New question 10 on 4473. Indy/Marion county residents....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • defaultdotxbe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2020
    Griffith
    That was not the topic. The discussion centered on physically living in one city and your address is another city. Metro is an appropriate descriptor in this case to describe the location that is not Indy but addressed Indy. I proved that beyond a doubt occurs. Not sure what relevance this has to that topic…
    As far as I'm concerned all you proven is that some people live in one city and give their address incorrectly as being in another city. It is no different than Cameramonkey's "BFE, IN 46241" hypothetical.

Although going all the way back to my original comment on the subject, that is still a much less common example than someone living in an unincorporated area outside of city limits while (properly) sharing the city name and zip code.

That said, this horse is beginning to smell so I'm going to stop beating it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That was not the topic. The discussion centered on physically living in one city and your address is another city. Metro is an appropriate descriptor in this case to describe the location that is not Indy but addressed Indy. I proved that beyond a doubt occurs. Not sure what relevance this has to that topic…
    You left off the bottom paragraph. And the metro area relevance was from your post which showed that zip and Indianapolis metro area, with Indianapolis in a different color quoted below.
    It is not a Carmel zip code. I present the facts, confirmed by another member in a different location and you guys act like you cannot believe it. This is in Carmel city limits with an Indianapolis address.

“ZIP Code 46280 is located in the state of Indiana in the Indianapolis metro area. ZIP code 46280 is primarily located in Hamilton County.”

Official Zip Code NameIndianapolis

That is the recommended postal designation, it is not their official address. Their official address is in Carmel. From the USPS website.

RECOMMENDED CITY NAME

INDIANAPOLIS IN

OTHER CITY NAMES RECOGNIZED FOR ADDRESSES IN THIS ZIP CODE™

CARMEL IN

NORA IN
    If you look at the boundaries for that zip code you will notice that it doesn't cover any of Indianapolis proper. And is only Hamilton county, if it was in more than one county it would list a secondary like mine does. Is any part of Indianapolis proper in Hamilton county?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You left off the bottom paragraph. And the metro area relevance was from your post which showed that zip and Indianapolis metro area, with Indianapolis in a different color quoted below.

That is the recommended postal designation, it is not their official address. Their official address is in Carmel. From the USPS website.

If you look at the boundaries for that zip code you will notice that it doesn't cover any of Indianapolis proper. And is only Hamilton county, if it was in more than one county it would list a secondary like mine does. Is any part of Indianapolis proper in Hamilton county?
    1676071242698.png

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    And I said several times they changed the law and would allow them to use the other names about 15 years ago but the address was and is Indianapolis where the post office that delivers their mail is located.

Cities by ZIP Code™​

For more rapid delivery, please use the recommended or recognized city names whenever possible for this ZIP Code™.

You entered:​

RECOMMENDED CITY NAME
    INDIANAPOLIS IN
    OTHER CITY NAMES RECOGNIZED FOR ADDRESSES IN THIS ZIP CODE™
    CARMEL IN
    NORA IN

The recommended city name is Indianapolis, the others were added with the law change. The word “official” is not on the page.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As far as I'm concerned all you proven is that some people live in one city and give their address incorrectly as being in another city. It is no different than Cameramonkey's "BFE, IN 46241" hypothetical.

Although going all the way back to my original comment on the subject, that is still a much less common example than someone living in an unincorporated area outside of city limits while (properly) sharing the city name and zip code.

That said, this horse is beginning to smell so I'm going to stop beating it.
    Government does a lot of things “incorrectly“ but that does not mean it is not true. Before I posted you did not even believe it was true now you seem to have an opinion of how common it is. Talk about rotten horses.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    And I said several times they changed the law and would allow them to use the other names about 15 years ago but the address was and is Indianapolis where the post office that delivers their mail is located.
    Yes, where the main post office for that zip code is located. Not where they are located. What does the lease say? Who gets the property taxes, Indy or Carmel? Who is their local police chief, Barlow or Taylor? There are three cities/towns in my zip code, just because someone writes their mailing address as being in the one that the main post office for that zip code is in doesn't mean that is their address or they live in that town. Mailing address does not necessarily equal actual address.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, where the main post office for that zip code is located. Not where they are located. What does the lease say? Who gets the property taxes, Indy or Carmel? Who is their local police chief, Barlow or Taylor? There are three cities/towns in my zip code, just because someone writes their mailing address as being in the one that the main post office for that zip code is in doesn't mean that is their address or they live in that town. Mailing address does not necessarily equal actual address.
    This is true and the VERY point I made that started this whole rabbit trail, I questioned the reasoning that the reason for the question was to determine the law enforcement agency the applicant lived in because of this very situation, which was met with denials that it even happened.

The addesss 123 main street, Testville IN, 81234 tells us two things, the location in 123 main street and the Testville 81234 post office delivers the mail. It doesn’t designate where the taxes go, where kids go to school, what water comepany or other utilities, and of course police jurisdiction.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    This is true and the VERY point I made that started this whole rabbit trail, I questioned the reasoning that the reason for the question was to determine the law enforcement agency the applicant lived in because of this very situation, which was met with denials that it even happened.

The addesss 123 main street, Testville IN, 81234 tells us two things, the location in 123 main street and the Testville 81234 post office delivers the mail. It doesn’t designate where the taxes go, where kids go to school, what water comepany or other utilities, and of course police jurisdiction.
    Except if someone were filling out the 4473 they should put Carmel, not Indianapolis and Hamilton not Marion. Does the 4473 ask for the USPS recommended address or does it ask for your address? What does a Carmel resident's drivers licenses say?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Except if someone were filling out the 4473 they should put Carmel, not Indianapolis and Hamilton not Marion. Does the 4473 ask for the USPS recommended address or does it ask for your address? What does a Carmel resident's drivers licenses say?
    Their address is Indianapolis, PERIOD. The others are allowed but not official. Yes, Hamilton is their county.
    I have a long-time customer whose address is Carmel 46032, but they live north of 146th street in Westfield. Several years ago when I was looking to pull a permit for a bathroom remodel on their home, I had to go through Westfield.:facepalm:

I'm with @manifest destiny , I don't see how this benefits anyone.
    look up this zip code. It does not even offer the Westfield residents a choice, Carmel is it, though they live in Westfield.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Their address is Indianapolis, PERIOD. The others are allowed but not official. Yes, Hamilton is their county.

look up this zip code. It does not even offer the Westfield residents a choice, Carmel is it, though they live in Westfield.
    Once again, what does it say on their DL? One is a postal city zip code, the other is where they live. And it's not "official" it's "primary/preferred" by USPS the others are "acceptable" And you can also look up this zip code. Which is for Westfield proper, 46074.

Cities in ZIP code 46074​

The list below includes the cities that the US Post Office accepts for ZIP code 46074. The preferred city may not be the city in which the ZIP is located. The city for 46074 is usually the name of the main post office. When mailing your package or letter, always include the preferred or acceptable cities. Using any city in the list of unacceptable cities may result in delays.

Primary/preferred city: Westfield, IN Acceptable: Carmel

Here is a map that shows a couple of different zip codes in that area and their boundaries.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once again, what does it say on their DL? One is a postal city zip code, the other is where they live. And it's not "official" it's "primary/preferred" by USPS the others are "acceptable" And you can also look up this zip code. Which is for Westfield proper, 46074.

Cities in ZIP code 46074​

The list below includes the cities that the US Post Office accepts for ZIP code 46074. The preferred city may not be the city in which the ZIP is located. The city for 46074 is usually the name of the main post office. When mailing your package or letter, always include the preferred or acceptable cities. Using any city in the list of unacceptable cities may result in delays.

Primary/preferred city: Westfield, IN Acceptable: Carmel

Here is a map that shows a couple of different zip codes in that area and their boundaries.
    I was speaking of the 46032 and 46033. There was no Westield option for those that actually are situated in Westfield. What is your point to all this minutiae?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Just no. GIS data shows this is clearly Carmel. Not Indy. (even though they are allowed to put that on their mail)

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was speaking of the 46032 and 46033. There was no Westield option for those that actually are situated in Westfield. What is your point to all this minutiae?
    Once again, what's on their DL? And it looks like that zip code I listed covers pretty much all, if not all of Westfield.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Once again, what's on their DL? And it looks like that zip code I listed covers pretty much all, if not all of Westfield.
    The zip 46074 does not cover all of Westield. Parts are 46032 and 46033. What is on the DL is what the gave BMV when they got their DL…

What is the point? I have proven that you can live in one city and have an address in another city conclusively.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The zip 46074 does not cover all of Westield. Parts are 46032 and 46033. What is on the DL is what the gave BMV when they got their DL…

What is the point? I have proven that you can live in one city and have an address in another city conclusively.
    What you have proven is that you can live in one city and have a zip code for routing purposes in another city.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just no. GIS data shows this is clearly Carmel. Not Indy. (even though they are allowed to put that on their mail)

Municipal boundaries have NO bearing on your physical address. Wow! They are not “allowed“, it is their post office. What is the fascination that your post office address, the address that simply delivers the mail has ANY correlation with where one lives?

“First of all, ZIP codes do not generally correspond to city and town boundaries, so having a ZIP code associated with a city is no guarantee that an address is actually located in that city. Second of all, ZIP codes actually have multiple names associated with them. For every ZIP code, the post office defines one preferredname, which databases and mailing systems often automatically default to. They may also define multiple acceptable names, which can also be used for any address within the ZIP code.”

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Heck, this takes the cake, it might cross state lines. LOL

“Remember that ZIP codes were made to make mail delivery easier. They weren't made to correspond to existing boundaries such as cities, counties, or even states. If it is more efficient for a mail carrier to drive across a state line to deliver mail, the ZIP code "boundary" will cross the state lines.”

Boy does that screw up the whole premise that this question identifies the law enforcement agency where the address is.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Municipal boundaries have NO bearing on your physical address. Wow! They are not “allowed“, it is their post office. What is the fascination that your post office address, the address that simply delivers the mail has ANY correlation with where one lives?

“First of all, ZIP codes do not generally correspond to city and town boundaries, so having a ZIP code associated with a city is no guarantee that an address is actually located in that city. Second of all, ZIP codes actually have multiple names associated with them. For every ZIP code, the post office defines one preferredname, which databases and mailing systems often automatically default to. They may also define multiple acceptable names, which can also be used for any address within the ZIP code.”

So maybe we are talking past each other.

You said that address is in Indianapolis, did you not? Even though the GIS data says Its in Carmel? Im saying regardless of what anything else says, they are in Carmel and not Indianapolis.

Top Bottom