• 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    psyko hahaha That would be cool.

Yea! My new tool post showed up! It's like Christmas in January! I am trying to decide if i want to freeze my nads off and fit it today! The T nut might just fit my compound!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I would wait a few days.... negative degrees makes for really cold metal parts..... you will pay a fortune heating the space up just enough for you not to be cold but your hands will freeze. single digits is my cutoff for working in my garage w/out heating it for a LOOONG time first.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I agree Id wait a few days i went out to the garage yesterday to get my micrometer and laid my hand on the lathe and it stuck. I am thinking about putting on an 80s coast guard flight suit given to me by a friend stationed in alaska and going out and cutting my vent liner to length and de burring some holes i should be able to do that fast enough to avoid frostbite or any other bad stuff.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a rather large 220 heater I fired up. It works great but it cost a ton to run! But i want to tinker so I am gunna suck it up and pay the bucks! I brought the compound in the house where it's warm. The shop is warming up for later.

I was able to mount the tool post fairly easy. I used a mix of hardware from both. The T-nut was obviously set up for several tool post. The main post on the old tool post was small but the bottom threads stepped to larger threads. And the larger threads matched the QCTP post. I was able to used the old T-nut with the new post. Sweet! I have a issue that the handle is over the work piece. I need to figure out how to rotate it 180 degree's.

I can tell you already that I am going to love this thing! Have either of you played with the Aloris style post? Know how to rotate the handle? The way it is made the handle follows the holder not the T-nut. I can't just rotate that. I am sure it comes apart and you can turn it. I just need to figure it out. There is a nut under the handle that uses a spanner wench. I need to grind the inside of my wrench so it can fit around the post. I believe that I can take that off and rotate the top. I am going to research it unless you guys know?

Sorry to high jack your thread Ethan :-( :hijack: But I am having fun ;) and trying to stay warm!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree Id wait a few days i went out to the garage yesterday to get my micrometer and laid my hand on the lathe and it stuck. I am thinking about putting on an 80s coast guard flight suit given to me by a friend stationed in alaska and going out and cutting my vent liner to length and de burring some holes i should be able to do that fast enough to avoid frostbite or any other bad stuff.

I want to learn. What's the vent liner? And do you think we would be pushing our luck asking for a cannon forum? :lmfao:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The vent liner is a bolt that runs from the sleeve down into the breech block it reduces the chances of corrosion forming between the seamless and the plug. With this design it also keeps the plug from rotating inside the seamless.

heres the mortar broken down into its basic parts and yes the two cap screws are different i bought them in a package together and they were not the same:n00b: next time im buying from ace to prevent that. you can see the vent liner sitting to the left of the tubing on this one its just a hex bolt with an 1/8" hole drilled in it for the fuse.
    IMG_4624_zps01bddb72.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    As soon as i shorten the liner it will be ready to shoot and i can get the back end rounded off after that. When ever the county roads are clear enough for us to make it out to my grandpas house i will shoot it.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I remembered a teacher gave me a big chunk of aluminum round stock so I turned a center plug and rounded off the breech end a bit. you cant really tell in the pic but I think it looks quite a bit better. Hopefully we will head over to my grandpas or the F.O.P. and try it out tomorrow.
    IMG_4628_zpsa0ff7615.jpg

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I plan on having someone record it. hopefully the weight of a can of concrete will be enough compression to help the pyrodex get a good burn.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That and maybe slow it down enough to be recorded! lol. Be safe(I know you will) and have fun!(I know you will!)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    well didn't get to go to shoot it today maybe tomorrow. I was supposed to start another today but the post office keeps changing the date of when i'll get the steel :xmad:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Bummer :-( Oh well. Next week isn't that far away. All i got done was turning my lathe in to a pile of parts. I am working on mounting my DRO stuff. It is a lot of work! I kind of figured it was going to be and someone warned me it was going to be a pain in the a... :whistle: But it will be worth it!

I'll send you a few picks if you want to see after I get some progress.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Got to go to the FOP today and walked through about a foot of water to shoot my mortar. The first shot was less than a chamber full and horizontal since I didn't know how far it would shoot and I didn't want to shoot over the hill. I was using pyrodex and the longest shot was over 75yd I talked to another guy that built the same gun and with real black powder he was getting over 200yds with a full chamber. Next time I go to big r I'll pick up some nail gun blanks and try them out.
    [video=youtube;5hVrPmwZwDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hVrPmwZwDU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Top Bottom