like my Ruger SP101 357. I carry it on the bike trail everyday. I've also concealed carried it IWB. It's a little heavy so you'd want to make sure your pants are tight enough to support it. Being on the heavy side also means there is very little recoil.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I love my S&W 637-2 .38 Special J-frame. I do not feel undergunned with her, nor do I feel suicidal when I only have her on me. As for load, I carry Federal Hydra-shok 129 gr +p in my snubbie. The 637 I have had some minor Performance Center work done to it; has an incredibly trigger; and amazingly accurate for a snubbie.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Do you need more than 5 shots to remove your self from a situation? More than likely not. Now if you want to have a 100 that's fine but I try to avoid getting myself in a position where 5 to 8 isn't enough. I am needing more than that I want a long gun:):

acarnahan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for all the comments & recommendations, I'll look around for the models that people have mentioned.
    I'm comfortable with only having 5 shots, if I need to reload then I should have ran away. Having said that, I usually carry a spare mag with semi-autos so I'll probably have a reload anyway. I realize semi-autos are reliable, my current was a G26 (sadly was stolen from my car, yes reported). Looking for a new carry piece and I'll likely go 38/357.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I've had a Smith 442, and currently have a .38 LCR. Either one would be a great choice, I like that the LCR is a tad lighter and has a little better trigger, but Smith is also a great choice. Smiths have nearly unlimited accessories made for them too.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife went for an LCR, that I installed a XS sight on for her, I went with the Simth 442. Both are awesome revolvers, but I am quite a bit more accurate with my smith, and she more accurate with her LCR. The only thing that tips the scales toward the Smith J frame in my mind is the nearly infinite aftermarket for it, letting you put together a CCW revolver that truly fits you.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Honestly, I think that any of the big-name brands will fit your bill. At this point, its just a matter of finding one in the right price range. I support the .357/.38 choice, too; great availability of ammo, and being able to use multiple calibers is ALWAYS a good thing.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ruger SP101. The extra weight over an Airweight will not be noticed in a good holster. It will be noticed on the firing line.

Available in .38/.357 and .327 (discontinued)

Nothing wrong with a J-frame S&W though.

What's your price range?

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    First do you want something with a hammer exposed, spurless, or totally enclosed? I would go with .357. You can shoot and carry .38spl. Plus, if you need to sell it later on, having a .357 vs. a .38spl will open up more possible buyers.

I have a Ruger LCR and I like it. Only have shot it maybe 18 times or so. .357 out of a snub nose will eventually be just too much, but most folks are going to shoot .38 at the range and load .357 for self-defense.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I have a charter arms undercover in .38. The gun is nice and hides so well on your side. Nice shot groups out to 25 yards for me, the only downside is 5 shots, and reloads(moon clips) are big and bulky.

Top Bottom