• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I’ve boiled down 15 gallons so far. Just my tree and a neighbor’s tree. I just tapped his last week though.
    We boil it down to around a pint per 5 gallons. It’s a little thinner but it’s good.

Does anyone filter their syrup or sap?
    I have been filtering through cheese cloth(any paint department has it) both the sap and finished syrup.
    I have a bag system currently and holding cheese cloth over it is easy to pour it into my pans. For hot packing I use a funnel with cheese cloth in it. Not mess free,but it keeps debris out.

I had one batch that just refused to not be cloudy. That one was a bit different. I used multiple funnels with coffee filters and mason jars. That cleared it up. Then just poured those jars into clean ones. I have already been using this batch and it is just as good as any others(was worried it would not seal well and did not want to reheat).

My hope when the season is done is around 15 gallons. It may be less or more though.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How is everyone doing?
    It has been hit and miss run wise the last week. Right after the cold snap though I have had a great couple of days. I may be a bit further north than many,but I am not sure all. No buds on any trees yet.

My run today is going to be a very dark syrup. It is not even half boiled down and the color is already fairly dark.

Now a question. Is that when most stop gathering sap,when trees bud?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    When trees bud or the spiles stop running, whichever comes first. Made what is likely our last quart today. Current inventory from all years: 4 gallons and almost 2 pints.

Silver maples already budding.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    We pulled all our taps a week ago from yesterday. Things weren't completely dried up, but the trees are starting to bud around here, plus all of us who were in on the joint effort had got plenty to satisfy our needs for the year, I think it was about 25-ish gallons total.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Temperature for this coming week where I am says Tuesday is a good day for sap to run.
    I will likely put in some of my taps Monday(tomorrow). The rest of the week it is above freezing night and day. It may be early, as I am no expert. Just going on the weather forecast alone and knowing freezing nights and above freezing days are great for runs. I may be early, but not much to lose trying.

If the taps I put out(just 2 trees) are running I will tap some others.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've only got two trees tapped with two buckets on each and I've collected around 7 gallons or so thus far. One of mine started running pretty good three dayss ago and the other seems to have just turned on. Little warmer lows coming up than they were originally calling for, hopefull it'll keep running.

I've got the first batch on the cooker now. This is only my second time trying and last time I cooked most of the water off over a wood fire. I'm currently using propane, I'm waiting to see how long the tank lasts before deciding if I need to build another makeshift wood fire area.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Where are you guys sourcing those food grade 5g buckets ? I have been using the metal taps with the hangers and milk jugs…. I need to switch to the hoses and buckets.

Top Bottom