• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    looks like I have to wait another day for whatever reason my steel has been sitting in the same post office building for 3 days:xmad:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    This reminds me of making tennis ball cannons out of steel grapefruit cans as a kid.

Same for me.
    We'd have a half dozen or more kids with ball mitts gathered around a tennis ball mortar of duct taped fruit cans. Plenty of pop-fly practice in one can of lighter fluid!

I never heard of this soda can method before. Sounds like fun. I'm enjoying the pictures of the build so far.:yesway:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Well since i was going nuts just sitting around I decided I would go out and freeze my butt off to start drilling the powder chamber. As it is now it is 13/16dia and 1" deep.

IMG_4571_zps2d1ae68e.jpg

IMG_4572_zps51d01f1d.jpg

IMG_4573_zps46ec38dd.jpg

IMG_4574_zps67fe534c.jpg

IMG_4575_zps27a0e287.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Looking great. I love to see a pile of swarf under a chuck. It means progress!! lol. I can't wait to see the final product! Feel up the good work!

Did you see the post about the cannon turret? I don't know why but I thought of you when I saw it :)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I just measured it and it holds about 120grains of sugar (didnt want to use powder) which should be more than enough if i use the .22 blank igniter. hopefully the seamless will get here in the morning, they keep on changing the date that it will get here. Who would have thought that a government run agency would be unreliable:dunno::):

I saw that thread and immediately started showin some friends to see if they could put one together if I made a barrel.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I sure hope your metal shows tomorrow! I had a bunch of brass show up today so the PO is working :-)

On a little different subject. We were talking about tool post a while back. I broke down and ordered my QCTP yesterday. A wedge style BXA. I am not to sure what I will have to do to fit it. Hopefully it won't be to bad.

Indy, how are you doing on your cannon?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Still waiting on the welder to get back into town and finish up his business so I can paint. my thread is as up to date as it can get for the moment.

30calmachinegunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Westfield
    I sure hope your metal shows tomorrow! I had a bunch of brass show up today so the PO is working :-)

On a little different subject. We were talking about tool post a while back. I broke down and ordered my QCTP yesterday. A wedge style BXA. I am not to sure what I will have to do to fit it. Hopefully it won't be to bad.

Indy, how are you doing on your cannon?
    Most likely you'll have to machine the T nut to fit your compound, other then that you'll owner why you didn't do it sooner( most likely if you bought a set you'll need to get a cutoff blade to fit it)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yep unless you have one of those weird lathes where it just has the threaded stud sticking out of the compound you should just have to mill it to the shape of the T slot

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If it does have that stupid stud instead of a T slot you can just turn a new one with the proper threads for the qctp nut. When I was in school we had a guy come in and ask if I could make him one, he had taken his old tool post and tool post hardware and scrapped it so he couldn't make it himself:laugh:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I drilled the powder chamber to 1"dia x 1" deep today and it holds about 175-180 grains once again that was sugar. hopefully the PO will keep its word and I'll get my metal before the weather takes a nose dive.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    ugh the barrel is on hold until I get a new boring bar made, my little 1/2" bar was not enough.

Thank sucks. And I missed a package that needed signed. I have so much crap on order that i am not sure what it is. I did not make it to the PO in time. I will have to wait till Monday :-(

Did you break the bar or is it just not long enough?

Top Bottom