• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would love to get one of those Tippmann's, but after just spending $1k for a bolt action .308, right after building another AR, my gun fund is tapped. I still need to buy glass, a cleaning rod/kit for the rifle, rings for the scope and more ammo... :ugh:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Great.
    Now I have 3 rifles on my radar. :facepalm:
    It just never ends. :dunno:
    Totally unsolicited and potentially harsh advice follows ... proceed with caution.

It will never end as long as you are pursuing accuracy via equipment. You currently have all that you need to create sub MOA groups at any range that you care to shoot at. In fact, we've seen some of your groups that prove this.

What you lack cannot be bought in aisle 9 ... you need to consistently apply the proper shooting techniques that so many have shared with you. That's it.

Off the soap box now.

The other side of the coin is that you are having good safe fun. It's your time and your money to spend how you see fit. Who am I to be a buzz kill?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Totally unsolicited and potentially harsh advice follows ... proceed with caution.

It will never end as long as you are pursuing accuracy via equipment. You currently have all that you need to create sub MOA groups at any range that you care to shoot at. In fact, we've seen some of your groups that prove this.

What you lack cannot be bought in aisle 9 ... you need to consistently apply the proper shooting techniques that so many have shared with you. That's it.

Off the soap box now.

The other side of the coin is that you are having good safe fun. It's your time and your money to spend how you see fit. Who am I to be a buzz kill?
    Unfortunately this is very true. Get some good ammo and glass first. Once you get to where you are consistently sub MOA, maybe then consider dropping the coin on a better rifle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Off the soap box now.

I don't mind at all, & know I'm a walking target since I don't hide my foibles.
    Part of the fun of the forum for me is getting straight shooting advice. :coffee:

Sometimes there might be an "edge" to advice, but I have invited the same.
    Listening to your critics will tell you things you need to know, that your friends won't. :stickpoke:

I know I drive others nuts with my reckless-abandon, willy-nilly, frenzied approach to my hobby.
    I thought your comment,
    "What you lack cannot be bought in aisle 9," was the funniest thing I've heard all day. :laugh6:
    The best kind of humor, with truth hanging all over it.

But, you're right about having sooo much fun! :rockwoot:
    I am never happier than when I've got a new toy to play with. :ar15:

I have to do some pain-management b/c of the arthritis & the range is therapeutic for me. :fogey:
    This week it was working on a water heater, installing a shower faucet & carpet strips at my son's house.
    No help at all. :nono: I prefer the range. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What are the other 2? Sorry if its been covered herein already.
    1. Tikka: I've talked to guys here that have them or want them or that I've seen great range pics of
    2. Bergara (they have a new $600 econo version)

B/C of seeing range pics, I recently have bought:
    - Different CZ rifles: the 512 semi-auto, 457 Trainer & recently the 455 Varmint from Rala
    - Savage A22 (Ggreen did well with this)
    - Savage FV-SR bolt action from zachcz

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    1. Tikka: I've talked to guys here that have them or want them or that I've seen great range pics of
    2. Bergara (they have a new $600 econo version)

B/C of seeing range pics, I recently have bought:
    - Different CZ rifles: the 512 semi-auto, 457 Trainer & recently the 455 Varmint from Rala
    - Savage A22 (Ggreen did well with this)
    - Savage FV-SR bolt action from zachcz
    A big part of why those rifles shoot so well is the user. In my case with the Tikka, I was capable of out shooting my Ruger American so if I wanted better performance I HAD to step it up. The Ruger is o.k. for what it is, a 1-2 MOA rifle with mid range ammo, but I wanted better. The Tikka is sub MOA with the same ammo, and if I decide I want better then I'll need to get better ammo. I'm certain it could push hard on 1/2 MOA with really good ammo. Not sure I'm up to it, but I think the rifle is.
    Now, wanting a better rifle and growing into it, o.k., yeah, I can see doing that. In the long run it would probably be cheaper if a person did that right off the bat. Also if the rifle doesn't "fit", replacing it with something that is a better match would probably be a good idea. That's a big reason I no longer have any CZs, they just didn't fit me, at all. But buying a Anschutz and expecting to be consistently sub MOA right off the bat, ehhh, probably not going to happen.
    But also using 2 MOA ammo with a 2 MOA scope on a 1/2 MOA rifle will get you...yep, 2 MOA accuracy and precision. It all has to work together. You've already got rifles that should be capable of very good if not outstanding accuracy and precision.
    So its been said already, and I'll say it again. Work on the basics first. Once you've got that down, consistent groups that aren't getting any smaller will be the clue, then look at better glass and ammo, especially the ammo. Cheap ammo has its place, but trying to put holes in the same place time after time after time, ain't it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A big part of why those rifles shoot so well is the user. In my case with the Tikka, I was capable of out shooting my Ruger American so if I wanted better performance I HAD to step it up. The Ruger is o.k. for what it is, a 1-2 MOA rifle with mid range ammo, but I wanted better. The Tikka is sub MOA with the same ammo, and if I decide I want better then I'll need to get better ammo. I'm certain it could push hard on 1/2 MOA with really good ammo. Not sure I'm up to it, but I think the rifle is.
    Now, wanting a better rifle and growing into it, o.k., yeah, I can see doing that. In the long run it would probably be cheaper if a person did that right off the bat. Also if the rifle doesn't "fit", replacing it with something that is a better match would probably be a good idea. That's a big reason I no longer have any CZs, they just didn't fit me, at all. But buying a Anschutz and expecting to be consistently sub MOA right off the bat, ehhh, probably not going to happen.
    But also using 2 MOA ammo with a 2 MOA scope on a 1/2 MOA rifle will get you...yep, 2 MOA accuracy and precision. It all has to work together. You've already got rifles that should be capable of very good if not outstanding accuracy and precision.
    So its been said already, and I'll say it again. Work on the basics first. Once you've got that down, consistent groups that aren't getting any smaller will be the clue, then look at better glass and ammo, especially the ammo. Cheap ammo has its place, but trying to put holes in the same place time after time after time, ain't it.
    So much good stuff here! :thumbsup:
    I know you are correct, about ammo, optics & rifles, as others have been trying to pound through my head. :bash:
    I've only had the outdoor range 1 summer & I'm looking forward to my 2nd summer coming up in 2021.

Hopefully, I will be further ahead by this time next year, & hopefully will have initiated these insights.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Probably time for friendly competitions doddg, like best group gets the others rifle. .
    Now that's the new "funniest thing I've heard all day."
    And, coming from a guy who can shoot better standing up than I can on a rest, I can only take my rifle & run. :lmfao:

I assume this is payback for me buying one of your rifles on the cheap, or are you after one of my other rifles? :rofl:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    That’s only pistols. You know I’m a less serious rifle shooter than you are. 50 yards is the max limit where I have fun doing it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As stated above, learn the fundamentals of shooting, make sure you have the right glass, that it's setup correctly, etc. With that CZ rifle, you have a gun that you have to work up to the level of, meaning that the gun is already capable of outstanding results, you just have to train up to its level. Get good, consistent results that you're happy with at 25 or 50 yards, then and only then push it out farther. You have a benefit of having bought the rifle from someone on INGO, so you can reach out to them to find out what ammo the gun liked best, unless you've already done so. You can still do some testing with other ammo, but generally if the time was spent to find the best ammo that works with the gun, it's best to stick with it if it's available. Part of the fun is the testing, but if you already know, you eliminate one variable in your quest for good groups.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like a plan. Winner gets the savage

As stated above, learn the fundamentals of shooting, make sure you have the right glass, that it's setup correctly, etc. With that CZ rifle, you have a gun that you have to work up to the level of, meaning that the gun is already capable of outstanding results, you just have to train up to its level. Get good, consistent results that you're happy with at 25 or 50 yards, then and only then push it out farther. You have a benefit of having bought the rifle from someone on INGO, so you can reach out to them to find out what ammo the gun liked best, unless you've already done so. You can still do some testing with other ammo, but generally if the time was spent to find the best ammo that works with the gun, it's best to stick with it if it's available. Part of the fun is the testing, but if you already know, you eliminate one variable in your quest for good groups.
    I like the way you worded that: "you have to work up to the level of..."
    I know that applies to me x10.
    Buying guns from people I know & have bought from on INGO before is my favorite way to acquire.

I am looking forward to next summer to see what it brings.
    Right now I'm going to work on which rifle(s) I enjoy more than another.
    I can see that might be near impossible b/c I do so love the variety.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I like the way you worded that: "you have to work up to the level of..."
    I know that applies to me x10.
    Buying guns from people I know & have bought from on INGO before is my favorite way to acquire.

I am looking forward to next summer to see what it brings.
    Right now I'm going to work on which rifle(s) I enjoy more than another.
    I can see that might be near impossible b/c I do so love the variety.

Buying new guns is fine, but realize that until you have wrung all of the potential out of your current gun(s), there really isn't a reason to buy something else if you're trying to get more accurate. The stuff you have is already good enough. Once you are as good as you can get with those guns, then maybe look at something else if what you have isn't meeting a need. The only reason I recently bought a .308 rifle is due to not having a centerfire bolt action rifle yet. Now that I do, I won't buy another unless the one I have doesn't meet my needs in some way, though I know it won't be accuracy... ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Buying new guns is fine, but realize that until you have wrung all of the potential out of your current gun(s), there really isn't a reason to buy something else if you're trying to get more accurate. The stuff you have is already good enough. Once you are as good as you can get with those guns, then maybe look at something else if what you have isn't meeting a need. The only reason I recently bought a .308 rifle is due to not having a centerfire bolt action rifle yet. Now that I do, I won't buy another unless the one I have doesn't meet my needs in some way, though I know it won't be accuracy... ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That is exactly the philosophy I bring to most things. :thumbsup:
    I buy decent quality & keep it.
    Last car owned 13 yrs.
    My sports car near 11 yrs. (2004, bought 6 yrs. old w/9K miles).

I obviously don't apply that to the hobby, however. :dunno:

Top Bottom