• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well I just ordered the steel needed to make my pop (not soda) can mortar. I changed my plans a little bit but not much.

As it is right now the parts list for the barrel is:
    (1) 3.75" OD x 2.375" ID x 7"long seamless tubing
    (1) 2.75"dia x 2.5"long round stock
    (1) 1.25"dia x 6.5"long round stock
    (3) 5/16 x 18 capscrews
    possibly (1) 5/16 x18 hex head haven't decided on that one yet
    (lots) of pop cans full of concrete
    (lots) of giggling

I will post updates as they come along. I hope to also show the building of the bed but that will come later.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was just telling dad that I was looking forward to getting started and was excited and what not but that may wear off after the 4th or 5th one lol

I am drawing up the plans for a 3.5" mortar to shoot powder cans full of concrete:): but that will have to wait until I get a bigger lathe or I can use someones lathe ( trying to work that one out). The pop can mortar will be my biggest bore gun at 2.667". But now that I look at it a can measures 2.615 and .052 of windage sounds a little big:dunno: I will have to get with the guy that gave me the dimensions and double check that one.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Good news is you can also load it with silver bullets.

SilverBullet.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im not sure if they have changed the sizes but I just measured some of the old john wayne cans my parents kept from way back and they measure 2.483".

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a bag of old coke cans saved up and one already filled with some mortar mix and it is pretty heavy. I cant wait to get started either me or dad is going to fire up the forge and hammer out some handles for the side of the bed for when I start it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im putting money back to buy new machines and if i get a bigger lathe I want to make one to shoot old powder cans I probably have 30 empty pyrodex and universal cans in the garage. I also want to build a confederate 12lber when i get a bigger lathe

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I'm trying to work one out I have to find someone I can trust not to shoot me while Im down lol A few of my friends are too eager to do it its kinda scary. Im trying to talk my old criminal justice instructor into spraying me for a class demo. right now all they have is the vid on youtube.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'm trying to work one out I have to find someone I can trust not to shoot me while Im down lol A few of my friends are too eager to do it its kinda scary. Im trying to talk my old criminal justice instructor into spraying me for a class demo. right now all they have is the vid on youtube.

You are a braver man then I. I would not volunteer. But I have wanted to spray someone :-D hehe. I'd go easy. Just sayin, if you need help :)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well if I didn't mess up the order i would have got the seamless today but I did get the trunnion and breech plug today. I went ahead and faced them off and center drilled the breech plug.

facing the breech plug
    IMG_4567_zps8e85ab01.jpg

center drilling the breech plug
    IMG_4568_zpsdf6cce33.jpg

facing the trunnion
    IMG_4569_zps369c8532.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im hoping I get the seamless in the morning if not I'll have to wait until Thursday. I'm gettin way too excited to build this and get to my grandpas to shoot it. hopefully the weight of a can of concrete will be enough for pyrodex to build enough pressure by itself if not I'll have to use a .22 blank as a primer.

Top Bottom