Multiple People Shot, Undetonated Devices Found in Brooklyn Subway: FDNY, Sources

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Am I the only one who’s wondering how they figured out in 24 hours, where a gun was purchased 11 years ago?

Pawnshop went out of business, ATF got their records and digitized them.

Alternative, already in the FBI files when they previously looked into him

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Even though the NICS laws prohibit keeping records, There appears to be no mechanism to be sure the FBI destroys the records from every firearm called in.
    @Big Red is looking more and more like the guy who is right. Something about the central State.

If we are to have any pretense of not being serfs, something needs to change, radically.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Even though the NICS laws prohibit keeping records, There appears to be no mechanism to be sure the FBI destroys the records from every firearm called in.

Probably not traced through NICS

Reminder from earlier this year

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Called tip on himself and then went for a stroll…

I think I know who will play him in the Netflix special…

i58bv-R123E1WSFEZ-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1584435831969._SX1080_.jpg

Comedian/actor Lavell Crawford from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Probably not traced through NICS

Reminder from earlier this year

You are probably right, but that information has my name in it, and probably your name. I don't trust that it will only be used to enforce our Constitutional rights against enemies foreign and domestic.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

The New York solicitor general argued -- before the Supreme Court -- that the idea of civilians with guns in New York City's subway system is terrifying...besides, there are police there who can handle any problems.
    How's that argument working out now?

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    Not to mention the ATF receives all the 4473’s from any gun store that closes down from the last 20-30 years (they keep extending how long they have to be held) we all know once they get those records they aren’t destroyed. There is literally no chance of there not being a registry of some sort. Only way around it at this point is private sales which the are always working to end that “loophole” and building your own, and the ATF/Biden’s little move a couple days ago tells you their intentions on that.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Called tip on himself and then went for a stroll…

I think I know who will play him in the Netflix special…

i58bv-R123E1WSFEZ-Full-Image_GalleryBackground-en-US-1584435831969._SX1080_.jpg

Comedian/actor Lavell Crawford from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul
    Nothing like leaving your credit card at the scene of the crime

Getting some passports from the hijacker vibes here.

I mean I guess it’s possible that he dropped it but how many times do you just drop a credit card out of your pocket?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "We don't have a registry" -the government

"We're banning ghost guns because they're hard to track" -the government
    Two totally different issues. When we try to track the origin of a firearm, we have to start with the manufacturer, who it was shipped to. Then who they sold it to, etc. If the dealer is out of business, then the ATF will hand search the paper records stored in shipping containers. There is no registry, or if there is, not one the the ATF agents we work with can access. "Ghost guns", well, they cannot be tracked the same way.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not to mention the ATF receives all the 4473’s from any gun store that closes down from the last 20-30 years (they keep extending how long they have to be held) we all know once they get those records they aren’t destroyed. There is literally no chance of there not being a registry of some sort. Only way around it at this point is private sales which the are always working to end that “loophole” and building your own, and the ATF/Biden’s little move a couple days ago tells you their intentions on that.
    Sure, there is certainly a chance there is no registry. You cannot say there is NO chance. I have not seen them, but trusted friends have, the many shipping containers packed full of paper records from out of business dealers. They do not have enough employees to search the records to track guns used in crimes. Entering the paper info into a searchable database would take a massive amount of personnel, which they do not have. Digitizing a paper record is not the same as extracting the info from a 4473 and entering it into a searchable database.

Last edited:

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Sure, there is certainly a chance there is no registry. You cannot say there is NO chance. I have not seen them, but trusted friends have, the many shipping containers packed full of paper records from out of business dealers. They do not have enough employees to search the records to track guns used in crimes. Entering the paper info into a searchable database would take a massive amount of personnel, which they do not have. Digitizing a paper record is not the same as extracting the info from a 4473 and entering it into a searchable database.

Not so, from the article I posted above...

They've already digitized 94% of OBR (out of business records.)

Digitizing a paper record is actually easier and usually more accurate than entering the info by hand. OCR for documents is a very stable technology, and it's only gotten faster, more accurate and cheaper. There's an entire industry around it. My son works for one such company.

“In total, ATF manages 920,664,765 OBR as of November 2021. This includes digital and an estimated number of hard copy records that are awaiting image conversion. It is currently estimated that 865,787,086 of those records are in digitalized format,” Assistant Director of Public and Government Affairs Daniel L. Board, Jr. said in a letter to Congress.

Later he makes this claim, which doesn't make much sense.

Board claimed in his response that the ATF’s “Out of Business Records Imaging System” does not “capture and store certain key information, such as firearms purchaser information, in an automated file.” But Board also tries to justify the system by pointing out that the records are used by law enforcement to trace “crime guns.” It’s unclear how those traces are useful if purchaser information is not captured.

Having 35 years experience in computer systems, I would imagine the database being setup to do the following.

A) scan the document, front and back
    B) store the scanned image
    C) perform OCR on it, and capture at least the serial number of the firearm sold.
    D) there is than an index of serial numbers

Agent looks up serial number in database, and then can pull the information that was on the form.

Sure, that's all well and good, goes as far as it can and stay within the law.

Not said, you can take that digitized document, and rescan it to pull out every piece of information any time you want.

Last edited:

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Has AOC found a microphone and camera yet?

This event has to impact peoples choices to use public transportation. Next thing you know they will all want to drive gas powered cars and start killing unicorns with their carbon emissions.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't know what the actual procedures of the FBI are, and maybe all the nonsense spewed by their higher-ups doesn't actually have anything to do with how they conduct their day-to-day business. But listening to what is said in public, one gets the impression that they spend way too much time pushing woke ideas and watching out for those scary, evil parents who oppose CRT in schools, or folks who just want to exercise their 2A rights without infringement. For instance, how many man-hours were put into trying to convince that bunch of ninnies in Michigan to go along with the scheme (completely orchestrated by the FBI, let's remember) to kidnap the governor? If they could instead narrow down their list of suspects to those who overtly display ideological motivations that we see so often espoused by those who do go on to commit mass shootings (and yes, there are genuine white supremacists who fit this bill, too, but they are very few, and far removed from the conservative values that the left wants to tell us constitute "white nationalism") then even if they can't outright arrest these people, I'd think the list would be drastically shortened to the point where they could at least keep a better eye on them.

I'm not saying that the above is what I would want in an ideal world, either. In an ideal world, we wouldn't have constant government surveillance of the citizenry, and the public would be armed and ready to defend themselves against this sort of attack. But the fact of the matter is that we do have constant government surveillance, and there are many places where citizens are not allowed to take steps to defend themselves. And the majority seem to be fine with that. So given that situation, I do sympathize with people who argue that it could be done much more effectively.

But ultimately the government can never prevent this sort of thing entirely. People need to learn to defend themselves, and until that day, we'll keep seeing this sort of thing happen.

The fbi has demonstrated itself to be a bastion of corruption.

The fbi can GTH.

It needs to be abolished.

Top Bottom