Multiple People Shot, Undetonated Devices Found in Brooklyn Subway: FDNY, Sources

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Sure, there is certainly a chance there is no registry. You cannot say there is NO chance. I have not seen them, but trusted friends have, the many shipping containers packed full of paper records from out of business dealers. They do not have enough employees to search the records to track guns used in crimes. Entering the paper info into a searchable database would take a massive amount of personnel, which they do not have. Digitizing a paper record is not the same as extracting the info from a 4473 and entering it into a searchable database.
    Serious question.

How often is a firearms trace meaningfully useful in either solving a crime or obtaining a conviction?

I just don't see the utility, other than as a goal to enable something which should never exist, in a society with an expectation the citizenry can resist tyranny.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    Serious question.

How often is a firearms trace meaningfully useful in either solving a crime or obtaining a conviction?

I just don't see the utility, other than as a goal to enable something which should never exist, in a society with an expectation the citizenry can resist tyranny.
    I have the same kind of question. The only other scenario I could think of would be that the gun was a straw purchase or otherwise stolen and transferred from one improper person to another improper person. In which case there's the possibility another person could also be charged for crimes. Still, tracing is so after the fact that the utility of it seems to lack worth.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Two totally different issues. When we try to track the origin of a firearm, we have to start with the manufacturer, who it was shipped to. Then who they sold it to, etc. If the dealer is out of business, then the ATF will hand search the paper records stored in shipping containers. There is no registry, or if there is, not one the the ATF agents we work with can access. "Ghost guns", well, they cannot be tracked the same way.

So it's registered but we just don't call it a registry.

Word games are obnoxious. Especially when it's functionally the same situation.

Government contracted agents can find out who owns a gun, and what that gun is. And they lose their mind over the prospect of losing that ability with the popularity of personal firearms manufacturing.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So it's registered but we just don't call it a registry.

Word games are obnoxious. Especially when it's functionally the same situation.

Government contracted agents can find out who owns a gun, and what that gun is. And they lose their mind over the prospect of losing that ability with the popularity of personal firearms manufacturing.
    They can find out who OWNED the gun, maybe. An actual registration would track a firearm as it passed to each owner and would be accessable by the user to type in a serial # and viola, the entire owner history. Much like a vehicle registration or a VIN history. Word "games" are obnoxious but using precise language is important. Some see the precise use of words as games and it is not. When I review a use of force, EVERY word I use is important and has a specific reason why I used it. Those who second guess that review claim I play "word games".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    They can find out who OWNED the gun, maybe. An actual registration would track a firearm as it passed to each owner and would be accessable by the user to type in a serial # and viola, the entire owner history. Much like a vehicle registration or a VIN history. Word "games" are obnoxious but using precise language is important. Some see the precise use of words as games and it is not. When I review a use of force, EVERY word I use is important and has a specific reason why I used it. Those who second guess that review claim I play "word games".
    What is typically the reason for law enforcement to trace a gun (after crime already committed)? What might they be looking for generally? Are all guns involved in a crime traced per SOP, or is the decision to trace done case by case?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    White supremacists no matter their skin color...

If they're not white, then it's a reaction to white supremacists...
    “Everything in life is much easier when the answer to every question and every problem is the pure evil of your political opponents. It’s a fairly simple formula: When there is right-wing violence, it is the fault of Republicans for inspiring it. When there is left-wing violence, it is the fault of Republicans for provoking it.” – Jim Greaghty, 2020

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    And the feds and states are constantly doing whatever they can to “close the gun show loophole” and have “universal background checks” so they can do just as you say. Track every gun to every owner for all time.

They are building a registry.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What is typically the reason for law enforcement to trace a gun (after crime already committed)? What might they be looking for generally? Are all guns involved in a crime traced per SOP, or is the decision to trace done case by case?
    The owner? Soooooo many guns are stolen but are not reported for various reasons. If your gun gets stolen and you don't realize it and we find it, it will come back as "negative" on a wanted check. We seize it as evidence or whatever and then later you figure out it is stolen (maybe another state). You will likely never know it was already recovered prior to you realizing it was gone. Guns are stored in closets, dresser drawers, garages, storage units, vehicles, etc that can go months without the owner checking on them.
    Also, straw purchasers. They will not be reported as stolen as they were bought "legally" and they are trying to track the person who was buying them strictly to resell to prohibited persons. If the gun shop is out of business it is difficult to track who the shop sold them to.

TrueSeanamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2021
    Indiana
    The owner? Soooooo many guns are stolen but are not reported for various reasons. If your gun gets stolen and you don't realize it and we find it, it will come back as "negative" on a wanted check. We seize it as evidence or whatever and then later you figure out it is stolen (maybe another state). You will likely never know it was already recovered prior to you realizing it was gone. Guns are stored in closets, dresser drawers, garages, storage units, vehicles, etc that can go months without the owner checking on them.
    Also, straw purchasers. They will not be reported as stolen as they were bought "legally" and they are trying to track the person who was buying them strictly to resell to prohibited persons. If the gun shop is out of business it is difficult to track who the shop sold them to.
    I’ll keep the option of no registry over the microscopic chance of the feds building a registry and then not using it for reasons abusive to the 2a.

Top Bottom