• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I went to Lens ammo shop on Michigan street in South Bend today. Three days ago a brick of 22LR (500 rounds) of blazer was $20. Today I go to Lens after work and said I would like a brick of 22LR, he went and got it, rang me up and said "That will be $35." I said "What? It was $20 three days ago!!!" Len said "That was last weeks prices, everybody else is gouging so I should make a buck doing it to." Well, I still needed it, I'm not stocking up, just want to go shooting with the family tomorrow, so I paid the $35 and now I've just been on the slow burn, and I'm really pissed. I've gone there a few times even though I am really new to guns (First time shooting was 6 months ago, now I own a m&p22 and a m&p9), talked with Len a few times before, but this taking advantage of a customer really surprised me. All this demand and craziness will slow down and come to an end eventually, but Lens made his final sale with this customer today. So if anyone knows of some other ammo suppliers in the area please respond with who. Also if you do reloading and have 9mm or 22LR for sale send me a message with your contact info. Next time I need ammo I will give you a call. What do you think, am I overreacting, or is my rage justified???

When we see this and we feel it is gouging, we need to walk away and leave the product on the shelf. If you make a comment, but still buy, it just reinforces the behavior.

stopped by our LGS and they had boxes of 9mm Blazer for $39...

Also had mil surp AR-15 mags for $25-$39.

I'm not complaining though, they sell what people will pay for it.

Wow... 9mm Blazer for $39? That's crazy talk.

You can't be gouged if you willing bought it. ;):ingo:

Agreed.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    Well, OP.... I feel your pain. I understand what you did, and why you did it. But, don't you think you just poured gasoline on this greedy POS LGS SOB's fire? Your very acquiescence to his highway robbery proved his point: "why not charge more, if people are dumb enough to pay it."

Maybe next time you can cast around at your local Wal Mart, Meijer and Dunham's stores. They all carry .22LR ammo. Yeah, they may be short of stock at times.....but, come on.... it's .22.... it's not gold. It's out there!

So much for my 20/20 Hindsight... :twocents:

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Whine

Your rage is not justified.

He had a product for sale, and you paid his asking price.

All the whining about prices is getting old.

Every merchant in the firearm business is guilty of gouging, seems to be the norm..

I think the OP is justified in expressing his dissatisfaction. But this is getting old fast. I got screwed yesterday on 9mm, but it was the only ammo in town.

Grin and bear it.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I'm sure Len's sensitive heart has been touched by your thread and he will change his behavior immediately because if there's anything you know about Len, it's that he really cares about everyone's feelings.

Geeze, not enough purple in the world for that, lol.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Went to ruraL KING to buy large targets. But some one went through the check out 15 minutes before me with every pistol cartridge in the store... over $800...What a lifestyle

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    I don't know why you paid for something that you absolutely didn't need to buy and will be available in ample quantities very soon. .22lr will absolutely not be banned or any of that other crap EVER. If you felt like you were being taken advantage of why not simply walk out??? And, it's $15 freaking dollars!!!

So if your internet bill comes and its $15 more with a letter explaining everyone else is doing it, so we should do it and make and extra buck too, you wont be a bit angry? That was the reason i was pissed. But I am not angry anymore, because I learned something.... don't stick with one caliber....he was out of 9mm but had several others available, so when things settle down and get back to normal I will look to expand (if i can still legally buy them) into 40s&w, 45ACP and a 380....that way if/when this happens again a ammo shortage will be easier to cope with.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    stopped by our LGS and they had boxes of 9mm Blazer for $39...

WOW!!! And I just went through 4 boxes of PMC Bronze 9mm today! Did I really burn >$160 worth of ammo?? Glad I filled my ammo cabinet when it was under $10/box:D

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've had probably 8 bricks of .22 LR chilling with the rest of my ammo for a while now... Didn't stock up for any purpose other than it was cheap, I like to shoot, and I hate going to the store regularly to buy more.

If you choose to buy it as you shoot it - then you're at the whim of supply+demand more so than somebody who stocks up when things are cheaper.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    Well, OP.... I feel your pain. I understand what you did, and why you did it. But, don't you think you just poured gasoline on this greedy POS LGS SOB's fire? Your very acquiescence to his highway robbery proved his point: "why not charge more, if people are dumb enough to pay it."

Maybe next time you can cast around at your local Wal Mart, Meijer and Dunham's stores. They all carry .22LR ammo. Yeah, they may be short of stock at times.....but, come on.... it's .22.... it's not gold. It's out there!

So much for my 20/20 Hindsight... :twocents:

I kind of wanted to stay away from big box stores that sell gun and ammo. I had the attitude of "if i want a toaster, i will go to walmart, if i want a gun or ammo i will go to a local shop." I bought my guns from local shops (m&p9 from kodiak, m&p22 from zx) and the reason i have...now had....that attitude was the fact that local gun/ammo shops are necessities...if everyone shopped at walmart, meijer, dicks, etc. the local guys would dry up....and if those large retailers caved to political pressure and stopped carrying guns/ammo, then what??? where the local guys would say "**** off, its our RIGHT to own this, and our RIGHT to sell it, i dont care if you like it or not." But this whole experience just burned me....I will just be buying my ammo from kodiak.....well, when its available anyway.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    I've had probably 8 bricks of .22 LR chilling with the rest of my ammo for a while now... Didn't stock up for any purpose other than it was cheap, I like to shoot, and I hate going to the store regularly to buy more.

If you choose to buy it as you shoot it - then you're at the whim of supply+demand more so than somebody who stocks up when things are cheaper.

Again, I have only owned a gun that shoots 22LR since Tuesday.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I live in rural Indiana but ventured out into South side Indy and it seems like 22lr doubled. I'm seeing brands I've never seen before.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Went to ruraL KING to buy large targets. But some one went through the check out 15 minutes before me with every pistol cartridge in the store... over $800...What a lifestyle

During the last ammo squeeze, some LGS would go out and buy out Walmart's stock and then resell at a higher price. That might be what happened here. That is why Walmart went to a policy of limited boxes/customer for a long time.

mikebaker1129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Houston ,TX
    During the last ammo squeeze, some LGS would go out and buy out Walmart's stock and then resell at a higher price. That might be what happened here. That is why Walmart went to a policy of limited boxes/customer for a long time.

This is what happened in Houston also during the lsat ammo shortage.
    Certain packaging is for Walmart and Academy and they would be wiped out ,but there would be plenty at the gunshow in the Walmart and Academy packaging at greatly increased prices.
    It happens.

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012

I know Walmart would send faxes to their managers to go over and buy something that was on sale at Target (example Tylenol). Real cutthroat practices.
    I talked to a real nice guy at Walmart who told me I could call him to see if they got ammo on their trucks. Man, they must have people calling daily. I actually got 6 boxes of 9 that was about 1 to 2 dollars more than it was last Spring. I picked up some Colt 45. I like shooting it but its expensive. 410 handgun seems to of gone up 4 dollars a box. 22 seemed to go way up. Maybe fill me in. I bought 500 of the HV 22 last summer and it was around 24 but now over 40. Thank goodness I have plenty of 556 and 223 and haven't even had to dab in that mess.
    Brownells is sending me emails just to remind me that they are working hard on filling in my backorder items. They must have a gold mine of sales that are in limbo. They acted like they are going to keep me updated weekly. I'm guessing their profits are going to be out the roof in the next quarter if they can keep their customers from canceling their orders. A family member of mine from Missouri told me their distributed is ordering 30,000 Pmags. Magpul must be praying that we will not have a ban or takes a long time. They will be working a long long time filling in these orders.
    Happy buying!

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    I wonder if shooting range business is down with the cost and shortage of ammo. I might just shoot one magazine and call it a day if I go outside. I'm guessing more 22 practice this spring.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

And guess what message you sent this shop, yup... A brick of .22lr is worth at least $35.

So thank you very much for taking a stand against gouging! The rest of us appreciate it.

chevy07_man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    Haubstadt
    I spent last wednsday the 2nd with friend of mine lookn for ammo. went with him to pick up his hi-point9mm and we went to the walmart and rural king in vincennes, walmart in lawrenceville il and olney and none had any .380,9mm,40 45 or 22lr. The rural king got fresh shipment and had blazer9mm for $17box. He wanted to go to last local walmart in flora,il and they had the remington 525rd boxes of 22lr for $11, I bought all 3. didnt think was too bad. im good on my .38spl+p and 22lr. This ammo thing is crazy.

Top Bottom