Multiple People Shot, Undetonated Devices Found in Brooklyn Subway: FDNY, Sources

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    How many people are "known to the FBI"? What percentage of those go on to actually hurt someone?

This sucks, but without proof of an imminent crime there is nothing the authorities can do. That is the way it should be.
    I don't know what the actual procedures of the FBI are, and maybe all the nonsense spewed by their higher-ups doesn't actually have anything to do with how they conduct their day-to-day business. But listening to what is said in public, one gets the impression that they spend way too much time pushing woke ideas and watching out for those scary, evil parents who oppose CRT in schools, or folks who just want to exercise their 2A rights without infringement. For instance, how many man-hours were put into trying to convince that bunch of ninnies in Michigan to go along with the scheme (completely orchestrated by the FBI, let's remember) to kidnap the governor? If they could instead narrow down their list of suspects to those who overtly display ideological motivations that we see so often espoused by those who do go on to commit mass shootings (and yes, there are genuine white supremacists who fit this bill, too, but they are very few, and far removed from the conservative values that the left wants to tell us constitute "white nationalism") then even if they can't outright arrest these people, I'd think the list would be drastically shortened to the point where they could at least keep a better eye on them.

I'm not saying that the above is what I would want in an ideal world, either. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have constant government surveillance of the citizenry, and the public would be armed and ready to defend themselves against this sort of attack. But the fact of the matter is that we do have constant government surveillance, and there are many places where citizens are not allowed to take steps to defend themselves. And the majority seem to be fine with that. So given that situation, I do sympathize with people who argue that it could be done much more effectively.

But ultimately the government can never prevent this sort of thing entirely. People need to learn to defend themselves, and until that day, we'll keep seeing this sort of thing happen.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "known to the fbi"
    So what does that ACTUALLY mean? We throw that phrase around and we purport to understand it, but I'm not sure that us true. "Known to them", so they have reports with him named in them? That is what that typically means. There are thousands, if not 10's of thousands of people "known" to the FBI. Just like people "known" to IMPD. You might even narrow the parameters to the mentally ill with anti-gov or racist ideations. That is hundreds just in this City. Imagine NYC or even nationwide. That doesn't mean they have done anything that warrants an arrest. So the FBI gets kicked in the balls here for overstepping its authority and now gets kicked in the balls for not preemptively preventing this crime.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So what does that ACTUALLY mean? We throw that phrase around and we purport to understand it, but I'm not sure that us true. "Known to them", so they have reports with him named in them? That is what that typically means. There are thousands, if not 10's of thousands of people "known" to the FBI. Just like people "known" to IMPD. You might even narrow the parameters to the mentally ill with anti-gov or racist ideations. That is hundreds just in this City. Imagine NYC or even nationwide. That doesn't mean they have done anything that warrants an arrest. So the FBI gets kicked in the balls here for overstepping its authority and now gets kicked in the balls for not preemptively preventing this crime.
    This where I was going with my questions.

In some cases at least, "known by the FBI" means they looked into the person. I believe in this case it said they did so in 2019.

I don't want people getting locked up for being assholes. They have a right to be assholes in this country. If they commit a crime, lock them up. IF you can catch wind that they are planning something, lock them up. It is always going to be almost impossible to catch someone acting alone before they act though.
    But ultimately the government can never prevent this sort of thing entirely. People need to learn to defend themselves, and until that day, we'll keep seeing this sort of thing happen.
    This is mostly spot on. I only disagree with the last part. It will not end until there are no more people.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I don't know what the actual procedures of the FBI are, and maybe all the nonsense spewed by their higher-ups doesn't actually have anything to do with how they conduct their day-to-day business. But listening to what is said in public, one gets the impression that they spend way too much time pushing woke ideas and watching out for those scary, evil parents who oppose CRT in schools, or folks who just want to exercise their 2A rights without infringement. For instance, how many man-hours were put into trying to convince that bunch of ninnies in Michigan to go along with the scheme (completely orchestrated by the FBI, let's remember) to kidnap the governor? If they could instead narrow down their list of suspects to those who overtly display ideological motivations that we see so often espoused by those who do go on to commit mass shootings (and yes, there are genuine white supremacists who fit this bill, too, but they are very few, and far removed from the conservative values that the left wants to tell us constitute "white nationalism") then even if they can't outright arrest these people, I'd think the list would be drastically shortened to the point where they could at least keep a better eye on them.

I'm not saying that the above is what I would want in an ideal world, either. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have constant government surveillance of the citizenry, and the public would be armed and ready to defend themselves against this sort of attack. But the fact of the matter is that we do have constant government surveillance, and there are many places where citizens are not allowed to take steps to defend themselves. And the majority seem to be fine with that. So given that situation, I do sympathize with people who argue that it could be done much more effectively.

You are referring to different field offices here. While they do have a central command structure, their field offices run point on most of their investigations. So what one field office chooses to investigate or how they run that investigation isn't going to necessarily be the same as another field office.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    The FBI should get kicked in the jimmies for thinking they're still "THE" FBI.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Well, "known to the FBI" gets you this -> https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...ver-2018-parkland-school-shooting-2022-03-16/

Sometimes.

"Parents of Parkland victims alleged in a 2018 lawsuit that FBI tip line employees acted negligently in their handling of tips regarding Cruz's stated desire to carry out a school shooting and his growing collection of assault-style rifles and ammunition." When the Federal government hands them nearly $130M of our tax dollars, you can bet the FBI knew they would lose the case, probably with a higher payout and devastating testimony and discovery.

There is your run of mill level of Federal bureaucrat indifference and incompetence, and then there is ^^^^ willful negligence of duty. Keep in mind the FBI was in good company as the Sheriffs Department and school administration were just as complicit in allowing the sick ****** to not be incarcerated instead of on the loose.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    So, just so I am clear on what is coming out.

The cameras weren't working?
    Again? Really? I am going to quit worrying about the 1984 surveillance because it seems to never work.

He had 'extended' magazines...
    Isn't it easier to just say 17 round, 33 round, whatever they really are.
    It still fits their narrative.
    But, it's a reflex with these people to hide the facts.

He conveniently left his CAR KEYS at the scene?
    How dumb is this guy? And how did he get away?
    The van was found pretty far away.
    Did he have another set of keys?

They recovered a Glock 17 and IT WAS JAMMED?
    I am not a Glock fan boy, but, it jammed?
    I have shot a lot of Glocks and jamming isn't one of their failings.
    I would be more inclined to believe it if they said it blew up. (hehehe)

What is happening here?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    According to reports, the shooter got off 33 rounds, emptied one big stick, and apparently then came the "jam."

Anytime any gun is reloaded, there is risk of doing something out of ordinary to create a "jam."

So many variables could create the stoppage from not getting a mag seated to forgetting to rack the slide at all, to self or outside disruption of slide manipulation.

Even the venerable reliable Glock is subject to such malfunction.

We take forgranted that others understand things like tap/rack/bang. While you or I could quickly fix a malfunction, this guy likely wasn't a practiced shooter.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    How many people are "known to the FBI"? What percentage of those go on to actually hurt someone?

This sucks, but without proof of an imminent crime there is nothing the authorities can do. That is the way it should be.
    FBI is like Tom from Myspace.

They know everyone.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Crap ammo will jam anything, including a glock. Got any Idea how hard it is to get good guns and ammo in NY?

I worked at a range that rented glocks and sold good ammo to go with them. And yes, some people managed to have malfunctions.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They recovered a Glock 17 and IT WAS JAMMED?
    I am not a Glock fan boy, but, it jammed?
    I have shot a lot of Glocks and jamming isn't one of their failings.
    I would be more inclined to believe it if they said it blew up. (hehehe)
    Yeah, this had me wondering if he knew the difference between 9mm and .380

Got the gun with a little ammo in it but effed up trying to top off the magazine

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I watched a few of his webcast videos. The man was angry, racist, and had some pretty extreme and illogical conclusions about reality. It was not like he kept a low profile to keep off the fbi radar.

Top Bottom