New question 10 on 4473. Indy/Marion county residents....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    How in the hell are we going to interpret what "City Limits" are with Marion county being Unigov.

I bought a couple guns recently, and I saw this..

"
    Question 10 Current State of Residence and Address:

• Question 10: Added “Reside in City Limits? []Yes [] No []Unknown”."

Do these dimwits not realize that this is now a stupidly confusing question because of Marion County/Indianapolis and Unigov?

At least they gave us an out. UNKNOWN, That is what I have been putting.. Because I just don't know. Do they mean the now defunct old Indianapolis City limits (that yeah GOOD luck trying to remember where those end/start).. or do they mean the Marion County Line? Okay I realize a county line isn't city limits normally, but with UNIGOV.. is it now technically the city limits of the local government body I live under. That case it WOULD be the Marion County line. I mean the county line now has all the "Welcome to Indianapolis" signs now..

I am so confused.. I feel like this could catch someone out.

Damn dimwit bureaucrats.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How in the hell are we going to interpret what "City Limits" are with Marion county being Unigov.

I bought a couple guns recently, and I saw this..

"
    Question 10 Current State of Residence and Address:

• Question 10: Added “Reside in City Limits? []Yes [] No []Unknown”."

Do these dimwits not realize that this is now a stupidly confusing question because of Marion County/Indianapolis and Unigov?

At least they gave us an out. UNKNOWN, That is what I have been putting.. Because I just don't know. Do they mean the now defunct old Indianapolis City limits (that yeah GOOD luck trying to remember where those end/start).. or do they mean the Marion County Line? Okay I realize a county line isn't city limits normally, but with UNIGOV.. is it now technically the city limits of the local government body I live under. That case it WOULD be the Marion County line. I mean the county line now has all the "Welcome to Indianapolis" signs now..

I am so confused.. I feel like this could catch someone out.

Damn dimwit bureaucrats.
    How new is this? I don't remember seeing this on my last 4473. Correct answers include: NUNNYA DAMN BIDNESS!! and LOOK IT UP YOUR DAMN-SELF, LOSER!!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indy is a no brainer. If county=Marion the answer is YES.

The only time city limits are referenced these days refers to the ability to discharge a firearm lawfully in Marion County. If you are outside of the OLD city limits (pre unigov, good luck finding that map) you may discharge a firearm. Other than that, if you are in Marion County, you are within the city limits.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    It's meant to be intentionally confusing. People making a simple mistake can be accused of falsifying a federal document. They can use it in the future for many purposes, none of them good.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My understanding is that in the event they need to involve LEO, They want a shortcut to know who to call.

So you you have a Lebanon address for instance. So do they need to call Lebanon PD, or Boone County Sheriff if it comes to that.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    It's meant to be intentionally confusing. People making a simple mistake can be accused of falsifying a federal document. They can use it in the future for many purposes, none of them good.
    I don't reside in "city" limits. Avon is a town. And I thought we dodged a bullet (pun intended) when Chipman's nomination got pulled.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I don't reside in "city" limits. Avon is a town. And I thought we dodged a bullet (pun intended) when Chipman's nomination got pulled.
    To many of us here (especially ones who obtained a LTCH) this is an easy answer. I still remember when people would ask me how to get a LTCH and when I told them where they needed to apply was dependent on if they lived in a city or not the look on their face said a lot. Many people don't have a clue.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Indy is a no brainer. If county=Marion the answer is YES.

The only time city limits are referenced these days refers to the ability to discharge a firearm lawfully in Marion County. If you are outside of the OLD city limits (pre unigov, good luck finding that map) you may discharge a firearm. Other than that, if you are in Marion County, you are within the city limits.
    An easy way to know, did you have a mayor candidate when you vote? Yes=city limits. The hard part is if you live in a town, most have non discharge ordinances but some may not…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “Section B, line 10 asks for the purchaser’s address. A new question has been added, reading: “Reside in City Limits?” This may reflect the fact that, while many cities have their own firearms laws, some people’s address says they live in that city when they actually reside outside the marked limits.”

The problem with this whole line of thinking is, your address has nothing to do with what city one actually lives in. So much of the speculation seems ridiculous to me.

123 Main St. xxxxxx IN, 44321 means that the street address of the property is 123 Main St. and the 44321 post office delivers mail. That is all that can be ascertained. Some who actually live in one city have the adjoining city addresses as that is the location of the post office that delivers mail to that area. Post office zip codes and city designations are not aligned with actual legal boundaries.

A few years ago congress passed a law allowing some communities to use their actual city name while putting the zip code of the post office that delivers their mail even though that post office used a different city name.

I suspect that Indy post offices and zip codes cross the county/Indy line around much of the city…

jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    We can thank Congress for this. The Safer Communities Act requires the feds to inform local law enforcement when a person is denied on an NICS check. The new question on the form is to provide the feds an easier method to determine which agency to inform. Just another of the thousands of ways bureaucracy is annoying.

Top Bottom