Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We'll have to see.
    My schedule is murder. But I'm starting to get Sundays off starting next week. I should have Sundays off for 6 weeks.

I'm not sure of my schedule. I know I'm going to California at some point in September, not sure when.

But I leave next weekend for a motorcycle trip up the coast of Lake Michigan to Mackinaw, then into the UP and west along the southern coast of Lake Superior, up and around that lake ... at that point I'm not sure where we will go? Possibly following the coastline of the lakes to Niagra Falls? Or maybe continuing up the St Lawrence Seaway? Or maybe just heading back south along the western coast of Lake Michigan? Being old sucks, but being retired is pretty awesome. Maybe gone for 10 days, maybe for 40 days.

I just know I have to be back in time to get on a plane to head west toward San Francisco sometime in September.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Old location of my spare

mulZ7nq.jpg

New Location
    6cVoHuT.jpg

LVgsYlF.jpg

The hitchgate opens so I can open the hatch
    vtLi5af.jpg

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I'm not sure of my schedule. I know I'm going to California at some point in September, not sure when.

But I leave next weekend for a motorcycle trip up the coast of Lake Michigan to Mackinaw, then into the UP and west along the southern coast of Lake Superior, up and around that lake ... at that point I'm not sure where we will go? Possibly following the coastline of the lakes to Niagra Falls? Or maybe continuing up the St Lawrence Seaway? Or maybe just heading back south along the western coast of Lake Michigan? Being old sucks, but being retired is pretty awesome. Maybe gone for 10 days, maybe for 40 days.

I just know I have to be back in time to get on a plane to head west toward San Francisco sometime in September.

I've done the circle tour 2 times now with the car club. We have found some really good gems and off the beaten path trails. Sometimes we switch the route to avoid toll ways and highways. If you're interested in some good places to eat or scenics roads let me know

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The spare tire is NO LONGER on the front of the Ford Escape. :)

Now it is on a HitchGate, on the rear hitch.
    The license plate is mounted to the hitch, since it was blocked by the tire.

I just need to put a new trailer 4 pin connector on the Escape, previous one melted. No cover.
    I'll tap off that wiring for the license plate lighting.

This was SUPPOSED TO BE a one day chore.
    NOPE.
    Several days. Spread across a week or two. I can't remember.

The hardest part... the old tire holder in the front hitch.
    It was held on with a locking pin. One that tightened up, to keep it from wobbling.
    Well, it was RUSTED SOLID.
    Took a lot of cutting with a grinder.
    Hammering and chiseling.
    And a bit of cursing.
    But I got the bracket out.

:woot:
    Just a bit of cursing? :lmfao:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Wait so you drove around with the front spare on like that all the time? Or just during trips?
    I've never seen that cover (the location was the same), but I suspect the warranty the brick deflector/spare was up.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes, the tires been on the front for awhile.
    Because I had the 1.25 inch hitch, there wasn't much available except tow bars.

So I finally got the bigger hitch. Same tow limits though, I'm limited by the Ford.
    Then I got the hitchgate.
    Sat in the garage a couple years.

So I finally put the hitchgate on the back. Mounted a license plate bracket on it.
    Today I moved the tire.
    Had to cut off the old pin holding the front tire holder.

Only thing left is to replace the trailer electrical connector, and wire in two wires through a plug to power the license light.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I still have a spare underneath.
    But, it's a donut.
    And, those chains to lower them can seize up. Hard to get the tire.
    This one makes it easier.
    Plus, if someone steals it, I'll know right away.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Just bought a little something and having it sent over to Sheepdog for the transfer. Has anyone here used them before for a transfer? Looks like it might be $20?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Just bought a little something and having it sent over to Sheepdog for the transfer. Has anyone here used them before for a transfer? Looks like it might be $20?

I won a Marlin 98 a few hrs ago. Lucikly I have my C&R. My guy in Laporte does them for 20.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom