• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    they have shorter blocks where you could just use 2 and keep your ejection port more open
    I saw those.
    Looking at them now, in fact.
    I wasn't concerned about the ejection port being covered at the height the bottom of the riser mount would be covering the ejection port.
    Should I be?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bought some 1" rings that would work with the proprietary CZ rail on the 455 Varmint to replace the 1/2" rings, since the 1" rail riser mounts didn't attach to the CZ rail b/c of its 3 bolt attachment system.
    It made just enough difference that it seems to relieve some neck strain.
    It brought the ring height up more in line with all my other rifles.
    The CZ 512 ring height isn't as much but the stock is about 1" lower than on the 455, so it works.
    Can't wait to see it the neck strain is eased & hopefully might shoot a little better.

2 new 1inch rings.jpg Comparing new 1in rings wOld .5in rings.jpg

Attachments

• New 1in rings up close.jpg
      New 1in rings up close.jpg
      85.1 KB · Views: 10
    • 455 1in rings & scope front left view.jpg
      455 1in rings & scope front left view.jpg
      72.6 KB · Views: 10
    • 455 1in rings & scope rear left view.jpg
      455 1in rings & scope rear left view.jpg
      75.1 KB · Views: 10
    • Both 512 & 455 rings & scopes closer view.jpg
      Both 512 & 455 rings & scopes closer view.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 12
    • Both 512 & 455 rings & scopes longer view.jpg
      Both 512 & 455 rings & scopes longer view.jpg
      74.1 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    I don't know how you are "sized" but I find it hard to believe you need that short of a length of pull. When I am down on a scope my nose is usually touching or very close to my thumb that wraps around the stock. On my AR my nose is very close to the charging handle.

I would like to see a picture of you on that stock looking through the scope. That would help.

For me, I need a longer LOP than most stocks provide but this can be rectified. It's not hard to increase the LOP. And though it's ugly, you can tape foam to the top of the stock to get a good cheek weld.

Just some thoughts not knowing at all what you are dealing with. My point, I guess is you can probably get that 10/22 to work.
    I think the issue is he has arthritis in his neck so he needs to have everting as close to his head as possible so he can shoot without pain.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think the issue is he has arthritis in his neck so he needs to have everting as close to his head as possible so he can shoot without pain.
    Yes, whether I'm trying to "scrunch" my neck down the the stock to see through the scope :nono:,or trying to bend my neck back to do the same :nono:, I have a limited range of motion to work with.

Anything that brings the scope up higher than normal & being able to bring it back toward my eye (more than normal) is key.
    Which is why I learned that cantilever rings turned around backwards usually is best.
    Below are pics of what has worked OK in the past.
    It is progressing & I know I have limited time, & I will simply give up shooting rifles.
    I couldn't do it all day long even now, but I'm able to get through enough rounds for it to still be fun.

pic of Trainer wScope sights. left.jpg Ruger 10.22 pic with cantilever rings  scope.jpg Henry Golden Boy rt. side 10.22.19.jpg Henry Pump wScope July 2020.jpg left side.jpg

Pfcmaurx

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Jeffersonville
    Yes, whether I'm trying to "scrunch" my neck down the the stock to see through the scope :nono:,or trying to bend my neck back to do the same :nono:, I have a limited range of motion to work with.

Anything that brings the scope up higher than normal & being able to bring it back toward my eye (more than normal) is key.
    Which is why I learned that cantilever rings turned around backwards usually is best.
    Below are pics of what has worked OK in the past.
    It is progressing & I know I have limited time, & I will simply give up shooting rifles.
    I couldn't do it all day long even now, but I'm able to get through enough rounds for it to still be fun.

View attachment 125974 View attachment 125975 View attachment 125976 View attachment 125977 View attachment 125983
    I’m glad you still find ways to do what you enjoy. I have worked with people in the past with physical disabilities to find ways for them to shoot again.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally got to shot the two semi-auto rifles today.
    Also, shot the CZ 455 bolt action with both a different scope & higher rings today.

1st pic is of the semi-autos.
    Rows 1-3: Savage A22.
    Rows 4-6: CZ 512 (consistently been most accurate).
    I was dialing in scopes while moving from each target.

Savage A22 (improved each row in both 1/2" & 1"):
    1/2" = 12% - 16% - 31% (average = 20%)
    1" == 52% - 56% - 84% (average = 64%)

CZ 512
    1/2" = 60% - 76% - 68% (average = 64%)
    1" == 96% - 100% - 92% (average = 96%)

The bolt action CZ 455 Varmint improved in rows 1 & 2 after putting a different scope on it on 02.11.2021.
    I improved again in rows 3 & 4 when I put higher rings on it today, 02.17.2021.
    This has the 455 doing what I thought it would do.

CZ 455 Varmint.
    1/2" = 60% - 60% (average = 60%)
    1" = = 88% - 96% (average = 92%)

Range 02.17.2021 CZ 512 & SVG A22.jpg Range 02.17.2021 CZ 455 Varmint row 3&4.jpg :

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Looks like you found a couple rifles that will do the job. Time to ditch the others and out in practice. If it doesn’t say CZ on it, you should sell it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks like you found a couple rifles that will do the job. Time to ditch the others and out in practice. If it doesn’t say CZ on it, you should sell it
    Says the man with CZ after his name in a moniker.
    You very well are correct: that has been your track record.
    You've always said to keep the CZs & sell the rest.
    That could be the end of the matter, or the end of Chapter one. :coffee:

The CZ 512 bought last September from a member has always shot the best of anything in my hands.
    The CZ 455 bought from Rala in January is starting to show its stuff since I put different scope & rings on it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The CZ 512 needed some more height for the scope to ease my neck pain.
    I used one of the 1" riser mounts on it, & replaced the cantilever rings with 1/2" rings.

In trying to get the RPR to fit better, I used the other 1" riser mount on it.
    We'll see if it helps the neck & perhaps my shooting as has happened previous when I've increased the height of other scopes.

I inch riser mount on CZ 512.jpg 1 inch riser mount on RPR.jpg

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    The CZ 512 needed some more height for the scope to ease my neck pain.
    I used one of the 1" riser mounts on it, & replaced the cantilever rings with 1/2" rings.

In trying to get the RPR to fit better, I used the other 1" riser mount on it.
    We'll see if it helps the neck & perhaps my shooting as has happened previous when I've increased the height of other scopes.

View attachment 126567 View attachment 126569
    Can we just throw towel in on the ruger. It will never compete. At this point all you’re doing is wasting ammo thst could be used to practice with CZs to tighten Groups

(it does look good though. I will give you that)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Can we just throw towel in on the ruger. It will never compete. At this point all you’re doing is wasting ammo thst could be used to practice with CZs to tighten Groups

This right here. The Ruger is good for what it is, a relatively inexpensive, reliable rifle for hunting and plinking. Even the Precision, which is just the plain jane RAR in a fancy stock, nothing more. Not knocking the Ruger, I've had a couple and still have one that I use squirrel hunting and shooting steel. Cheap enough that if it gets banged up and some rust then oh well. The CZ is just simply a better made, more accurate, and yes, more expensive rifle. Start shooting some good ammo and it will become very obvious which is the better rifle.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Towel? It took months for me to do that to the Ruger 10/22 & it wasn't even close.
    That was one of my first .22 rifles bought from a favorite member: it was a special gun for a 10/22.
    But, it barely hit 60% accuracy, occasionally.

Today I got some better results with the RPR with the 1" riser mounts.
    That will buy the RPR some consideration/
    I think the Savage FV-SR could be in more danger.

1/2" white circle = 56% & 60% = 58% average today (60% - 56% - 60% previous w/o 1" riser mounts)
    1" red circle = 88% & 80% = 84% average today (68% - 76% - 80% previous w/o 1" riser mounts)

02.19.2021 RPR 25 yds w1in riser mount.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This right here. The Ruger is good for what it is, a relatively inexpensive, reliable rifle for hunting and plinking. Even the Precision, which is just the plain jane RAR in a fancy stock, nothing more. Not knocking the Ruger, I've had a couple and still have one that I use squirrel hunting and shooting steel. Cheap enough that if it gets banged up and some rust then oh well. The CZ is just simply a better made, more accurate, and yes, more expensive rifle. Start shooting some good ammo and it will become very obvious which is the better rifle.
    Good points. :thumbsup:
    I have much less experience than most here, but have found the same.

I have no desire to spend $1000 on a rifle upgrading it to improve performance, just to eke out a tad more accuracy.
    I'd just as soon start with a Tikka or Bergara or whatever other is out there & not even on my radar yet.
    But, as been suggested here, probably a waste with my limitations.

Or, I could just stay put where I'm at b/c I don't need the latest & greatest to be happy, not that I wouldn't try about anything just for fun & the experience of it if I could get in & out w/o too much loss.
    But, I did manipulate the bolt action on a friend's Bergara & it was particularly smooth & desirable.
    So little time, so much fun to be had. :ingo:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    More fun with the CZ 512 semi auto today after putting a 1" riser mount on it.
    I wasn't able to shoot the 512 as well today, but I discovered that the riser had worked loose around row 2 when I started getting some outliers.
    I was lucky to get it back up to 92% before I quit shooting & getting tired.
    The crosshairs are moving around with no stock rest to work with at the indoor range, but just resting on my chest.
    I can't wait to see how well I can improve at the outdoor range & next week it's supposed to get into the 40s

At least I was pleased with the last row:
    1/2" white circle= 80%
    1" red circle = 92%

02.19.2021 CZ 512 25 yds w1in riser mount.jpg

MountieHoo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Or you could build an ar15-22lr upper and boom instant fun. I don't know why they insist on making a gas tube hole because it's a direct blowback action, but at least they got rid of the forward assist which is just a decoration for 22lr conversions anyway. You just have to find your own 22lr barrel but it's certainly better than getting 22lr to play nice with a 1:7, 1:8, or 1:9 twist.
    22lr receiver and CMMG 22lr bolt carrier group

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Got more targets in today with the Savage FV-SR.

1/2" white circles: 40% & 60% = 50% average
    1" red circles: 84% & 88% = 86% average

02.19.2021 SVG A22 25 yds.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Didn't even wear a coat at MCF&G range today. :rockwoot:
    Down to goal of 1 semi-auto after today.
    Got down to 3 bolts, then 2 (last Sat), with goal of 1 next.

Shot all three of these today.
    I had a 5/8" target to use that worked well & another of small animals 3/4"+/-.

5/8" black circles
    5 rds each target

Row 1 = 22/25 = 88% CZ 512 semi
    Row 2 = 15/25 = 60% CZ 512 semi
    Row 1 & 2 average = 74%
    Note: Started shooting right and/or low.

Row 3 = 22/25 = 88% CZ 455 bolt
    Row 4 = 24/25 = 96% CZ 455 bolt
    Row 3 & 4 average = 92%

Row 5 = 21/25 = 84% Ruger Precision Rifle
    Row 6 = 17/25 = 68% RPR
    Row 5 & 6 average = 76%

Small animal targets (3/4"+/-)
    5 rounds each except CZ 512 in middle had 10 rds each with bottom animal having 15 rounds b/c of shooting awry.
    This was a ton of fun, except when the CZ 512 started going off on its own again.
    Same ammo, same brick.
    If it continues, I switch out the scope to see if that's the problem.

Row 1 = CZ 455 best
    Row 2 = CZ 455 best
    Row 3 = Tie between 455 & RPR
    Row 4 = RPR best

The CZ 512 usually beats everything else, but not today, not on these targets.
    Really enjoyed the change of pace & the margin of error allowed by the animals.

Range 03.03.2021 x3 rifles 5 of 8ths inch. update.jpg Range 03.03.2021 455 & 512 & RPR small animals.jpg

Last edited:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...It is progressing & I know I have limited time, & I will simply give up shooting rifles...
    I get the arthritis thing, but not sure I understand why the scope has to be close to the eye. If what you're actually saying, is that you can't "move" your neck forward to get into the "exit pupil" of a rifle scope, have you given any consideration to mounting a long eye-relief pistol scope on a rifle? That would move the optical "exit pupil" of the scope farther back from where it usually is with a rifle scope. It sounds like the problem you're describing may be the one that the handgun metallic silhouette people already had to solve, and there is at least one handgun metallic silhouette shooter on INGO who uses high magnification long eye-relief pistol scopes a lot (on pistols of course). If you look around a bit, the world of long eye-relief pistol scopes is not limited to low-magnification models.

Top Bottom