• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    well we will have to agree to disagree. I dont have a problem with LEOs who follow the law, but as far as law enforcement as an entity (a business) I do have some issues with the way they operate illegally some times. In my opinion the best thing law enforcement officers could do right now is to start becoming more individual instead of circling the wagons and secretive when bad things are exposed. this immediate call of "anti LEO" from LEO's towards people that state their concerns with an entity that derives its power and budget from those same people its downplaying scares me a bit.
    Also it doesnt surprise me in your answer wanting only schooled cops leading cops. its more circle the wagons talk in my opinion. heavens forbid an "outsider" come in and flip things upside down and ruin the racket right? theres fat and coruption in EVERY organization, political and non-political, coorporate or Law Enforcement, all im saying is that maybe some fresh eyes can come in and spot some concerns the people they represent want fixed. obviously it takes everyone working together to do this both LEO and non-LEO. All I do know is that when the time comes for a knock on the door collecting guns, it wont be from the girl scouts. it will be from the cops first. and I would rather have as many cops as possible on the side of the People (the constitution), than not, so that they can refuse the unconstitutional order EVEN IF IT IS LEGAL according to some judge or sheriff that pays their wages!!!! Or in a perfect world where everyone honors their oath to the constitution the sheriff themselves would tell the feds to go suck eggs. (some have already). see the feds keep throwing all this big money to these police departments to militarize them (bigger SWAT teams that deploy at the first call of a dog bite, etc) and so they are buying them off basically. when the feds call up and want a favor the brass of these departments ask how high they want them to jump instead of asking is that legal or right! We need more police on the street that recognize and refuse to obey unconstitutional orders from the top! also we need more intelligent people in power who say .... hmmmm, kids inside the house? maybe we shouldnt send in our paramilitary SWAT team in to arrest the guy for a joint. the size and scope of many police departments have swelled to an alarming rate in this country. its unnaturaly fueled by federal dollars. I want to see smaller government. that means fewer cops too. so how as a taxpayer and a constitutionalist am I going to convince a member of the cop establishment to fire cops and cut the fat? I need a fresh face. A regular guy to come in and do what needs to be done!

Im a member of the Oath Keepers which has many members of Law Enforcement in it also. I will take a bullet for a good LEO who obeys the constitution as the ultimate law just the same as I would for my family.

Those who are LEO's you (and who I would want) would want to lead or head a dept would not be given the chance because of the lack of policitcal connections and/or their belief in doing what is best for the people and the constitution.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Those who are LEO's you (and who I would want) would want to lead or head a dept would not be given the chance because of the lack of policitcal connections and/or their belief in doing what is best for the people and the constitution.

Dude, that's the exact problem we have with politicians now....

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Will someone please tell me why I shouldn't be ashamed for being a veteran.

All politics aside, all the Hooah stuff aside, I (By the Grace of GOD) took a squad over, and brought a squad back.....all alive.

If for no other reason that is what I am glad for, and I would do it again even now knowing I would be disabled again as I am now.

I lost a civilian career, a military career, walk funny, wear leg braces, have migraines from a TBI, have fused neck, back is screwed for all practical purposes, and general memory loss of blocks of years going back to childhood. But I would do it again if it meant that even one of my soldiers wouldn't have come back. (Again by the Grace of God, not cause I am some sort of leader or something)

So if your a vet, then regardless of how misguided you feel now, your character is solid for taking the oath, walking the post, and doing what you said you would do. Don't let the screwed up politics of the situation make you feel like any less of a patriot. You have proven your core values are pure regardless of the motivations of those elected.

From one Vet to another, and not in a passing manner like "have a nice day" Thank you for your service brother.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I agree. It makes me uncomfortable that a posting on a website that doesn't have a quote from the Sheriff is being taken as fact.

For all the merit in your statement, where are the rebuttal articles and retractions they rush to print in their effort to avoid libel suits?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    All politics aside, all the Hooah stuff aside, I (By the Grace of GOD) took a squad over, and brought a squad back.....all alive.

If for no other reason that is what I am glad for, and I would do it again even now knowing I would be disabled again as I am now.

I lost a civilian career, a military career, walk funny, wear leg braces, have migraines from a TBI, have fused neck, back is screwed for all practical purposes, and general memory loss of blocks of years going back to childhood. But I would do it again if it meant that even one of my soldiers wouldn't have come back. (Again by the Grace of God, not cause I am some sort of leader or something)

So if your a vet, then regardless of how misguided you feel now, your character is solid for taking the oath, walking the post, and doing what you said you would do. Don't let the screwed up politics of the situation make you feel like any less of a patriot. You have proven your core values are pure regardless of the motivations of those elected.

From one Vet to another, and not in a passing manner like "have a nice day" Thank you for your service brother.

Hearing a brief bit of your story, I cannot find words that would adequately illustrate how much I appreciate your service and sacrifice. I can never thank you enough, nor can I rep you enough. You may be 18 or 80, but know I respect you in a way that I only reserve for the finest of people.

(doesnt even come close to what I wish I could do, but rep'd)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For all the merit in your statement, where are the rebuttal articles and retractions they rush to print in their effort to avoid libel suits?

So you need a rebuttal before you decide it's not fact? Shouldn't you need supporting evidence before deciding it's true?

C'mon 88, I'm not saying he didnt say those things, but jeez the article, which is the only source material for the other links popping up 'round the net, fails to name the source who heard this statement, and further, there's not even a time/date, or location where this statement was made.

And why would another Sheriff speak "under anonymity" in saying that he believed the ruling was bad? I think the ruling is bad, and if asked face to face I'll tell anyone that.

There are way too many things that don't add up about this. Libel can be easily avoided, as the person reporting/printing this story will obviously not be the person who heard the statement in contention. And of course, I bet the source spoke under "anonymity," as well.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Hearing a brief bit of your story, I cannot find words that would adequately illustrate how much I appreciate your service and sacrifice. I can never thank you enough, nor can I rep you enough. You may be 18 or 80, but know I respect you in a way that I only reserve for the finest of people.

(doesnt even come close to what I wish I could do, but rep'd)

I appreciate the kind words. Briefly and not looking for kudos, I am 48 served all my life in a Military or Police uniform. (Living off you taxpayers, living the high life:rolleyes:)

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Will someone please tell me why I shouldn't be ashamed for being a veteran.
    CVMA544 said it best, but let me chime in for a minute. We have our freedoms, including the privilege to disagree, because Americans have been answering the bugle since before we were even a nation. Because of the citizen soldier, the Founders were able to establish three independent branches of government. There's already a movement among law makers to rectify this court decision. You served your part in preserving this balanced form of government. It isn't perfect, but it can and does work. Thank you for your service brother.

And while I'm on my soap box, law enforcement isn't the easiest way to make a living either. It's certainly not as much fun as it used to be. I'm not sure where Sheriff Hartman is coming from, but let's not paint all LEOs with the same brush. I'm of the opinion this recent court decision doesn't make it safer for anyone and may even subject officers to greater danger and/or liability.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

Is anyone but me curious to see the only source of this is in a news site that admits it parodies things? I haven't followed this thread, but has anyone actually verified that this person is indeed the sheriff of that county?

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I appreciate the kind words. Briefly and not looking for kudos, I am 48 served all my life in a Military or Police uniform. (Living off you taxpayers, living the high life:rolleyes:)

I have no problems paying for those that were willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice. I do have problems paying for an elected official that makes 6 figures and props his fat a$$ behind a desk and kisses babies.
    Maybe we should make the position much like a priest. Low pay and a free house to live in. Might only attract people that want to serve. I would be more than happy to have the sheriff over for a monthly meal so I could get a chance to voice my concerns about the community. Oh wait, that would be to unrealistic.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So you need a rebuttal before you decide it's not fact? Shouldn't you need supporting evidence before deciding it's true?

C'mon 88, I'm not saying he didnt say those things, but jeez the article, which is the only source material for the other links popping up 'round the net, fails to name the source who heard this statement, and further, there's not even a time/date, or location where this statement was made.

And why would another Sheriff speak "under anonymity" in saying that he believed the ruling was bad? I think the ruling is bad, and if asked face to face I'll tell anyone that.

There are way too many things that don't add up about this. Libel can be easily avoided, as the person reporting/printing this story will obviously not be the person who heard the statement in contention. And of course, I bet the source spoke under "anonymity," as well.

Crikey. I'm about ready to put you on the ignore list. A civil, rational conversation with you is just about impossible, you know that?

You're right. A lot of things don't make sense. On of which is this sheriff's silence in the face of such alarming accusations. At the very least his job is at stake. It is in his best interest to play the game and issue a statement to the contrary. My questioning his lack of response is in no way an indication of my opinion of his guilt.

I tend to take things at face value and judge their validity according to the evidence that supports it or opposes it. For this one, there isn't much either way. Nothing to support it, but nothing to suggest it's wrong either.

Why is it that you condemn for extending your same level of scrutiny to the entire picture? :dunno:

As to your other question: I can speculate why a thin blue line member would want to remain anonymous when throwing a colleague under the bus. Surely you can too.

CVMA544

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 26, 2010
    SW Indiana
    I have no problems paying for those that were willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice. I do have problems paying for an elected official that makes 6 figures and props his fat a$$ behind a desk and kisses babies.
    Maybe we should make the position much like a priest. Low pay and a free house to live in. Might only attract people that want to serve. I would be more than happy to have the sheriff over for a monthly meal so I could get a chance to voice my concerns about the community. Oh wait, that would be to unrealistic.

I agree, and elected officials shouldn't get a pension for those positions. They tend to think they are only ones who can do that job, and low and behold what would we do with out them?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Crikey. I'm about ready to put you on the ignore list. A civil, rational conversation with you is just about impossible, you know that?

You're right. A lot of things don't make sense. On of which is this sheriff's silence in the face of such alarming accusations. At the very least his job is at stake. It is in his best interest to play the game and issue a statement to the contrary. My questioning his lack of response is in no way an indication of my opinion of his guilt.

I tend to take things at face value and judge their validity according to the evidence that supports it or opposes it. For this one, there isn't much either way. Nothing to support it, but nothing to suggest it's wrong either.

Why is it that you condemn for extending your same level of scrutiny to the entire picture? :dunno:

As to your other question: I can speculate why a thin blue line member would want to remain anonymous when throwing a colleague under the bus. Surely you can too.

When have I ever been un-civil to you? Seriously, don't pull that card. You can debate my logic and rationality, but certainly not my courtesy, when extended from others.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I honestly think after a couple people ( either civilians or police) are shot or injured, public outrage would solve the whole problem.
    The sad part is that we cannot address the ineptitude of the judges.
    I never condone violence, but might be willing to ignore any acts committed against the judges. " I didn't see anything. There was a lot of glare."

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    We actually agree on more points than you might realize...I had an on-air conversation with G' Gordon Liddy a number of years ago, and he asked me what I would do if ordered to confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens. I replied that my oath of office was to uphold the Constitution first and foremost, while obeying the orders of superiors was secondary. That document will be the core of our nation long after my bosses and I are dust, so I respect it as such. Education isn't an evil thing, especially if it allows me to understand things better than I did before. My additional training and education has been predominantly at my own expense and outside the sphere of my agency, so the content is untainted by agency policies and practices. I actually find significant differences between my educational experiences and the way my department operates, and am regarded as somewhat of a maverick by command. I don't "circle the wagons" like you suspect, and have filed allegations of misconduct against officers that I thought failed to do the job you pay them to do. I openly advocate the termination of officers who have betrayed the public trust, and wouldn't hesitate to charge them criminally if they "brought their dirt into my house," so to speak. There are some of us who don't need to join something in order to remember what we stand for, or who we work for, and I just might be one of them. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm just not a joiner, since there really aren't too many organizations that I agree with 100%.

I take my hat off to you Sarge470. It would be great if all LEO took their jobs as seriously and with as much respect as you. Keep up the good work and keep in mind that your efforts do make a difference. :)

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I wonder if someone will get to him and try to talk some sense into him before the lawsuits start. It would be the smart move before this gets out of hand.

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    What this guy is promoting is absolutely wrong. It is a gross violation of the 4th amendment. Sure, they might catch some bad guys, but that is not the main reason why they are pushing for the ability to search without warrants. That policy is being pushed because they know it will be necessary to have it to maintain as much control as possible in the future when the REAL unconstitutional laws/behavior begins happening and the population begins to resist. Does this Sheriff know that? I doubt it. But this is what totalitarian governments have been doing for ages and that's the origin of the motives for developing such policy.

Allison_Bricker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Hello thank you for linking to my article on SmArgus.com

As it relates to the legal ramifications of this Indiana Supreme Court ruling, my analysis was validated by several law enforcement sources and a Constitutional attorney. Supreme Court Justice David in writing the MAJORITY opinion did so in a manner that went outside the matters presented in BARNES v. STATE of INDIANA.

When he wrote "MODERN" legalese for (post-PATRIOT-Act) jurisprudence that Hoosiers may not resist UNLAWFUL entry, with the stroke of a pen he decreed the ability for law enforcement to conduct random house to house searches.

In order to appreciate the full gravity of the ruling, we must understand exactly what UNLAWFUL ENTRY means in the legal sense.Telephone any police chief and ask what does UNLAWFUL ENTRY MEAN; you will get an answer that states an UNLAWFUL ENTRY is any search of PRIVATE PROPERTY without PROBABLE CAUSE or WARRANT.

Therefore if neither PROBABLE CAUSE nor a WARRANT must be issued, it is left to the arbitrary whims of the department or officer on the scene.

Further as it relates to the inferences that this story is phony, all I can offer is that I have been publishing for 3 years, in that time never once have any of my articles ever received a LIBEL DEMAND RETRACTION LETTER from the facts presented therein.

Furthermore, Mike Church who retained my services as a Contributing Editor & Publisher, would not risk Libel litigation (nor his contract with Sirius/XM) by allowing libelous news reports to be published anywhere on his site which directly tied to the Sirius/XM show. (The article was originally drafted for MikeChurch.com where it also currently resides.)

Thus, you have my word as the author that the following is all true:

a.) I telephoned the Newton County Sheriff's Department on May 16th, 2011 and asked his secretary to speak with Sheriff Hartman since he as Sheriff is the highest-constitutionally-elected law enforcement officer in the state.

b.) Sheriff Hartman was asked if UNLAWFUL entry by law enforcement means entry without PROBABLE CAUSE or WARRANT. He indicated that is the definition of UNLAWFUL ENTRY.

c.) I then asked the Sheriff if he was familiar with the BARNES v. STATE of INDIANA ruling by the Indiana Supreme Court, to which he replied "yes."

c.) When asked what would then stop police from conducting random searches, he indicated to me that he would "follow the law as decided by the Indiana Supreme Court."

d.) I then asked again if this meant he felt he could conduct random searches without Probable Cause or warrant to which he replied, "if the Supreme Court has said Hoosiers cannot resist, I follow the law. If that means we can conduct random searches then we will if needed"

e.) Sheriff Hartman was then asked about whether he felt his oath to the Indiana State Constitution Section 11. was superior to the Indiana Supreme Court ruling to which he responded in a annoyed fashion, "Ma'am, I have already told you twice, if the supreme court says Hoosier cannot resist, then that is the law."

f.) I then asked if he saw any benefit to conducting Random Searches, to which he replied, "the people would be happy to have random searches if it means the capture of a criminal."

I thanked him for his time we hung up the telephone and utterly astounded at what he told me, immediately began to draft the article.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    yep. just the response i would expect from certain law enforcement leaders. If the court says it then we have to do it. **** the constitution.

theres your answer people if you ever asked if there will be some who will march to ANY order against the people.

Top Bottom