I have been reinforcing my decision to never again fly in an airplane.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I admit I was scared to death the first time I flew and the only thing I did was watch the movie La Bamba. I was about 10 years old and my cousin took my brother, father, and I up in a five passenger plane after he got his pilots liscence. I since have flown many times since then and always want a window seat now.
    I haven't flown a lot, but I always requested a window seat. I like looking out the window at the view down below.

Plus, you know when to start praying when you realize the plane is corkscrewing into the ground.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The whole death tube canard was started after some said they do not enjoy the flight experience today. I saw no one say they were afraid to fly..,

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The whole death tube canard was started after some said they do not enjoy the flight experience today. I saw no one say they were afraid to fly..,

The very first post was *literally* about the OP watching a show about plane crashes:
    Well, what I have been doing to reinforce that decision is bingeing the TV show "Air Disasters" Holy f, their reenactments are wild. You can quote me statistics about how it it safer than some other forms of travel. I don't care. Sure, I may die in a car accident, but it wont be plunging to the planet from several thousand feet, inverted, at 400 miles an hour, with minutes to consider how I'm about to become splattered across the landscape and indistinguishable from the remains of the other poor souls on the plane with me.

and you don't see the connection to the death tube thing? :lmfao:

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Closest thing to a "death tube" I ever flew on was the old Swearingen Metro IV 19-seat twin turboprop. It looked like a toothpaste tube with (small) wings.

1671166091097.jpeg

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I took a military flight to Germany way back. It was a civilian airliner type aircraft but there was none of that first class stuff, no dividers at all, just one long tube full of small seats.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The first time I flew I was about 7 or 8 years old, so around 1971 or or so. It was a fun and exciting experience. My mom made me dress well. Everyone was dressed well and were happy and friendly. Pilot invited me to the cockpit and gave me plastic pilot wings.

I joined the Army in 1984, spent 22 years in, so I got to fly in a lot of commercial airlines besides the fixed and rotary wing military aircraft. Over time, I got to see the deterioration in the commercial air experience. Greyhound of the skies indeed. It became like a gun show. Poorly dressed, unbathed, unfriendly people.

Then, after 9/11, TSA decided to add to the distatefullnes of the experience. I flew one time after 9/11, out of necessity, and I vowed to never fly again.

Well, what I have been doing to reinforce that decision is bingeing the TV show "Air Disasters" Holy f, their reenactments are wild. You can quote me statistics about how it it safer than some other forms of travel. I don't care. Sure, I may die in a car accident, but it wont be plunging to the planet from several thousand feet, inverted, at 400 miles an hour, with minutes to consider how I'm about to become splattered across the landscape and indistinguishable from the remains of the other poor souls on the plane with me.

I can't imagine any scenario where I ever get on an aircraft again.
    Lol I watched those and to think most of that was pilot error.
    I have to say I'm in agreement with you.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The daughter and SiL just got back from Vegas. They had TSA problems going both way. The SiL had sunflower seeds which they scanned like 5 times. They would have missed their flight coming home, but luckily it got delayed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The daughter and SiL just got back from Vegas. They had TSA problems going both way. The SiL had sunflower seeds which they scanned like 5 times. They would have missed their flight coming home, but luckily it got delayed.
    Why were they so concerned with sunflower seeds??

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Generally no food or drinks can be brought through tsa security check points.
    You stock up at the stores on the secure side.

You can take food, assuming it's not liquid. A cheeseburger or chicken sandwich is fine, done it many times and sent my SIL who loved McD's chicken sandwich off with a sack of them.

Relevant from TSA website:

Nuts

• Carry On Bags: Yes
    • Checked Bags: Yes
    TSA officers may instruct travelers to separate items from carry-on bags such as foods, powders, and any materials that can clutter bags and obstruct clear images on the X-ray machine. Travelers are encouraged to organize their carry-on bags and keep them uncluttered to ease the screening process and keep the lines moving.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/food?page=0 breaks it down, but seeds aren't specifically listed so I just went with nuts as the closest.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No idea... i dont know if that would trigger the explosives test or what.

Explosives test are done via swabbing. They run the cloth around the item, stick it in a Barringer machine or similar, it heats it up and "sniffs" to see if there is any chemicals associated with explosives.

The scanning machines can only detect density and put together a picture like an x-ray but with much greater resolution. Depending on the size of the bag, it's likely there was enough variations in density to be noticeable. That *can* mean something that's not seeds is in the bag, but it can also just mean alignment of seeds, etc. So you can manipulate it to redistribute the pattern and try again until you see if it's just seeds or if there is something with a different density mixed in. Keep in mind you're getting a 2D image of a 3D object, sometimes things look different just due to the way things are lined up. I once had an image that *very much* looked like a rifle hidden in the quarter panel of an SUV coming on base, but it was some tools, the jack, and some other random things all lined up that in 2D looked like they were one object.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    You can take food, assuming it's not liquid. A cheeseburger or chicken sandwich is fine, done it many times and sent my SIL who loved McD's chicken sandwich off with a sack of them.
    Yeah, and puddin' is considered a liquid. !#%(%^ TSA! I'm still butthurt over that. :lmfao:

Top Bottom