• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    ok if you here someone trying to break in to your home. what is the best thing to do to be safe in court. (my theory is you have to survive the situation before you can survive the courts) but just checking. I have a springfield and 2 full clips beside my bed. lets say i had time though to grab my AR15. you know more ammo is better if there are a few people trying to rob you. but i heard that you more than likely going to jail if you use an Ar.
    i would probably kneel down behind my bar and soon as the door opens (if that is where they come in) then use my weapons to handle the situation. just trying to get some others output and views.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If they broke into your home, they and the courts are just fine with you putting them down by whatever means you choose.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    If they broke into your home, they and the courts are just fine with you putting them down by whatever means you choose.

I would think the courts would not look favorably to someone turning a home invader into pink vapor using an AR at close range. Might be a different story if the homeowner were using a handgun. Something about the level of deadly force used to stop a threat.

There's other questions involved too. Did you just vaporize an unarmed burglar, or a drunk that just has the wrong house. There's so many scenarios and ways this could be played out it would almost require a legal eagle to say for sure.

:rolleyes: :yesway:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Springfield = 1911 or M1A?

All things being equal, I think an AR is the last firearm I'd use in a home defense situation, unless that Springfield is an M1A? .223 or .308 rounds would probably not be a welcome visitor to my neighbor's house when they go through the drywall and siding of my house.
    The Box O' Truth #1 - The Original Box O' Truth - Page 1*

* I have 3 or 4 sheets of 1/2" drywall in my garage if anyone wants to recreate this kind of thing.

Feign

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Columbus-ish

BLAM!

There is no question. An unannounced and unexpected visitor anywhere on my property (especially within the walls of the house) will receive their last "Hello."

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Something about the level of deadly force used to stop a threat.

There are only theoretical levels of force beyond deadly.
    Something that traps and torments a soul eternally may be frowned upon.:):

BLAM... BLAM BLAM BLAM...

BLAM.

Edit: *choke* BLAM.

Last edited:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    There are only theoretical levels of force beyond deadly.
    Something that traps and torments a soul eternally may be frowned upon.:):

BLAM... BLAM BLAM BLAM...

BLAM.

well thats true enough I suppose.... aight guess this goes back up in the attick.

2ah8gvm.jpg

:):

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Always make sure your the first one to call the police also. That more often than not will show you are the victim and not the aggressor.

Deadly force is deadly force...rather it be from a car, baseball bat, knife or gun you still end up with the possibility of killing.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Deadly force is deadly force. Use a ball bat, golf club, AR-15, or 1911.

SOURCE: IC 35-41-3-2; (06)EH1028.1.1. --> SECTION 1. IC 35-41-3-2 IS AMENDED TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2006]: Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.
    (b) A person:
    (1) is justified in using reasonable force, including deadly force, against another person; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that the force is necessary to prevent
    or terminate the other person's unlawful entry of or attack on the person's dwelling, or curtilage, or occupied motor vehicle.

Info for other states.... Castle doctrine law .. know your self defense rights

Last edited:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    it doesnt matter what you use. looking at the classifieds got me to thinking...it would be awesome to use a flame thrower, but then you would probably burn down your house :laugh:

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    it doesnt matter what you use. looking at the classifieds got me to thinking...it would be awesome to use a flame thrower, but then you would probably burn down your house :laugh:

Dang I was thinking similar. Only as long as my family got out , the house burning down to the ground would be a good thing. Insurance is a wonderful freind when the pay off of the morgage is higher than the value of the house.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Actually, this is a quite relevant question. As many self defense experts will soon chime in (Where are you Rhino?)
    With the advent of home invaders using body armor with more regularity it is more and more common to hear those professionals suggest the use of an AR or AK or some other body armor defeating firearm to stop a home invader and protect your family and home.

Oh and for whomever wants to recreate the "Box-"O"-truth" tests I m certainly up for a day at the range!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    The law sees all firearms as well as knives, bats, etc. as lethal force. If the shoot is good, it is good. HOWEVER, if it ends up in court for some strange reason as questionable, then having an AR with a fake grenade launcher and a stenciled on picture of the punisher might make a defense difficult. As far as your neighbors, over-penetration is an issue to research.

Personally, I will grab the largest defense item I have if I can. I will not face off with a pair of bad guys holding a J-Frame if I could be holding an AK instead. I have children to protect, not to mention myself.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Actually, this is a quite relevant question. As many self defense experts will soon chime in (Where are you Rhino?)
    With the advent of home invaders using body armor with more regularity it is more and more common to hear those professionals suggest the use of an AR or AK or some other body armor defeating firearm to stop a home invader and protect your family and home.

Oh and for whomever wants to recreate the "Box-"O"-truth" tests I m certainly up for a day at the range!

Oh, yeah! You may be on there. Where are you located?

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Good Ol' Remington 870 Tactical 12ga with 9 rounds of 00 buck is my pick of the litter for the above mentioned welcoming committee duties!

Ya just can't beat a good ol' shotgun for inside the house work.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I've always wondered what you should do if you hear "Police... we have a warrant". If I was the badguy in someone else's home, and I sensed there would be a confrontation, that's what I'd do.

BAS2686

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The best weapon for home defense is a shotgun. The are several reasons. It gives you a second option if your not inclined to wait for them to actually enter your house (Nothing says hello like racking a shotgun round as they are attempting to gain entry). Your drywall should prevent most collateral damage. Finally you don't have to be a sharp shooter to be effective.
    The type of weapon has nothing to do with prosecution for shooting the burglar (no such thing as overkill, dead is dead) however you do have some responsibilty for rounds that may strike your neighbors kid sleeping in their bed. An AR should be an option only if you have no other.

Top Bottom