• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    There are guys lurking this thread and shaking their heads that are still shooting 7.63x39 that they bought for a dime a pop.

I'm not one of those guys, but I can hear them chuckling through the internet.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Again, I have only owned a gun that shoots 22LR since Tuesday.
    Moot point - not anybody's fault but your own that you chose not to buy a firearm until Tuesday.

You don't try to buy gasoline during a gasoline shortage and then get upset that the prices are higher than usual regardless of the original cause for the shortage.

You don't buy a gun during a shortage, and then get upset that prices are higher than usual either.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Stopped at one of my favorit gun stores in Kalamazoo, Mi. They had plenty of Blazer .22 LR for $19.95 bucks a box also had 9mm, and just abouty any other caliber you would want. Also had plenty of all primers and powder.

Lets hope you learned a lesson about Lenny.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Stopped at one of my favorit gun stores in Kalamazoo, Mi. They had plenty of Blazer .22 LR for $19.95 bucks a box also had 9mm, and just abouty any other caliber you would want. Also had plenty of all primers and powder.

Lets hope you learned a lesson about Lenny.

You bet I did.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I went to Lens ammo shop on Michigan street in South Bend today. Three days ago a brick of 22LR (500 rounds) of blazer was $20. Today I go to Lens after work and said I would like a brick of 22LR, he went and got it, rang me up and said "That will be $35." I said "What? It was $20 three days ago!!!" Len said "That was last weeks prices, everybody else is gouging so I should make a buck doing it to." Well, I still needed it, I'm not stocking up, just want to go shooting with the family tomorrow, so I paid the $35 and now I've just been on the slow burn, and I'm really pissed. I've gone there a few times even though I am really new to guns (First time shooting was 6 months ago, now I own a m&p22 and a m&p9), talked with Len a few times before, but this taking advantage of a customer really surprised me. All this demand and craziness will slow down and come to an end eventually, but Lens made his final sale with this customer today. So if anyone knows of some other ammo suppliers in the area please respond with who. Also if you do reloading and have 9mm or 22LR for sale send me a message with your contact info. Next time I need ammo I will give you a call. What do you think, am I overreacting, or is my rage justified???

I miss seeing Len at gun shows. There was a good one about 10 years ago where he was going off on some kind of rant about Hitler and the "Jew mentality".

Hell, I would have walked around knocking door to door in the not so nice neighborhoods asking school kids if they had any spare .22lr for sale before I'd step foot in Len's shop.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I miss seeing Len at gun shows. There was a good one about 10 years ago where he was going off on some kind of rant about Hitler and the "Jew mentality".

Hell, I would have walked around knocking door to door in the not so nice neighborhoods asking school kids if they had any spare .22lr for sale before I'd step foot in Len's shop.

Yup, thats the Lenny I know!:patriot:

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I got a cheaper than dirt catalog yesterday, they had rio 00 buck shot on sale $109 for 250 rounds. I called and they said it was $169, I told them they could keep it!!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I see the why you would be mad. Not the price but the fact that he just raised it to make an extra buck and admitted he was price gauging! Straight up said he was gauging! I mean, I wouldn't have bought it, but if you're in a hurry to get some that's how it is. Even when .22 was cheap, not everyone has the disposable income to buy cases of it. Shooting sports are getting expensive because people keep paying the prices. Those who have the money don't care, but I can easily see guns becoming a rich man's game. They don't need legislation, firearms are going to extinguish themselves. I need more .22, but I'm waiting for the panic to end. We should know by the end of the month wether it was justified craziness or not. Hope .22 does go down, only thing giving many people range time. Reloading rifle is 20 cents a round or more now.

AtlasDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2012
    So if your internet bill comes and its $15 more with a letter explaining everyone else is doing it, so we should do it and make and extra buck too, you wont be a bit angry?

The difference is that an internet bill involves a service contract with an agreed upon price. Goods you buy off the shelf are subject to change at any moment depending on how the market shifts.

Price gouging isn't always a bad thing though, but the term was chosen to demonize free markets and foment hatred toward capitalism by pointing how how bad life is when the "big bad corporation exploits the little guy." Look at it this way though when prices rise on something: Rising prices restricts the ability of any one person to stockpile all of the particular good (in this case ammo) therefor allowing more people to purchase a smaller amount of that good at a higher than normal price. Rising prices is why you were able to buy your ammo for more than you had planned instead of walking away empty handed because someone else bought it all in a panic before you showed up.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Good point.....but the fact that he said "Everyone else is gouging so I should and make a buck too" thats what started the burn.

Did he REALLY "say" he was gouging? I mean, did he actually use that word?

Is it possible that he said something along the lines of, "My price to order it went up and this is the going rate, right now."

I'm having a very hard time believing that a LGS owner actually admitted to gouging. If he did, maybe you have a gripe, but then again consumers always have the final say in such matters...and you DID plunk down the cash.

Buy components when they are selling at a price point you are comfortable with. Load 'em up whenever the mood strikes ya. Let the suckers complain about the cost and availability of factory ammo.

I also grow a large garden, raise chickens, process my own venison (5 this year) and do a lot of work on my vehicles. There was a time when Americans were largely self-sufficient and didn't complain so much. Learn to do for yourself, or do without, and you won't have to worry so much about price gouging.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    C'mom easy on the newb! I'm sure LGS's have paid their dues and have worked hard. Let them make a little $$. You pay what you want to who you want. Maybe this is the shot to bring some pride back and we start to take responsibility of our oun govt. As we shoyld have been.

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    I am sure it has been said before but it's the law of supply and demand. Demand it is at an all time high and supply is at an all time low so therefore vendors can keep raising prices until demand drops off due to customers stop "agreeing" to pay said price. As long as a brick of 22 is selling at $50 or whatever the current price is why would the vendor not sell it at that price. They are not your friend, they are there to make money and you are there to give them your money. It is up to you to decide on how much.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    At the Lagrange show one guy had Blazer bulk for only $30/525.
    During the last primer shortage, Len brought out an old stash('70s-'80s) of his personal primers. Sold them at $50 brick because they were going for $60 on Gunbroker. Now he is selling primers(S&B) at $30, but limiting to 1K per customer per week.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I notice many here do not know Lenny!

Yep I've known Len a long time

During the last primer shortage, Len brought out an old stash('70s-'80s) of his personal primers. Sold them at $50 brick because they were going for $60 on Gunbroker. Now he is selling primers(S&B) at $30, but limiting to 1K per customer per week.

So he sold them less than the going rate? And $30/1000 sounds like a decent price to me. My goto guy is selling them at $35/1000

I only know that it used to be a gun shop but now only ammo. What should we know?

Just curious...

Len is a little out there, He's a nice guy but .. He has a UN flag on the floor just inside the door he wants everyone to wipe their feet on it when you come in.
    He's never been anything but nice to me whenever I go in. He used to take a bunch of 1919 stuff to the gunshow- cloth belt loaders, linking machines, parts.. That kind of stuff.
    Back in the early 90's he built a couple of FAL's for my brother. He did a really nice job on them.

Top Bottom