• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Pit bull type dog is the assault weapon of the dog world. Never met a mean or aggressive pit. I have found them to nothing but lovable.

Ignorance is high against this breed. Any challenge to this, I’ll post an equal gun article or stat.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And we used to have two pits across the street. A young couple owned them. They brought one with them that she had raised from a pup, Bella. A loveable slobber machine that was built like a tank. Then they adopted Macey from the shelter. She seemed nice too. Then Macey started jumping the 4' chain link fence to attack other dogs that were being walked past their house.

Bella would follow but would never join in the attacks. She had the pack urge deep down inside but not the drive to attack. So she's be right there, doing nothing, watching up close and personal to the action. :facepalm:

Eventually they took Macey and had her put down after the 3rd attack.

Bella saved their life I think*. Shortly after that event the following winter, She was scraping her windows as the car warmed up. A guy walked up behind her and pointed a gun at her. His intent was to force her inside, lock her up and steal their stuff. (this was the 2nd stop for the pair) She panicked and ran inside the house screaming. Next thing I saw on my cameras was the sound of Bella barking from the top of the stairs and the perp doing his PERFECT Usain Bolt impression. :lmfao:

*Her husband was a big guy, but not athletic and not the brightest bulb. Nice guy, but would have probably done something stupid during the robbery.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I totally get that. And while not the most valuable trait, it's still floating around the DNA. And it's impossible to say with certainty just how many generations removed any one dog is from one that was bred purely for aggression.

Compare that to dogs like mastiffs. They were bred for aggression, 2000 years ago. They fought lions in the Coliseum for the Romans entertainment.

It's taken 2000 years, but humans have largely turned mastiffs into gentle giants. I say largely, because even today you don't have to google that hard to find stories of them attacking and killing people.

When you choose to bring a dog into your home you have to weigh the risk vs reward. For me, there are many breeds I don't think are worth the risk, not just pit bulls.
    Meh. Mastiffs are just Pit Bulls.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Meh. Mastiffs are just Pit Bulls.
    If you say so...

Mastiff-On-White-03.jpg

4088a50a50349b64efa4225952eb68c7--pitbull-images-baby-pitbulls.jpg

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Are there any objective statistics or studies comparing breed of dog with significant injuries or fatal attacks?

I don't care much about "aggressiveness" in and of itself. Nor do I care much about minor bites. There are anecdotes on every side, so those are irrelevant.

I have no opinions on this until I see reliable evidence upon which I can base an opinion.

[ETA]

To begin to answer my own question...and the stats linked will take more study to determine reliability, but it's a place to start. However, I hate citing any stats that come from a plaintiff lawyer.

1684353369798.png

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are there any objective statistics or studies comparing breed of dog with significant injuries or fatal attacks?

I don't care much about "aggressiveness" in and of itself. Nor do I care much about minor bites. There are anecdotes on every side, so those are irrelevant.

I have no opinions on this until I see reliable evidence upon which I can base an opinion.

[ETA]

To begin to answer my own question...and the stats linked will take more study to determine reliability, but it's a place to start. However, I hate citing any stats that come from a plaintiff lawyer.

View attachment 276673

Wouldn't that chart require some context?
    Like, percentage of the population those breeds make up..

I'm sure Pit bulls don't make up 65 percent of the dog population, but still kinda important.
    Especially, how often do people identify the dog as a pit bull, when it's not..

Sorta like how every rifle in the news is now an assault weapon
    and ever pistol is a Glock.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee

[ETA]

View attachment 276673
    Does not appear to be a representative sampling?

I would assert some dogs are more prone to violent attacks than others. And by violent I am referring to doing what they were bred for. That’s not to say nurture does not play a huge part of the dogs disposition.

We have 5 LGD‘s and Tank who is highly trained for service yet he still retains his innate ability to take out 4 legged intruders in nothing flat.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    IKR.

These threads come up every five years or so and never go well.

I view dogs as work animals - sheep herding, sled pulling, etc.
    Every breed has an original purpose built in to its DNA, and bulldogs have fighting in theirs.

I have no dog in the fight - really, I don't care for dogs at all; I'm a cat person. (anyone surprised?)

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    IKR.

These threads come up every five years or so and never go well.

I view dogs as work animals - sheep herding, sled pulling, etc.
    Every breed has an original purpose built in to its DNA, and bulldogs have fighting in theirs.

I have no dog in the fight - really, I don't care for dogs at all; I'm a cat person. (anyone surprised?)
    One undeniable fact...I've never seen a cat working for the Feds.

Just sayin' :):

FedDog.PNG

Top Bottom