• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    if you want to apply the same logic of a handgun preparedness to a HD shotgun, then youd have to be sleeping with the shotgun in bed to be ready for instance use. Most people have the shotgun located at least a few steps from the bed, or under it, so they can grab it and go investigate. The chambered carry logic applies for situations where you might need to fire at an instant, where someone grabbed you or was an immediate threat.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    There's no right answer for every scenario. Just remember the rules of safe gun handling still apply at night when you hear a bump. Know your target and what is beyond it.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I see a few comments about the "sound" of a racking shotgun and how it might put fear into the bad guy. Are you the same people who carry a gun without a round chambered? I don\'t own a shotgun, but I would imagine that I would have it loaded and ready to rock, just like my defense pistol. What guarantee do you have that you will have time to pick up and rack?

Because if it is so quick of an encounter that I could not rack my shotgun, I will be engaging with the closer pistol (which has a round chambered) before even getting the shotgun. I like one feature of the Mossburg 500, that you cannot rack with it cocked. You need to push down the button on the bottom and rack. While this isn\'t true security, I like the idea of the loaded shotgun in the closet has the safety on and requires a button hold and rack to engage. That takes me less than a second, but could confound someone not familiar with the weapon.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    i have a buddy who's wife is a federal judge. here is her suggestion:
    make sure the perp is in your house, the front porch doesn't count

put him down

make sure he is down

empty the gun in him

throw the empty gun at him

leave the house screaming and call the police
    makes it seem to a jury that you were truly scared for your life and there was nothing calculated about your moves.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    KNOW THE LAW REGARDING DEADLY FORCE.... already posted... then....

Folks, think about the logistics.........

1. if the perp gets to a point where he can visualize you before you wake up, you're toast.

2. How many of you have warning systems to let you know someone is there BEFORE you have to shoot them?

3. look at the maximum shooting distance inside your home. Measure that and go to the range and see how your shotgun patterns at that range.

4. Assuming you've been TRAINED to do so, how effectively can you move through your home and clear it, with a shotgun, as opposed to a handgun.

5. Once you call 911, you stay in communication with dispatch UNTIL DISPATCH TELLS YOU TO HANG UP. That way the gents in uniform will know who is who..... because dispatch will not tell you to hang up..... the cops that arrive will tell you to hang up. Because you have told dispatch, and dispatch has told the responding officers, they will know where you are, and what you look like.

The time to think about draining the swamp is not when the gators are snapping at yer butt. :twocents:

Rambo only wins in the movies.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Because if it is so quick of an encounter that I could not rack my shotgun, I will be engaging with the closer pistol (which has a round chambered) before even getting the shotgun.

+1 , Good answer.

On the same note, I would still like to figure out how to where my holster to bed. that way I never have to take my gun off. And then if the BG standing over me when I wake up I will give him one hell of surprise. :rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The best weapon for home defense is a shotgun. The are several reasons. It gives you a second option if your not inclined to wait for them to actually enter your house (Nothing says hello like racking a shotgun round as they are attempting to gain entry). Your drywall should prevent most collateral damage. Finally you don't have to be a sharp shooter to be effective.

Just to take exception to 2 of these statements.

Shotgun blasts go right through drywall. Tests have shown that it goes through several walls worth of drywall. The heavier the pellet the more walls get penetrated, I recall one test (can't find it on the internet) where 00 Buck went through 8 walls.

Regarding being a 'sharpshooter' that I will also dispute to some extent. A typical shotgun blast, at in-home distances of typically 5 to 20 feet, won't spread nearly as wide as most people think. So if you've got buckshot and hit someone who is going to be not much more than a few yards away from you, there is not going to be much more than 1 or 2 inches of 'spread' from that shotgun blast. So shot placement is actually something that is important. You can't count on 'spread' to fix a bad shot. And if you miss, which is possible, then over penetration becomes a very real issue to consider.

I think there is actually plenty of evidence coming out that suggests a 5.56 round is a good choice for home defense. It does not tend to penetrate a lot of walls, especially if home defense/personal defense loads are use. A carbine type AR15 is just as handy in a hallway or home than a tactical shotgun, it has minimal recoil making it easier for women to use, and with a flashlight or laser mounted to it, it would make for sure targeting inside a home.

I'd also guess that the muzzle blast and noise generated by a 223/5.56 round that missed would be enough to scare the criminals into retreat, but if its not, there are 29 rounds still sitting in the magazine at the ready if needed.

Honestly I've been giving this considerable thought and am really thinking an AR15 carbine would be the ideal home defense gun with modern personal defense loads (like the Hornady TAPS rouds).

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I\'d also guess that the muzzle blast and noise generated by a 223/5.56 round that missed would be enough to scare the criminals into retreat, but if its not, there are 29 rounds still sitting in the magazine at the ready if needed.

This is also a good reason why a pair of Impacts or Tac-6s should be right next to your flashlight and pistol. If you are firing inside, it WILL affect your hearing. With electronic earmuffs, you can hear BETTER than you can normally both before and more importantly after firing. While out hunting, I could increase my hearing by 3x with my Impacts on. It really helps keep you walking quietly.

-XL-

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Your best bet is to sleep in a black balaclava, tac vest, knee pads and NVGs, with a 11.5" AR, so if it's the cops breaking down the door, you'll look like one of them and they won't shoot.

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    Just to take exception to 2 of these statements.

Shotgun blasts go right through drywall. Tests have shown that it goes through several walls worth of drywall. The heavier the pellet the more walls get penetrated, I recall one test (can't find it on the internet) where 00 Buck went through 8 walls.
    Exactly what Ive been saying, but everyone has their own opinion, so let them figure out what they think is best.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Exactly what Ive been saying, but everyone has their own opinion, so let them figure out what they think is best.
    It is easy to test out at the farm or a range that lets you take pieces of drywall out. But its been tested and proven many times that shotguns, especially buckshot, will go through a lot of wallboard. I sure would not want to shoot it in my house and risk hitting a family member or a pet 3 or 4 rooms away! But that is certainly possible with buckshot.

Lightweight bullets, like the Hornady TAP 223 rounds would be far better in a house, and the 223 rounds, in test, seem to penetrate fewer walls than handgun rounds or buckshot.

If not a handy 223 carbine then I think I'd consider a 9mm carbine with high expansion loads or maybe something like Mag-Safe or Glazer Safety Slugs.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The Glasers and Magsafe have been tested to suck big time. However, I will agree with the light bullet thing. In a carbine, I imagine either a 90gr. Sierra Power Jacket (or 90gr Corbon 9x19 loading), or a 102gr handloaded Golden Sabre (the .380 ones, but in a hot 9x19 loading) going about 1400 fps not overpenetrating, but going in deep enough to ruin some jack@ss' day if they break in. :)

I stick to my SLR106 now, loaded with Q3131.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You should check Indiana Law on this topic (it was quoted in a previous message) and note that it included "curtilage," which would include the front porch among other areas.

In any case, if you fear for your life or the life of others (or serious injury), it doesn't matter where you are.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:

SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]:
    [FONT=&quot] Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; only and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, or curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.
    (c) With respect to property other than a dwelling, or curtilage, or an occupied motor vehicle, a person is justified in using reasonable force against another person if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to immediately prevent or terminate the other person's trespass on or criminal interference with property lawfully in the person's possession, lawfully in possession of a member of the person's immediate family, or belonging to a person whose property the person has authority to protect.

Curtilage............ Curtilage Law & Legal Definition

[/FONT]Curtilage is the immediate, enclosed area surrounding a house or dwelling. The U.S. Supreme Court noted in United States v. Dunn, 480 U.S. 294 (1987), that curtilage is the area immediately surrounding a residence that "harbors the `intimate activity associated with the sanctity of a man's home and the privacies of life.'' Curtilage, like a house, is protected under the fourth amendment from "unreasonable searches and seizures.''
    Determining the boundaries of curtilage is imprecise and subject to controversy. Four of the factors used to dtermine whether to classify the area as curtilage include:
    1) The distance from the home to the place claimed to be curtilage (the closer the home is, the more likely to be curtilage);
    2) Whether the area claimed to be curtilage is included within an enclosure surrounding the home;
    3) The nature of use to which the area is put (if it is the site of domestic activities, it is more likely to be a part of the curtilage); and
    4) The steps taken by the resident to protect the area from observation by people passing by (shielding from public view will favor finding the portion is curtilage).

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

put him down

make sure he is down

empty the gun in him

throw the empty gun at him

leave the house screaming and call the police
    makes it seem to a jury that you were truly scared for your life and there was nothing calculated about your moves.

Why does being afraid make legal self-defense more acceptable? I do not understand how an action is more acceptable because of fear. Because one person is ******** their pants during an encounter due them having a cowardly soul, they are justified in using lethal force? But someone else in the same situation who is able to control their fears would not be as justified?

I like it that we don't have to retreat in this state, and I don't want to pretend I was scared if I was not. If I was scared I would prefer to hide it. If someone comes breaking into the house I fully intend to demonstrate wrath in such a way as that person has never seen. Let the criminal bastard be scared.

Top Bottom