• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Bigger, stronger animals pose more risk.
    No owner ever has total control.

People saying environment, owner blah blah blah. Everything is wonderful, until it isnt..

Dude on another forum argued in favor of pitts, until one day for unknown reason his tried to kill him. Just snapped.

Lucky it didnt happen to a kid

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    there Is one thing that is undeniable, they are currently the preferred dog of every wannabe badass.

People who believe in self defense, are more likely to defend themselves.
    People who don't believe in self defense, are more likely to not defend themselves.

Kinda the same thing.
    Guy hears about how bad these dogs are, so he gets them. Trains them to be mean.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    I have a co-worker that trains dogs with his wife on the side, and a subject like this thread came up yesterday. I felt some of the things discussed were relevant to this thread.

First thing is understanding the "operating system" of a dog on a general level. Dogs were very violent and carnivorous animals that hunted in packs, and through centuries of domestication and selective breeding, turned into the furry creatures that exist today. It wasn't just physical characteristics that were selected, but also behavioral ones as well. On a side note, this would be backed by a theory called "genetic memories", where certain preferences and dispositions are passed from generation to generation through genetic code (such as an artistic mother spawning an artistic child).

Regardless of training, personality, and preferences, the core "operating system" is that they are still fierce pack animals. It's also what explains their fierce loyalty to their masters when a healthy relationship is established.

What my co-worker said is that there is almost always an Alpha/Beta relationship with dogs, be it people or other dogs. It's why smaller ankle-biters can command respect from larger dogs, as they are the dominant. Problems arise when people treat their dogs with the same independence as a human. If the dog doesn't see you as the "Alpha", they will be significantly more difficult to control, especially with bigger breeds. Training and treatment can alleviate many problems, but the core "OS" still exists.

With this information, I propose my own theory as to the explanation of some of the stats we have been seeing posted here. First is that a dog's disposition may be determined by breed, but is more affected by the way it was treated, the way its parents were treated, and how it's relationship with their master is set up. Training and conditioning may counter-act this, but a pit-bull trained to fight and put into a rescue home where they have free reign of the house will likely not end well.

Second is that even though dogs like chihuahuas may or may not be more aggressive, their attacks don't garner the same attention because due to their size and stature, are usually a lot less visceral and lethal.

In conclusion, yes their disposition and temperament is mainly influenced by the owner, however it is both bad owners that train their dogs for dogfighting, as well as owners who may have an aggressive dog but don't have a healthy Alpha/Beta relationship that contribute to the negative anecdotes we see posted here.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I am not a dog expert, this is just what I took away from a discussion I had with someone who has trained dogs for thee decades.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have a co-worker that trains dogs with his wife on the side, and a subject like this thread came up yesterday. I felt some of the things discussed were relevant to this thread.

First thing is understanding the "operating system" of a dog on a general level. Dogs were very violent and carnivorous animals that hunted in packs, and through centuries of domestication and selective breeding, turned into the furry creatures that exist today. It wasn't just physical characteristics that were selected, but also behavioral ones as well. On a side note, this would be backed by a theory called "genetic memories", where certain preferences and dispositions are passed from generation to generation through genetic code (such as an artistic mother spawning an artistic child).

Regardless of training, personality, and preferences, the core "operating system" is that they are still fierce pack animals. It's also what explains their fierce loyalty to their masters when a healthy relationship is established.

What my co-worker said is that there is almost always an Alpha/Beta relationship with dogs, be it people or other dogs. It's why smaller ankle-biters can command respect from larger dogs, as they are the dominant. Problems arise when people treat their dogs with the same independence as a human. If the dog doesn't see you as the "Alpha", they will be significantly more difficult to control, especially with bigger breeds. Training and treatment can alleviate many problems, but the core "OS" still exists.

With this information, I propose my own theory as to the explanation of some of the stats we have been seeing posted here. First is that a dog's disposition may be determined by breed, but is more affected by the way it was treated, the way its parents were treated, and how it's relationship with their master is set up. Training and conditioning may counter-act this, but a pit-bull trained to fight and put into a rescue home where they have free reign of the house will likely not end well.

Second is that even though dogs like chihuahuas may or may not be more aggressive, their attacks don't garner the same attention because due to their size and stature, are usually a lot less visceral and lethal.

In conclusion, yes their disposition and temperament is mainly influenced by the owner, however it is both bad owners that train their dogs for dogfighting, as well as owners who may have an aggressive dog but don't have a healthy Alpha/Beta relationship that contribute to the negative anecdotes we see posted here.

Take this all with a grain of salt, I am not a dog expert, this is just what I took away from a discussion I had with someone who has trained dogs for thee decades.
    Have been told the same basics by dog trainers I know. Dogs live in dog world and humans treating them as if they live in human world are training bad habits into the dog under the guise of love…

Word of the day,

Anthropomorphism​

Attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities​

Top Bottom