• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've been working on a few things that are issues I've noticed over time, actually more like inconsistencies, because I've always known about them, but I don't consistently control them. I always told myself "it doesn't matter that much". WRONG!

1) How I grip the rifle and the physical pressures I'm putting on the rifle. Am I squeezing it to tight, am I too loose, am I pulling the rifle back into my shoulder, etc.

2) My finger placement on the trigger and my trigger squeeze. Too much finger, too little, just right. Am I yanking, slowly squeezing, follow through, etc.

3) My breathing. I noticed this ALOT today. I am breathing too heavily and causing too much movement. I was able to focus on that today and really slowed down and controlled my breathing. I felt WAY steadier with my aim after that.

I know this sounds like rookie stuff, but I've been shooting guns on a regular basis for 10 years now and I'm just now addressing these issues all together at once. It's one thing to read stuff on the internet by other people, but it's another thing to actually go out and practice for yourself. I'm looking forward to more practice.

Now that is the rudiments that cover the basics. :thumbsup:
    Even a professional football team does drills on "rookie" fundamentals.
    I recognize the 3 things you've mentioned b/c most are on my radar, or at least partially.
    Breathing & trigger pull I concentrate on, but grip & physical pressures put on the rifle I've heard referenced but nothing quantitative.

What I remember:
    - don't grip rifle too hard or too loose
    - be consistent where your trigger finger is placed on the trigger
    - pull trigger slowly & be "surprised" when it engages
    - I take 2 full breaths & shoot while holding my breath not when lungs are full or empty

I don't remember the 10 other things, or is that 30? :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Took advantage of the 40*+ weather today & I wanted to do another round with the bolt actions before the weather locked me out:
    - CZ 455 Varmint bull barrel
    - RPR
    - Savage FV-SR bull barrel

No awards today, no 80%, which was odd, or the coveted 90% today.
    All of these rifles are capable of 90% if I do my job.
    I have said these circles are 1", but they are really 7/8" (get confused with another set of targets I use).
    Each rifle had at least 1 fantastic group, albeit usually a flyer accompanied it :facepalm: .

If I just count the number of 4s & 5s each had here and they are all samish:
    - x3 RPR (76%)
    - x4 Savage FV bull barrel (72%)
    - x2 CZ 455 Varmint (68%)
    Since I'm not selling a rifle based on today's accuracy or precision, I didn't get out the calipers to check the precision.

Range 01.21.2021 50 yds x 3 bolts.jpg

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good shooting doddg.

I'd have a hard time eliminating any of those rifles based on those groups, pretty similar groups across the board.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just a little light fun today with a Henry Pump I picked up from a member last summer.
    Just using it for close range work at 25 yds.
    I have a Sig red dot on it & can barely see the 2" red circle I'm trying to shoot at, but at least I have a rifle to shoot indoors with.
    I used Aguila SE HV SCN.
    I was adjusting the red dot every target, which why the groups were moving around on me.
    You can see where I would adjust too far, going 2 clicks, instead of 1 in a direction.

Attachments

• Range 01.27.2021 15&21 ft. Sig red dot.jpg
      Range 01.27.2021 15&21 ft. Sig red dot.jpg
      60.2 KB · Views: 8

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    I wonder if something in an AR platform and adjustable stock. A high rise mount etc...you don’t have to get your head down in it so far.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    Would the Ruger Precision Rifle qualify? "An AR-style, full pistol grip enhances control. The Precision Rimfire Rifle is compatible..." View attachment 122957
    Would the Ruger Precision Rifle qualify? "An AR-style, full pistol grip enhances control. The Precision Rimfire Rifle is compatible..." View attachment 122957
    I really wouldn’t be the right guy to ask about that. I am aware of the options available in an AR that seems like it would be a benefit. The way your mount is set up on the Ruger you would have much more adjustment with the AR. Some mounts are low profile, up to 2” I believe. Plus offset AR scope mount like what you have on your Ruger. I am a little green around the ARs.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    If you get this man to go down the AR rabbit hole, you are both on your own from here on out. :nono:

:)
    I’m not an ar fanatic so we are safe. I have been eyeing the new smith 15-22 pistol though. May grab one tomorrow if pb has them and they aren’t closed hours early like today when I went ‍♂️

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you get this man to go down the AR rabbit hole, you are both on your own from here on out. :nono:

:)
    I had asked a friend about the SW 15-22 two years ago & they had said they were nothing special in accuracy like the RPR, just a fun shooter for those who want an AR platform.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I had asked a friend about the SW 15-22 two years ago & they had said they were nothing special in accuracy like the RPR, just a fun shooter for those who want an AR platform.
    My Tippmann AR 22 is pretty much out shooting the RPR I had with a Green Mountain barrel.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Just a little light fun today with a Henry Pump I picked up from a member last summer.
    Just using it for close range work at 25 yds.
    I have a Sig red dot on it & can barely see the 2" red circle I'm trying to shoot at, but at least I have a rifle to shoot indoors with.
    I used Aguila SE HV SCN.
    I was adjusting the red dot every target, which why the groups were moving around on me.
    You can see where I would adjust too far, going 2 clicks, instead of 1 in a direction.
    You may want to find an optic that has a red and green dot option. Much easier to see your target if the dot doesn't blend in with the target.

Maybe even look for an optic with different styles of "dots". A circle with crosshairs, for example, would be much easier to center on a target that is just a plain orange circle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My Tippmann AR 22 is pretty much out shooting the RPR I had with a Green Mountain barrel.
    I remember seeing someone who had posted range pics & talked about the Tippmann they had recently acquired seemed to have good potential: maybe that was you?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    6Cfg2qi.jpg

The fliers killed me on this target, but you can see the potential. I plan on running some match ammo in it soon.
    *scope is Athlon Helos, not Argos

dmf2yh7.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That is impressive, Mr. tdogg!

A .285 backed up with .309. Take the CCI SV flyers out and WOW!

Mr. doddg - I have a Tippmann pistol also though not the rifle (tdogg has both). HIGHLY recommend the Tippmann!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That is impressive, Mr. tdogg!

A .285 backed up with .309. Take the CCI SV flyers out and WOW!

Mr. doddg - I have a Tippmann pistol also though not the rifle (tdogg has both). HIGHLY recommend the Tippmann!
    Great.
    Now I have 3 rifles on my radar. :facepalm:
    It just never ends. :dunno:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I paid $500 for that rifle (M4-22 Pro) and added the longer aluminum handguard from the Elite series (Elite costs $550 new). I also added the UTG stock and a Larue 2-stage trigger. The rifle shoots about 50% smaller groups than my most accurate MP15-22 rifles did. Tippmann makes an excellent product.

Top Bottom