• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We switched to YouTubeTV a few months ago. It is a streaming service that also provides locals for about $65 a month. I also work from home and we have only used 600 GB over the past month on our Starlink. While I am disappointed in the 1 TB cap, from what I understand the speed after reaching the cap will basically be what RV users are getting now which I am hearing is still good for us with no other options.
    89-144mbps with RV right now...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Cancelled my Starlink service this morning. I've had equipment issues for months now, namely a bad connection between the cable coming from the dish and the power box. I contacted them (which was not made easy by a long stretch) and they immediately replied that they were sending new kit out. I thought that was pretty great since I'd paid for the original equipment and they weren't charging me for the replacement. Over a month later and the "expected ship date" has been quietly changed twice now when they've failed to ship within the previous timeline. Sent them another message (after having to research how to do that) and got an automated response. I'm done.

Ordered Verizon 5g home internet and the cube or whatever they call it should be here tomorrow. If it works as well as using my phone for a hotspot has been for the past several months then I'll be much better off from both a service and financial perspective. Disappointing but I'm not one to tolerate garbage service, particularly when periodic rate increases become the norm and I'm getting less for more.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Cancelled my Starlink service this morning. I've had equipment issues for months now, namely a bad connection between the cable coming from the dish and the power box. I contacted them (which was not made easy by a long stretch) and they immediately replied that they were sending new kit out. I thought that was pretty great since I'd paid for the original equipment and they weren't charging me for the replacement. Over a month later and the "expected ship date" has been quietly changed twice now when they've failed to ship within the previous timeline. Sent them another message (after having to research how to do that) and got an automated response. I'm done.

Ordered Verizon 5g home internet and the cube or whatever they call it should be here tomorrow. If it works as well as using my phone for a hotspot has been for the past several months then I'll be much better off from both a service and financial perspective. Disappointing but I'm not one to tolerate garbage service, particularly when periodic rate increases become the norm and I'm getting less for more.
    We have had Verizon for a few years now. Lately we've been having an issue where it just drops out altogether. Sometimes it comes back in a few minutes, sometimes you have to unplug everything and the plug it back in. Overall it's been better than any of the other choices we have and cheaper, they are not really helpful with figuring out any issues though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We have had Verizon for a few years now. Lately we've been having an issue where it just drops out altogether. Sometimes it comes back in a few minutes, sometimes you have to unplug everything and the plug it back in. Overall it's been better than any of the other choices we have and cheaper, they are not really helpful with figuring out any issues though.
    I did some research before ordering and that seems to be a pretty common experience. Unfortunately that'll still be better than how my Starlink has been working. I've been with Verizon for over 20 years now and have rarely been disappointed by their customer service so hopefully they won't let me down this time.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County

They lost me when they changed the terms (dates, price & monthly cost) on an order (& deposit) I had with them for over a year. Kind of told me what I could expect from them in the future.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

If you have cell signal - you should never have bought Starlink. It is designed for those who cannot have any other option!

At my rural property, Verizon nor T-Mobile home internet would work as I had no cell signal. Well, if you stood on one spot near my lake, you could barely get a signal.

So, it was ViaSat, HughesNet or Starlink. I absolutely loved it! I ran 200' of conduit, made a custom long starlink cable and it was flawless for 8 months. Tech support is a PITA if you need it though, with messaging them as the only option.

I just had fiber installed and sold Starlink to my FIL for his farm. So far, so good for him.... but again - he had no other option there but satellite internet...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If you have cell signal - you should never have bought Starlink. It is designed for those who cannot have any other option!
    If that were true it wouldn't have been offered here. They haven't launched 42,000 satellites to only serve the most rural of areas. At the time I bought in they were far and away superior to any other viable options I had. I'd utilized a Verizon MiFi for several years at work and wasn't super impressed with it nor the data caps in place back then.

I had a good run with Starlink. It was awesome in the beginning but I believe they've way oversold their bandwidth and it hadn't been the same in a long time. Still better than Viasat, Hughesnet or what I'd been using up to that point. Unfortunate but $35/mo for 3 years with Verizon 5g home sounds a whole lot better than $110/mo for the moderate at best service I'd been experiencing for months. We'll see how Verizon works out.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

At my rural property, Verizon nor T-Mobile home internet would work as I had no cell signal. Well, if you stood on one spot near my lake, you could barely get a signal.

So, it was ViaSat, HughesNet or Starlink. I absolutely loved it! I ran 200' of conduit, made a custom long starlink cable and it was flawless for 8 months. Tech support is a PITA if you need it though, with messaging them as the only option.

I just had fiber installed and sold Starlink to my FIL for his farm. So far, so good for him.... but again - he had no other option there but satellite internet...
    We have had Verizon for a long time. We also had to wait over a year for Verizon to make the home internet available in our area. So just because you have signal does not always mean something is available to you.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Sorry to hear about the issues. I have heard a few stories about equipment failures and bad customer service.

So far, so good for me....(knocks on wood).

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

I canceled my starlink before it ever arrived. Months of waiting for the already paid for equipment(4+) and in that time Fiberoptic became an available option. As you can guess I now have fiber. I will give them credit on my refund,it was done in less than a week.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We have had Verizon for a long time. We also had to wait over a year for Verizon to make the home internet available in our area. So just because you have signal does not always mean something is available to you.
    Tmobile wasn't offered at my rural address, so I signed up for it at my city address and moved it.

It could barely grab a signal, but it worked... just got fast or reliable.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    If that were true it wouldn't have been offered here. They haven't launched 42,000 satellites to only serve the most rural of areas. At the time I bought in they were far and away superior to any other viable options I had. I'd utilized a Verizon MiFi for several years at work and wasn't super impressed with it nor the data caps in place back then.

I had a good run with Starlink. It was awesome in the beginning but I believe they've way oversold their bandwidth and it hadn't been the same in a long time. Still better than Viasat, Hughesnet or what I'd been using up to that point. Unfortunate but $35/mo for 3 years with Verizon 5g home sounds a whole lot better than $110/mo for the moderate at best service I'd been experiencing for months. We'll see how Verizon works out.

Technically, it's not really "offered" east of the Mississippi, I cheated and grabbed the RV service. And what 42,000 satellites? That's the end goal. They barely have a fraction of that up now...

I'd keep on them for your replacement kit and then sell it to recoup some of your initial cost...

22b5638193ce2d26396e3af07b412c0f.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Technically, it's not really "offered" east of the Mississippi, I cheated and grabbed the RV service. And what 42,000 satellites? That's the end goal. They barely have a fraction of that up now...

I'd keep on them for your replacement kit and then sell it to recoup some of your initial cost...
    Apologies for the error in numbers, picked a bad or misworded source.

How isn't it offered east of the Mississippi? I didn't have to cheat, just signed up to be notified when it was available and bought the equipment when they told me I could.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana

Hopefully that works out better for you than my 5G T-Mobile hotspot is working for me. It was great for about a year. Fast and few instances of downtime. Recently, probably the last 2-3 months there have been times where the internet was down for hours at a time* and extremely slow like literally dialup speeds under 250 kbps some times under 50kbps (worthless on the modern internet where it’s trying to load high definition pictures, ads galore, etc)

I tried calling a couple days ago after getting fed up with the slow speeds, and they said they could detect an issue at their tower and they would repair it when the next team went out to their tower. They told me that could be tomorrow or in 30-60 days! Great customer service with that.

*the internet going down may not have been entirely on T-Mobile hotspot and phone internet though, my old AT&T lane line went down at the same time for the same length of time which makes me question if it wasn’t some sort of attack shutting down the internet.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Hopefully that works out better for you than my 5G T-Mobile hotspot is working for me. It was great for about a year. Fast and few instances of downtime. Recently, probably the last 2-3 months there have been times where the internet was down for hours at a time* and extremely slow like literally dialup speeds under 250 kbps some times under 50kbps (worthless on the modern internet where it’s trying to load high definition pictures, ads galore, etc)
    I'm obviously hoping for better but that's about what I've been experiencing here for months so if Verizon delivers the same I'll at least be saving $65/mo.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    A couple users at work are using Starlink and they put up with vpn dropping issues because they have no other options for internet. We returned ours. I didn't care for the vpn dropping multiple times during the day. YMMV.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...Ordered Verizon 5g home internet and the cube or whatever they call it should be here tomorrow. If it works as well as using my phone for a hotspot has been for the past several months then I'll be much better off from both a service and financial perspective. Disappointing but I'm not one to tolerate garbage service, particularly when periodic rate increases become the norm and I'm getting less for more.

Depending on how heavy and often you use your phone as a hotspot, keep an eye on it. If you find it's running hot and or have to regularly charge the phone while using much data, it can tax a battery quite heavily. When batteries run hot they swell. That is often the beginning of the end of the phone, pressing circuit board components into places they shouldn't be.

If you use the hotspot much, it might be worth considering a separate device?

Top Bottom