• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    What type of entry level wood burning evaporator setup would you recommend for 15 taps?
    Something homemade might fit the bill. There are plans for evaporators using sheet metal roofing, cinder blocks and rectangular cooking pans, and some using 55 gallon drums (there are hardware kits for these). A rocket stove might also work.
    You better have a lot of wood ready.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I suspect most folks have absolutely no idea how much goes into making authentic Maple syrup.

Made some with our youngest daughter for a while....she knows.

Last winter she had some folks over for a "brunch". Folks were dumping something labeled "Maple Syrup" all over their waffles. Daughter called me into the kitchen and pulled out a small jar of the real stuff and did a nice little pour on two she had set aside......."This is for us".

Much good stuff right there.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Anybody else started tapping yet this year?

Put out 60 taps yesterday with my BIL. Not the most ideal weather coming up, but hopefully we'll get a good run at least a few days this week, and it was definitely flowing good yesterday as we were tapping. We've both had busy schedules this year, so we wanted to get the taps out while we have time to do so. Hopefully we'll have enough to start boiling on Wednesday, which is the current plan.

My younger brother already put out about 35 taps, which he got in before the weather turned warm after the really cold spell a couple weeks ago. Apparently there's already been a few really good runs, and he's already got 2 gallons of syrup done. :drool:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I put out 25 taps right after the xmas freeze. So far I’ve made a gallon of syrup. I missed getting some more out yesterday as we had a light run. I was putting more solar panels on the mini greenhouse of the roof of the house.

I have lines run for about 200 taps but will probably only tap a hundred or so this year. Too many other projects.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    So far we're to about 12 gallons of syrup between the joint efforts of myself, my dad, and my sister and BIL. Things had slowed down last week but then we had a really good run after this past weekend, so we should get another 4-5 gallons with the next boiling. The trees we're tapping are scattered all over across a couple different properties, so we don't use line, but do in the old fashioned way with buckets and a few barrels in the back of a pickup.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    ...sigh. Well I was boiling off some sap and left it unattended far to long.

Did you know when all the sap boils off it makes LOTS of smoke and the charred remains are really tough to clean out?

I will not make this mistake again.

Still time left though. Live and learn.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington

Did you know when all the sap boils off it makes LOTS of smoke and the charred remains are really tough to clean out?

Shucks, that stinks.

The very first time we did maple syrup was when I still lived at home, and we were doing it outdoors in a big metal pan over an open fire. The pan got dropped while taking it off the heat, spilling most of the syrup on the ground.

When every drop takes so much work, it's really frustrating losing it to accidents.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Been following this thread, thanks for the insights to the guys who do this.

Anyhoo, I found this recipe for Maple Butter online and made it yesterday. Had it on dinner rolls last night...it was a hit!

Maple Butter Recipe

Ingredients

• 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
    • 1/2 cup dark or robust maple syrup
    • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Instructions

Let 1 stick unsalted butter sit at room temperature until softened. Meanwhile, place 1/2 cup maple syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until reduced by a quarter, 10 to 12 minutes (keep a close eye, as the syrup could boil over!). The syrup will look thick and coat the back of a spoon and the bubbles in the pan will be larger and slower. Remove from the heat and let cool completely, 20 to 25 minutes.

Beat the butter in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. (Alternatively, beat the butter with a whisk.) Add the cooled maple syrup, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Beat until fluffy and lighter in color, 1 to 2 minutes.

Recipe Notes

Spice substitutions:
    Freshly grated nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice can be substituted for the cinnamon.

Storage: Refrigerate maple butter in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 1 month. Some maple syrup might bead on the surface of the butter after a few days. Let the butter come to room temperature, then re-whip until smooth and well-combined. If frozen, thaw overnight in the refrigerator and re-whip before serving.

Derbster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Lawrenceburg
    I’ve boiled down 15 gallons so far. Just my tree and a neighbor’s tree. I just tapped his last week though.
    We boil it down to around a pint per 5 gallons. It’s a little thinner but it’s good.

Does anyone filter their syrup or sap?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

BTDT.

I’ve made similar mistakes a few times.

I’ve been having some good runs this week. 3 gallons made so far, another gallon in process.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I’ve boiled down 15 gallons so far. Just my tree and a neighbor’s tree. I just tapped his last week though.
    We boil it down to around a pint per 5 gallons. It’s a little thinner but it’s good.

Does anyone filter their syrup or sap?
    Pint per 5 gallons sounds pretty typical, I think? That's still a 1:40 ratio, if I'm doing my mental math right. We don't usually measure by volume, but by the boiling temperature of the final product, though, so I could be off on the ratio.

Top Bottom