New question 10 on 4473. Indy/Marion county residents....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like the binary answer too. Asks about drug use and mental disorders, but non binary is acceptable.
    Yeah. I have a mildly unpopular opinion. I'm ok with Trans folks. You feel that your brain doesnt match your body. OK. You do you. But there is DEFINITELY something wrong with someone who claims they are neither. Pick a team. You cant be both or neither.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    That’s a carmel zip code.
    It is not a Carmel zip code. I present the facts, confirmed by another member in a different location and you guys act like you cannot believe it. This is in Carmel city limits with an Indianapolis address.

“ZIP Code 46280 is located in the state of Indiana in the Indianapolis metro area. ZIP code 46280 is primarily located in Hamilton County.”

Official Zip Code NameIndianapolis

defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    It is not a Carmel zip code. I present the facts, confirmed by another member in a different location and you guys act like you cannot believe it. This is in Carmel city limits with an Indianapolis address.

“ZIP Code 46280 is located in the state of Indiana in the Indianapolis metro area. ZIP code 46280 is primarily located in Hamilton County.”

As I said earlier your address is the city you actually live in, not the one you might share a zip code with. The address you posted earlier would accurately given as Carmel, IN 46280, not Indianapolis.

The fact that some businesses list Indianapolis is basically the opposite of the example I gave, where they are in a separate incorporated city but rather than hating the larger city nearby they *prefer* to identify with it, even if it's technically an incorrect address.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I see the confusion. my first DDG search returned " 46280- Carmel, IN." That is where I stopped.

Digging deeper it crosses county lines and it returns both cities for the same zip.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I can't imagine what difference this question would make. They need to know what police agency to call if I'm denied? BS. If I'm denied and didn't lie on the form, did I break a law? If a person is denied purchase of a new firearm (assuming they're not a felon) does that mean they are no longer allowed to be in possession of any firearm? I just cannot see how this question benefits anyone; not the seller, not the buyer, not law enforcement. A sheriff can always be the default enforcement agency contacted. Also, Lawrence, Beech Grove and Speedway are inside Indy/Marion county. But they're not all cities, some are towns.
    Possible scenario, you (generic you) go in and purchase a firearm and get delayed. 3 days pass and the store tells you to come pick it up. There hasn't been an approval or denial come in but they are allowed to transfer it to you since the 3 days is up, you pick it up. Day 4 or 5 the call comes in that it's denied...

"Indianapolis metro area" See the last two words, that doesn't mean just Indianapolis. And as has been pointed out just because the company lists their address as Indy doesn't mean that is what their actual address is. I could say my address is the next town over, doesn't mean it actually is. What does their lease say? And has been also pointed out other businesses in that same building use Carmel.
    Remember this thread where "metro area" is discussed?

I'd also guess they are using the USPS preferred or recommended city, not their actual city. There can be a difference. For that zip code Indianapolis is the "recommended" city, Carmel and Nora are also acceptable. From the map of that zip code, it doesn't seem to cover any of Indy proper.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Possible scenario, you (generic you) go in and purchase a firearm and get delayed. 3 days pass and the store tells you to come pick it up. There hasn't been an approval or denial come in but they are allowed to transfer it to you since the 3 days is up, you pick it up. Day 4 or 5 the call comes in that it's denied...
    But what influence does my response to "Live within city limits Y/N/Unknown" have on your described scenario? I guess I'm not able to connect the dots. They already asked what city, state, county/parish, so how does this question affect response to your delayed denial example? The answer may be obvious but I'm just not getting it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And to be fair, I could write a lettter and send it to "BFE, IN 46241" and it would still make it to that post office. They go off the number, not the word.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But what influence does my response to "Live within city limits Y/N/Unknown" have on your described scenario? I guess I'm not able to connect the dots. They already asked what city, state, county/parish, so how does this question affect response to your delayed denial example? The answer may be obvious but I'm just not getting it.
    It was mentioned upthread. They want you to tell them which police dept to call if they need to alert relevant LEO without having to look up the details on a map. If you live in the city, they call city PD, if not they call county Sheriff.

It should read "If you called 911 to summon LEO to your home, would it be police or Sheriff that shows up? "

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It was mentioned upthread. They want you to tell them which police dept to call if they need to alert relevant LEO without having to look up the details on a map. If you live in the city, they call city PD, if not they call county Sheriff.

It should read "If you called 911 to summon LEO to your home, would it be police or Sheriff that shows up? "
    Got any proof of this? I have seen none so far, just speculation…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Indianapolis metro area" See the last two words, that doesn't mean just Indianapolis. And as has been pointed out just because the company lists their address as Indy doesn't mean that is what their actual address is. I could say my address is the next town over, doesn't mean it actually is. What does their lease say? And has been also pointed out other businesses in that same building use Carmel.
    Remember this thread where "metro area" is discussed?
    That was not the topic. The discussion centered on physically living in one city and your address is another city. Metro is an appropriate descriptor in this case to describe the location that is not Indy but addressed Indy. I proved that beyond a doubt occurs. Not sure what relevance this has to that topic…

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Got any proof of this? I have seen none so far, just speculation…
    One of the talking heads was told it was to streamline the ability to contact relevant LEO with just the 4473. For whatever reason they need. (good or bad)

Feel free to believe whatever you want. :dunno:

Top Bottom