• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The link is not convincing. Is there a better source?

+1 anyone have a better source?

There isn't a single quote, in the article, attributed to the Sheriff indicating he stated that. If he said it, I'd like to see exactly what he said before putting on my tinfoil hat. That's fair isn't it? :dunno:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you google it there are dozens of sites but they all appear to be cut and pastes from Mike Church.
    [ame=http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c82_1305613553]LiveLeak.com - IN Sheriff: If We Need to Conduct RANDOM HOUSE to HOUSE Searches We Will[/ame]

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Guys, just keep in mind that the office of Sheriff in Indiana is an elected position, and not necessarily professional. There have been numerous people elected to the Sheriff's seat without the benefit of even the Basic Officer Course at ILEA, let alone any advanced or specialized knowledge. I knew a guy who sold cars and farmed before he was elected, and another who owned a fast food joint. I still see quite a few campaign flyers for candidates who have no additional training or education since their graduation from the Academy 10 or 20 years ago, and we're still electing them because we know their families, or they go to the same barber shop. It's time to expect more from the people who want our votes.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    id rather elect a regular guy to be sheriff than a career cop that's been part of the brass or system so long he has forgot what its like to be a "normal" person. because often the top cops are just politicians themselves and shady.

seeing the lack of knowledge some cops come out of the academy with, i dont have much faith in it anyways.

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Dang, Ranger...I understand your frustration with the system, but it's pretty obvious from reading a lot of your posts that you're somewhat hostile to law enforcement officers in general. I personally studied my tail off in the Academy, finished first in my class of statewide recruits and have continued to study case law, ethics and leadership theory in the last 20+ years. There are a lot of people in my agency who have worked even harder, possessing advanced degrees in law, psychology, criminal justice and even biochemistry. If I'm going to have someone in charge of a public entity with tremendous power and the exposure to civil liability that goes along with it, I'd sure like to know that the person calling the shots is a real professional, who knows what he's doing, while still understanding that he/she works for everyone, not just the people who raised money for his/her campaign. Regular guys are fine, but when a member of my family needs medical attention, I want a trained professional taking care of them, who has a documented history of education and meets standards imposed by a reputable governing body. When SHTF in your neighborhood, the guy that used to own a Dairy Queen might not be the right person to have in charge. I can understand your frustration to a certain extent, but may in fact disagree with your conclusions based on my exposure to the profession and its complexities.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Dang, Ranger...I understand your frustration with the system, but it's pretty obvious from reading a lot of your posts that you're somewhat hostile to law enforcement officers in general. I personally studied my tail off in the Academy, finished first in my class of statewide recruits and have continued to study case law, ethics and leadership theory in the last 20+ years. There are a lot of people in my agency who have worked even harder, possessing advanced degrees in law, psychology, criminal justice and even biochemistry. If I'm going to have someone in charge of a public entity with tremendous power and the exposure to civil liability that goes along with it, I'd sure like to know that the person calling the shots is a real professional, who knows what he's doing, while still understanding that he/she works for everyone, not just the people who raised money for his/her campaign. Regular guys are fine, but when a member of my family needs medical attention, I want a trained professional taking care of them, who has a documented history of education and meets standards imposed by a reputable governing body. When SHTF in your neighborhood, the guy that used to own a Dairy Queen might not be the right person to have in charge. I can understand your frustration to a certain extent, but may in fact disagree with your conclusions based on my exposure to the profession and its complexities.

Key words bolded, wouldn't that be nice? :+1:

I don't know, ranger maybe on to something here. I think a lot of good people go blinded by the politics of the job. A fresh clean prespective to keep the professionals in line sounds even better.
    SHTF in my meighborhood? I will be the one in charge. ;)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

well we will have to agree to disagree. I dont have a problem with LEOs who follow the law, but as far as law enforcement as an entity (a business) I do have some issues with the way they operate illegally some times. In my opinion the best thing law enforcement officers could do right now is to start becoming more individual instead of circling the wagons and secretive when bad things are exposed. this immediate call of "anti LEO" from LEO's towards people that state their concerns with an entity that derives its power and budget from those same people its downplaying scares me a bit.
    Also it doesnt surprise me in your answer wanting only schooled cops leading cops. its more circle the wagons talk in my opinion. heavens forbid an "outsider" come in and flip things upside down and ruin the racket right? theres fat and coruption in EVERY organization, political and non-political, coorporate or Law Enforcement, all im saying is that maybe some fresh eyes can come in and spot some concerns the people they represent want fixed. obviously it takes everyone working together to do this both LEO and non-LEO. All I do know is that when the time comes for a knock on the door collecting guns, it wont be from the girl scouts. it will be from the cops first. and I would rather have as many cops as possible on the side of the People (the constitution), than not, so that they can refuse the unconstitutional order EVEN IF IT IS LEGAL according to some judge or sheriff that pays their wages!!!! Or in a perfect world where everyone honors their oath to the constitution the sheriff themselves would tell the feds to go suck eggs. (some have already). see the feds keep throwing all this big money to these police departments to militarize them (bigger SWAT teams that deploy at the first call of a dog bite, etc) and so they are buying them off basically. when the feds call up and want a favor the brass of these departments ask how high they want them to jump instead of asking is that legal or right! We need more police on the street that recognize and refuse to obey unconstitutional orders from the top! also we need more intelligent people in power who say .... hmmmm, kids inside the house? maybe we shouldnt send in our paramilitary SWAT team in to arrest the guy for a joint. the size and scope of many police departments have swelled to an alarming rate in this country. its unnaturaly fueled by federal dollars. I want to see smaller government. that means fewer cops too. so how as a taxpayer and a constitutionalist am I going to convince a member of the cop establishment to fire cops and cut the fat? I need a fresh face. A regular guy to come in and do what needs to be done!

Im a member of the Oath Keepers which has many members of Law Enforcement in it also. I will take a bullet for a good LEO who obeys the constitution as the ultimate law just the same as I would for my family.

Last edited:

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We actually agree on more points than you might realize...I had an on-air conversation with G' Gordon Liddy a number of years ago, and he asked me what I would do if ordered to confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens. I replied that my oath of office was to uphold the Constitution first and foremost, while obeying the orders of superiors was secondary. That document will be the core of our nation long after my bosses and I are dust, so I respect it as such. Education isn't an evil thing, especially if it allows me to understand things better than I did before. My additional training and education has been predominantly at my own expense and outside the sphere of my agency, so the content is untainted by agency policies and practices. I actually find significant differences between my educational experiences and the way my department operates, and am regarded as somewhat of a maverick by command. I don't "circle the wagons" like you suspect, and have filed allegations of misconduct against officers that I thought failed to do the job you pay them to do. I openly advocate the termination of officers who have betrayed the public trust, and wouldn't hesitate to charge them criminally if they "brought their dirt into my house," so to speak. There are some of us who don't need to join something in order to remember what we stand for, or who we work for, and I just might be one of them. Not that it's a bad thing, but I'm just not a joiner, since there really aren't too many organizations that I agree with 100%.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Damnit. Tonight will be one of those "run out on the porch loaded for bear and see no one else outside with me" nights.... I'm ready for a reset. I guess we just have to be ready to resist when/if that time comes and until that day hope that the USSC will overturn some of these things.

Top Bottom