• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I remeber getting that 300 bad modem for my commodore. Thought I was Mathew Broderick.

I won't pay for internet right now. I have the original Verizon unlimited plan. I buy unlocked phones that don't have the Verizon bloatware and more importantly the software that prevents me from having to pay Verizon to hotspot my phone.

When I'm home the TV, that isn't connected to any cable, is streamed the internet connection from my phone and I watch whatever... its a smart TV so there's Netflix, and the other streaming services along with Samsung live TV. The old lady isn't crazy about it until we go out to eat whenever she doesn't want to cook and I remind her we're able to because i don't have to pay for internet or cable.

I use it the same way in my camper, the 12v TV has a fire stick that I can stream to as long as I have a signal.

It works most of the time than not.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I remeber getting that 300 bad modem for my commodore. Thought I was Mathew Broderick.

I won't pay for internet right now. I have the original Verizon unlimited plan. I buy unlocked phones that don't have the Verizon bloatware and more importantly the software that prevents me from having to pay Verizon to hotspot my phone.

When I'm home the TV, that isn't connected to any cable, is streamed the internet connection from my phone and I watch whatever... its a smart TV so there's Netflix, and the other streaming services along with Samsung live TV. The old lady isn't crazy about it until we go out to eat whenever she doesn't want to cook and I remind her we're able to because i don't have to pay for internet or cable.

I use it the same way in my camper, the 12v TV has a fire stick that I can stream to as long as I have a signal.

It works most of the time than not.
    I don't remember the particulars on the original unlimited plan, but you may be able to add Verizon home internet. That's what we did, and adding it to the plan was only $40 month. It definitely works a lot better than hotspot from the phone. We used to have to do the hotspot deal also.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    We saw the variations in speeds that were reported in this thread... What killed it for me was my work could not get the VPN to stay connected. Yes- Starlink is fast, but the work VPN couldn't handle the switching from sat to sat (I suspect). I'm sticking with our 4G LTE at approx speeds 20d/10u until the fiber rollout is done for our area. If fiber wasn't in process, we would've had to stick with Starlink.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    We saw the variations in speeds that were reported in this thread... What killed it for me was my work could not get the VPN to stay connected. Yes- Starlink is fast, but the work VPN couldn't handle the switching from sat to sat (I suspect). I'm sticking with our 4G LTE at approx speeds 20d/10u until the fiber rollout is done for our area. If fiber wasn't in process, we would've had to stick with Starlink.
    What happened to me was the fiber got to me before my starlink system did(I was on the waiting list for both).
    My fiber is fantastic and cheaper than starlink,so I will not look back now.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    How much a month are we talking for internet only on these services?
    I believe they upped the price to 150 a month for unlimited data when it was originally sold as 30 from what I remember and when I preordered it was at 100 a month. I canceled after a year of waiting when T-Mobile 5G hotspot came to my area. 50$ a month for unlimited hotspot.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    I’m just into a week with it, and I don’t even know what latency is. It’s so much faster than what I had. Roughly 100 vs roughly 1.5.
    Latency is ping. It really doesn’t matter if all you do is stream. It’s very important for gaming if you do that though. It’s basically how fast your input reaches the other person/server. High latency/ping makes it so your input reaches the server slower so a fast paced game it’s a large disadvantage because the enemy can see and react faster if they have better ping.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Latency is ping. It really doesn’t matter if all you do is stream. It’s very important for gaming if you do that though. It’s basically how fast your input reaches the other person/server. High latency/ping makes it so your input reaches the server slower so a fast paced game it’s a large disadvantage because the enemy can see and react faster if they have better ping.
    As, yes, I remember now, thank you.
    That’s the only reason my kids would ever die in a game, supposedly.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The REMC got fiber out to our house going on 2 years ago now. Man, seeing these prices, I feel blessed. After years of dial-up and then satellite internet, (and no cell phone hot spot availability) I feel sorry for you guys that still don’t have much other choice.

Top Bottom