Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    :n00b:

Got the email last week.
    It won’t effect me, I have no idea what a TB looks like but I don’t think I’ll use one.

I’ll wait for the “when they came for our terabytes I said nothing” arguments…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...It won’t effect me, I have no idea what a TB looks like but I don’t think I’ll use one...

Understood. Just a warning to be cognisant of the issue though.

I went through an ordeal a few years back with Comcast. I don't use near that amount of data either, but somehow the reporting got fowled up and I went over the limits, using up all of my grace months. I wasted countless hours talking to techs on the phone, to no avail. "The numbers say you used..." :rolleyes: No fixing no solving, no believing me, even though the records showed my monthly usage well below the limits for years and years.

I was checking my data usage daily. The data clock was spinning 2-3 times what actual use was. I was actually pulling the modem plug during down times to barely stay under the 1.2 TB cap. :n00b: Eventually, Xfinity solved whatever the reporting problem was for many of us that were in this ordeal. The problem started when the parent cable company had some sort of internal software/firmware "upgrade."

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Got the email last week.
    It won’t effect me, I have no idea what a TB looks like but I don’t think I’ll use one.

I’ll wait for the “when they came for our terabytes I said nothing” arguments…
    I'm in the same boat. I would prefer super-fast and no caps anywhere near me, but this is still the best deal for my location.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I'm so jealous. I signed up 11 months ago, but still see "Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later."

And all I have is crappy POTS DSL, which is barely useable. And no fiber will ever run to this area.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I'm so jealous. I signed up 11 months ago, but still see "Starlink is currently at capacity in your area, so your order may not be fulfilled until 2023 or later."

And all I have is crappy POTS DSL, which is barely useable. And no fiber will ever run to this area.
    Know the feeling, we waited a year and a half. Worth it but miserable getting there.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    1 TB is a pretty generous data cap, especially for a satellite based system. A few cable based systems have similar caps although most are unlimited.

1TB seems like a lot unless you Stream Movies

My use is limited mostly to evenings / weekends - But I Streamed over 600 gb in the last month - YouTube / Netflix / Hallmark movies

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I don't. I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I have an antenna.
    What antenna? I thought that was all streaming?

Fun fact, I’ve watched about 15 minutes of dish network (my wife won’t get rid of it) since before planting season. It’s been all Netflix, prime, and hulu. Not that I watch a lot, I take spells, but sure don’t miss the ads.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What antenna? I thought that was all streaming?

Fun fact, I’ve watched about 15 minutes of dish network (my wife won’t get rid of it) since before planting season. It’s been all Netflix, prime, and hulu. Not that I watch a lot, I take spells, but sure don’t miss the ads.
    I think he meant he streams Netflix and Prime via starlink, but gets regular tv via antenna.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

Buy the RV version.

I bought a rural place recently and HughesNet was 0.5mbps download speeds. I kicked it to the curb within the 30 day trial period and switched to Starlink RV.

We stream everything and have no speed issues.... but should have fiber by the end of the year.

If you're interested, I'll likely have my RV system up for sale soon.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

Starlink for rv is what you seek...

https://www.starlink.com/rv

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    We switched to YouTubeTV a few months ago. It is a streaming service that also provides locals for about $65 a month. I also work from home and we have only used 600 GB over the past month on our Starlink. While I am disappointed in the 1 TB cap, from what I understand the speed after reaching the cap will basically be what RV users are getting now which I am hearing is still good for us with no other options.

Top Bottom