• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Should have walked and not paid him for nothing. I cleaned all my guns and reloading room after loading every component I had into loaded rounds. I refuse to take part in this crazy stuff and am hanging it up for awhile. Sit on what you have and dont shoot for awhile. When you happen to come across ammo at a normal price grab it and shelf it.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I went to Lens ammo shop on Michigan street in South Bend today. Three days ago a brick of 22LR (500 rounds) of blazer was $20. Today I go to Lens after work and said I would like a brick of 22LR, he went and got it, rang me up and said "That will be $35." I said "What? It was $20 three days ago!!!" Len said "That was last weeks prices, everybody else is gouging so I should make a buck doing it to." Well, I still needed it, I'm not stocking up, just want to go shooting with the family tomorrow, so I paid the $35 and now I've just been on the slow burn, and I'm really pissed. I've gone there a few times even though I am really new to guns (First time shooting was 6 months ago, now I own a m&p22 and a m&p9), talked with Len a few times before, but this taking advantage of a customer really surprised me. All this demand and craziness will slow down and come to an end eventually, but Lens made his final sale with this customer today. So if anyone knows of some other ammo suppliers in the area please respond with who. Also if you do reloading and have 9mm or 22LR for sale send me a message with your contact info. Next time I need ammo I will give you a call. What do you think, am I overreacting, or is my rage justified???

People like you are to blame for the high prices not the shop owner. Stop buying at high prices and the cost will come down. Feeling the start of a new thread....

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I went to Lens ammo shop on Michigan street in South Bend today. Three days ago a brick of 22LR (500 rounds) of blazer was $20. Today I go to Lens after work and said I would like a brick of 22LR, he went and got it, rang me up and said "That will be $35." I said "What? It was $20 three days ago!!!" Len said "That was last weeks prices, everybody else is gouging so I should make a buck doing it to." Well, I still needed it, I'm not stocking up, just want to go shooting with the family tomorrow, so I paid the $35 and now I've just been on the slow burn, and I'm really pissed. I've gone there a few times even though I am really new to guns (First time shooting was 6 months ago, now I own a m&p22 and a m&p9), talked with Len a few times before, but this taking advantage of a customer really surprised me. All this demand and craziness will slow down and come to an end eventually, but Lens made his final sale with this customer today. So if anyone knows of some other ammo suppliers in the area please respond with who. Also if you do reloading and have 9mm or 22LR for sale send me a message with your contact info. Next time I need ammo I will give you a call. What do you think, am I overreacting, or is my rage justified???

Not justified. You are overreacting.

I just bought 8# of powder, 800 bullets, and a few thousand primers anywhere that I could to ensure I can continue my hobby through the Summer, even though the idiots are buying everything in sight for what I see as no real reason at this time. My favorite powder has disappeared completely. I wish it hadn't happened but it is reality. I paid normal prices except for 1# of powder.

So I usually buy from Steve at Granger Guns. But I had to buy elsewhere to get what I wanted. This is business that he will never recover, and sales that will be lost to him. I'm sure Len realizes that even though they are selling out right now, the end result will be negative for the small shops - as people are going outside of their normal places to buy. I wish I didn't have to do it, but I can't predict what will be happening in the near future.

I can say that one# of IMR4320 I bought at a non-usual place for me was $32 and the other was $23 (didn't notice it when purchasing). Will I complain and give the seller a hard time? No because I got what I wanted, it is clearly marked, and $10 is barely the price of gas to get there. It's simply not worth it to eliminate a possible future source of supplies.

Les

newgunguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    delaware county
    That's been my only complaint about prices from the beginning. Of course its a free market, of course people can charge whatever they want.

However, their short term gain is our community's long term loss. Price people out of the hobby, and fewer people care about gun owner's rights. Once too few people care, those rights are gone. The Constitution can be amended, not like its never happened before due to popular demand.

So stop being so smug and telling him he he should have stocked up for a firearm he didn't even own a week ago. Maybe welcome him, point him in the direction of cheaper ammo, and try to expand the base a bit.

well spoken!

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    :)
    Stopped at one of my favorit gun stores in Kalamazoo, Mi. They had plenty of
    Blazer .22 LR for $19.95 bucks a box also had 9mm, and just abouty any other
    caliber you would want. Also had plenty of all primers and powder.

Lets
    hope you learned a lesson about Lenny.
    That is a little more that 50 mi from SB. He is always saying "I am the only who has x",or "I am the only one wo can get y", "in a 50 mile radius".

I miss seeing Len at gun shows
    He usually still does SB and Shishe.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    once everything settled down after the previous obama buying craze, I started buying a few boxes every payday, alternating between .22, 9mm and 5.56 after I build the AR.

Shot a bunch of my 9mm through the year in matches, but glad I still have the majority of my rifle ammo.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am not at all happy with the prices or the hoarding. I just paid $10 too much for Remingtons .22's, but that is the best I could do. I have two grandsons that I need to develop their skill set. That is more important than the extra $10 in my personal economy.

I have been a business owner and my concern is for the local gun shops. Their costs; rent, insurance, hired help, utilities, accounting, etc. are pretty much the same if you sell a lot or a little. Since all the warehouses are out of firearms and ammo, how is the shop owner going to stay in business?

I was talking to one owner, who said a couple of months ago he could call around and find the best deal on ammo. Now when he calls, any supplier just says, "I can only fill part of your order, and here is the price, take it or leave it". The profit margins are not all that high, and when supply and demand forces wholesale up, a retailer has to pass it on. When he can only get enough supplies to sell 1/2 his normal volume, staying in business is going to be a real challenge. 2012 was already a challenge, 2013 looks like it is going to be really tough. I predict that a lot of smaller shops are not going to be able to stay open.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    once everything settled down after the previous obama buying craze, I started buying a few boxes every payday, alternating between .22, 9mm and 5.56 after I build the AR.

Shot a bunch of my 9mm through the year in matches, but glad I still have the majority of my rifle ammo.
    I did the same thing when my Sister-in-law's Grandfather worked the Sporting Goods counter at Walmart. Every payday I would go and buy a couple boxes of 9mm, .22, and 12g shells. It was anywhere from $100-120 worth of ammo. This is back when it was <$15 for WWB 9mm. I even bought .45 as wishful planning for when I pick one up. When that day comes, I have a couple hundred rounds ready to go and won't need to worry about finding some.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Ive been shooting pretty much everytime I have a day off work (with kids and\or wife). I have oodles of ammo from stocking up regularly so I wont be paying these rediculous prices. Yes people can charge what they want and I would expect prices to rise with all thats going on but im simply not gonna be scarred into nothin!
    Tell you what though. When things calm down I wouldnt mind seeing a list of all the businesses and individuals that charged two or three times (and more) what a certain gun or ammo was worth. Like I said, I understand prices rising and everybody wants to make a buck but some stuff ive seen I will remember when choosing who to do business with in the future and a running list would be a mighty helpful reminder.

TWS

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Well...lets wait and see what the prices are in a few months, I may have let myself get gouged, but I ain't complaining. I've got what I got, it may have cost a little more, but you can't put a price on piece of mind. And if the shtf I will be ready.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I am not at all happy with the prices or the hoarding. I just paid $10 too much for Remingtons .22's, but that is the best I could do. I have two grandsons that I need to develop their skill set. That is more important than the extra $10 in my personal economy.

I have been a business owner and my concern is for the local gun shops. Their costs; rent, insurance, hired help, utilities, accounting, etc. are pretty much the same if you sell a lot or a little. Since all the warehouses are out of firearms and ammo, how is the shop owner going to stay in business?

I was talking to one owner, who said a couple of months ago he could call around and find the best deal on ammo. Now when he calls, any supplier just says, "I can only fill part of your order, and here is the price, take it or leave it". The profit margins are not all that high, and when supply and demand forces wholesale up, a retailer has to pass it on. When he can only get enough supplies to sell 1/2 his normal volume, staying in business is going to be a real challenge. 2012 was already a challenge, 2013 looks like it is going to be really tough. I predict that a lot of smaller shops are not going to be able to stay open.

I feel pretty much the same. But when Len went off the political clift years ago and all his little signs at the gun "DO NOT TOUCH" he left any support I could give him, small business or not.

Final straw was when my sister in law went to him to buy a lb of powder for me for a Christmas present, he had her in tears because she knew little about what she was asking about, which is understandable. But shows just what a class act he is when helping unimformed folks.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Freedom, Indiana
    Moot point - not anybody's fault but your own that you chose not to buy a firearm until Tuesday.

You don't try to buy gasoline during a gasoline shortage and then get upset that the prices are higher than usual regardless of the original cause for the shortage.

You don't buy a gun during a shortage, and then get upset that prices are higher than usual either.

You do when you have to have gasoline to get to work. Who stockpiles it?

Sonick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Louisville

I would have walked out and never go back. But I am also very stubborn and hard headed with stuff like that.

Top Bottom