I have been reinforcing my decision to never again fly in an airplane.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You can take food, assuming it's not liquid. A cheeseburger or chicken sandwich is fine, done it many times and sent my SIL who loved McD's chicken sandwich off with a sack of them.

Relevant from TSA website:

Nuts

• Carry On Bags: Yes
    • Checked Bags: Yes
    TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food?page=0 breaks it down, but seeds aren't specifically listed so I just went with nuts as the closest.
    On two different intercontinental flights Ive had food liberated by tsa checkpoints.
    Maybe he just wanted the turkey jerkey and gummy bears for himself?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On two different intercontinental flights Ive had food liberated by tsa checkpoints.
    Maybe he just wanted the turkey jerkey and gummy bears for himself?

Maybe, but foreign flights do sometimes change the rules up a bit because you now have to be concerned with import/export and Customs rules for both nations. I'm surprised at the gummy bears, unless they were considered 'gel' somehow, but meat can be problematic. Both pork and poultry products aren't allowed to be brought into the US, for example, regardless of checked or carry on. (exceptions do exist, but as a general rule)

See: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/travelers-int

That shouldn't be a TSA thing, though, as far as I know.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Maybe, but foreign flights do sometimes change the rules up a bit because you now have to be concerned with import/export and Customs rules for both nations. I'm surprised at the gummy bears, unless they were considered 'gel' somehow, but meat can be problematic. Both pork and poultry products aren't allowed to be brought into the US, for example, regardless of checked or carry on. (exceptions do exist, but as a general rule)

See: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/resources/travelers-int
    At the height of the covid sillyness.
    I was in and out of Winnipeg a few times in the last years or so. Food stupid on the way there with the last of 3 flights.
    No issues flying home. Maybe 30 seconds with customs and immigration.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I only fly a couple times a year for work. I do not like it either. When we are flying in turbulence or something seems strange., I just look at one of those business types that live on planes. If they don't react I don't either. Although one time flying into Detroit we landed in a wind storm and I thought there is no way we are going to make it. We aborted the first try and went around for a second go and some how that pilot put in down in 50 mph winds.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I only fly a couple times a year for work. I do not like it either. When we are flying in turbulence or something seems strange., I just look at one of those business types that live on planes. If they don't react I don't either. Although one time flying into Detroit we landed in a wind storm and I thought there is no way we are going to make it. We aborted the first try and went around for a second go and some how that pilot put in down in 50 mph winds.
    On the way out of the plane I always ask the crew - "Was that a landing or were we shot down?"

They love that joke just as much as the first thousand times they heard it. :)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You can take food, assuming it's not liquid. A cheeseburger or chicken sandwich is fine, done it many times and sent my SIL who loved McD's chicken sandwich off with a sack of them.

Relevant from TSA website:

Nuts

• Carry On Bags: Yes
    • Checked Bags: Yes
    TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food?page=0 breaks it down, but seeds aren't specifically listed so I just went with nuts as the closest.
    Yeah, but you know the secret handshake.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Probably my last post. Giving the metal death tube another crack at me.

Also, got my Global Entry interview done in Chicago this morning. The actual interview was incredibly quick and easy. This you? You live here? These your fingerprints (ok, they didn't ask that, they just had me touch the finger printer doodad), been arrested for anything? Cool. NEXT!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Also, got my Global Entry interview done in Chicago this morning. The actual interview was incredibly quick and easy. This you? You live here? These your fingerprints (ok, they didn't ask that, they just had me touch the finger printer doodad), been arrested for anything? Cool. NEXT!
    Can I take care of your truck keys for you while you’re in the death tube?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Dibs on all your guns and ammo…

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Wait.... You made it out of Chicago alive and now you're giving the tube of death a chance at you also!
    :wow:
    I see you are a gambling man.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

I'm in the Global Entry renewal process. I've got to fly up to DTW for an interview, because I added the ABTC this go-round. But, the renewal application was processed in like 48 hours.

Top Bottom