• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    The best weapon for home defense is a shotgun. The are several reasons. It gives you a second option if your not inclined to wait for them to actually enter your house (Nothing says hello like racking a shotgun round as they are attempting to gain entry). Your drywall should prevent most collateral damage. Finally you don't have to be a sharp shooter to be effective.
    The type of weapon has nothing to do with prosecution for shooting the burglar (no such thing as overkill, dead is dead) however you do have some responsibilty for rounds that may strike your neighbors kid sleeping in their bed. An AR should be an option only if you have no other.

When I first read "shotgun" I was praying you would NOT say that...

IIRC, .32 00 tends to penetrate walls farther than .223...

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Why does being afraid make legal self-defense more acceptable? I do not understand how an action is more acceptable because of fear. Because one person is ******** their pants during an encounter due them having a cowardly soul, they are justified in using lethal force? But someone else in the same situation who is able to control their fears would not be as justified?

I like it that we don't have to retreat in this state, and I don't want to pretend I was scared if I was not. If I was scared I would prefer to hide it. If someone comes breaking into the house I fully intend to demonstrate wrath in such a way as that person has never seen. Let the criminal bastard be scared.

FEAR meaning "worried about your life coming to an end." That's not fear to you? Noone said you have to mess your pants.

ETA: I've been in a "scary" situation that put a little bit of "fear" into me but luckily I had plenty of time to think...

I had a man climb through my car window at Route 30 and Broadway in Merrillville IN. The only intelligible thing coming out of his mouth was motherf&$#er this and f$#k that. He was mad I didn't turn on red. He was arguing with my friend for what seemed like forever. The only reason he paid any attention to me was after the 7TH time shouting "get the f&$k out of my car NOW!" I made sure he looked down and saw what I was carrying on my hip. I couldn't pull out at that time due to traffic.

The man was truly insane. I wasn't afraid and pissing my pants, I was afraid that this situation would get worse before better. There is always some degree of fear. I wasn't in fear of my life or well being but had I been I have to say I would have shot him. Instead, the light turned green and we went for a ride before he began bouncing across the pavement in front of White Castle.

I didn't know his intentions and took the time to try and figure them out. In this case, I'm glad I did. Had we been 5 miles North and someone did that, I wouldn't have been able to waste time thinking...

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Coach, The term "I was afraid for my life" is nothing more than a trigger for "brady types" and criminal attornys to grasp that you felt like you had no other option than to use deadly force.
    Example: A criminal breaks into your house with a ball bat. You could easily disarm him and detain him until police arrive but because the scum bag broke into your house and threatened your family you clicked off the safety and put a couple shells worth of 00Buck into the home invader and the police were just picking up a body bag.
    The use of force was justified in the state of indiana but because you say to the police investigators and detectives, that you were never once scared for your life you just took the shot because the scum was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    The criminal defense attorney gets wind of this while reading some deposition and in an effort to represent the family of the deceased charges you with "excessive use of force". Stating that you had already mentioned that you were NOT afraid for your life and could have easliy overtook the perp.
    6 of the twelve jurors are "brady" types and the other 6 are spineless do gooders who simply want to go home. Coach gets to go to prison for "Involuntary manslaughter" and give up his right to own guns.

I understand that you are not going to lie for anyone and you don't have to be "afraid" in order to defend your home.
    That said "I" would not pull the trigger unless I was "afraid" for my life or the lives of my loved ones.

Thanks Mike. I understand the situation. I understand the dangers of not using the afraid and so sorry afterward, but the thought of doing it repulses me. I am thankful for the Castle Doctrine being in place so legally I do not have to.

To the other gentleman who made some comment about my tough guy attitude. (don't have the skill to quote twice I don't think) I am 38 years old and been around the block a couple of times, and I know what I am capable of and what I am not. Someone breaks in here I might not win but I plan on it. I can promise that I will not empty the gun into him, throw it at him and go screaming to the neighbors in panic. I gave up running in March of 1992. Think what you want.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To the other gentleman who made some comment about my tough guy attitude. (don't have the skill to quote twice I don't think) I am 38 years old and been around the block a couple of times, and I know what I am capable of and what I am not. Someone breaks in here I might not win but I plan on it. I can promise that I will not empty the gun into him, throw it at him and go screaming to the neighbors in panic. I gave up running in March of 1992. Think what you want.

If anyone cares about my opinion, I'll add:

Coach doesn't have a "tough guy attitude." He's being candid and realistic here, nothing more and nothing less.

I agree with his attitude, especially since I know he can back it up. I choose to not discuss my personal "plans" in depth online, but I'd be happy to share my opinion with anyone in person. Anyone who labels me a "tough guy" not only doesn't know me, but knows nothing about me, but if someone threatens me or my family & friends, my only goal will be to end their ability to threaten us. That requires a significant amount of controlled, directed aggression and the commitment to do what you need to do to prevail. I'll worry about other issues after everyone is safe and secure. There is zero difference between my attitude and Coach's on this issue.

Last edited:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Someone breaks in your home and you take the time to do a full risk assessment analysis and we will potentially splitting whatever guns they did not get from your cold hands.

I have a wife, and kids, and a life that is mine. I knew a guy growing up, an assistant manager at a Pizza Hut that once took a hit to the head with a bat. It put him in the hospital and permanently took much of the motion from his left side like a stroke.

There is no heroism in my house at 3 am in the dark when my kids and wife are at stake. There is only protection and survival. The person gives the opportunity to follow instructions and then does so with speed and care - we both may survive the situation. Otherwise I will protect myself and my family.

We can beat a dead horse here. But there are countless cases of gun owners who have paused when they could have fired and it cost them and their families lives.

In one mall shooting years back a teenager was killing people right and left and a CCW holder got the drop on him and ordered him to drop his weapon. The kid shot him and severed his spine. The kid then went on to kill more people. The CCW later said, "he was just a kid, I did not want to shoot him."

Bat = Club. Club = Weapon of war for 1000's of years.

If there is a moment that requires decisive ferocity of will and force, pondering things like "disparity of force" and playing out legal battles may end up getting you and your family killed.

At the same time, if you are unsure of yourself legally and skill wise - drop some money on classes like the many that are taught here in the state and some by members here on the board. Do your thinking an pondering there - NOT in your PJ's facing down death in your hallway at 3 am!

:+1:

Heard a LOUD 3am crash one night, luckily, it was just a large aluminum cake pan that found it's way to the kitchen floor, but there I stood, 12ga in hand, safety off, with barrel mounted flashlight scanning the darkness.

Once the adrenalin was gone, my wife and I both had a good laugh at the image of me in my tidy whitey's shotgun in hand!
    I told her, laugh if you want, but I had the drop on that cake pan!
    :D

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    :+1:

Heard a LOUD 3am crash one night, luckily, it was just a large aluminum cake pan that found it's way to the kitchen floor, but there I stood, 12ga in hand, safety off, with barrel mounted flashlight scanning the darkness.

Once the adrenalin was gone, my wife and I both had a good laugh at the image of me in my tidy whitey's shotgun in hand!
    I told her, laugh if you want, but I had the drop on that cake pan!
    :D

I'll be hat cake pan pooped its pants when it heard that shotgun slide rack!!! ROTFLMAO :lol2: :chuck: :lmfao:

Oh, and PICS... or it didn't happen. :rofl::laugh:

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I'll be hat cake pan pooped its pants when it heard that shotgun slide rack!!! ROTFLMAO :lol2: :chuck: :lmfao:

Oh, and PICS... or it didn't happen. :rofl::laugh:
    I'll have you know, my 870 is always racked & ready!:draw:
    So that cake pan never even had the chance to excrete any chocolate icing!:n00b:

There will be NO pictures and you should thank me for it!:D

NOBODY wants to see that!:puke:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    anyone use slugs for home defense? that'll defeat body armor

I use #4 buckshot for home defense. Or if I happen to grab my .45 I have some special hand loads that I like to refer to as flying ash trays. There's less chance of these paying a visit to the people next door or making it threw to one of the kids rooms...JC

Top Bottom