• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I guess that makes me the strange one then. I try not to put any equipment away filthy. The more expensive the equipment, the more devoted I am to the maintenance.

You are the strange one... :) I clean but not every trip. I do like to run them to the point of fail if possible. Just so I know where that is.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well.....today was the day.

At the 1700 round mark......my MPX is so dirty it won't operate, firing pin had 0 protrusion. I cleaned the inside of the BCG a bit and it helped but it still light strikes half the time or more. Subs or supers. It has so much crap in the action even though the bolt appears to lock into battery...it really doesn't. Quick 10 minute clean job helped but then it returned to light strike 90+% of the time (subs are worse than supers, but who wants to be loud anyway)

Part of me is pleased that I've reached this state. Part of me is like it's only been 1700 rounds WTF. New lube every once in a while and never shot it unsuppressed. The MPX is hard on trigger groups and now even Geiselle is saying not to use their triggers in the MPX until they come out with their dedicated FCG. I have a POF in there and have since day 1 and I don't think the trigger is the issue.

So, looks like a deep cleaning is finally needed to get the MPX in operating mode again. Firing pin and firing pin spring are not broke (gen 1 issues)

I don't know, that isn't too bad for a submachinegun platform. Try running an MP5 for that many rounds and see how reliable it is.

Granted, my MP5s usually start having feeding or ejecting issues when dirty, not light or no primer strikes, so maybe on second thought, that isn't that good. With the MP5, a quick and dirty cleaning will usually get it running again.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    You are the strange one... :) I clean but not every trip. I do like to run them to the point of fail if possible. Just so I know where that is.
    I am the strange one.:woot:

I had a Citori that ended up with rusty fingerprints after a hunting trip a long time ago, and I felt like **** about it. Never again.

The Army wouldn't let us go home until the guns were clean, I guess it has just stuck with me. I have no problem running the dog **** out of them on Saturday, but by Sunday afternoon, anything I pull out of the safe will be ready to run at 100%.

I clean tools before I put them away too. :laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm surprised the MPX won't run indefinitely as long as you keep adding lube (like a decent AR will if you keep it wet).

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I am the strange one.:woot:

I had a Citori that ended up with rusty fingerprints after a hunting trip a long time ago, and I felt like **** about it. Never again.

The Army wouldn't let us go home until the guns were clean, I guess it has just stuck with me. I have no problem running the dog **** out of them on Saturday, but by Sunday afternoon, anything I pull out of the safe will be ready to run at 100%.

I clean tools before I put them away too. :laugh:

When should I drop mine off for you to clean?

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    If you go to his house he will offer your "beer", then while you're drinking his "beer" he'll trick you in to cleaning his guns for him.

*Coors Light may or may not be considered real beer

You shut up and keep cleaning. :drill:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Okay, still not done cleaning, but figured I'd share some pics

Weird wear on the firing pin retaining pin

And one thing I never ever have done with the MPX either when I bought it new or afterwards, was clean the piston system. I had a hell of a time getting the plug out and the piston itself. When I got the plug out this just crumpled out

Might be hard to get the sizing, but it was huge chunks and the piston itself and the plug had MASSIVE amount of carbon and even lead (never shot lead through it, just plated, looked like .22 suppressor baffles). I'm curious if Sig put some sort of nasty oil in there and the carbon attached itself to it.

I was curious initially if the piston system had a hand with the light striking (piston too far into the receiver when the bolt tried to go into battery). I'm kinda disappointed if this is the face cause I could have cleaned the piston system out and left the crap in the receiver and kept pushing the test.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Anybody want to see what a clean one looks like that has been through more rounds. :laugh:

They all look alike when they're clean ;)

So took 2 days on and off but MPX is back together. Bolt still having issues locking back on the last round which is strange. I had the seater die back out a bit on my 550 and had to reseat a couple hundred to get into my 229 magazine. Might have to turn it down just a touch more. Didn't take the catch out and clean it though.

Oh, have to re-sight in the T2. At 50 yards it was like 4 foot low. Probably different torque on the barrel screws IDK

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    Silly question...I want to upgrade the MPX comp (I know that 9mm is negligible when it comes to recoil and shooting flat from a carbine), but there are limited options in doing so. Anyone upgrade theirs? I've searched and searched and am leaning towards the SLR mini-comp.

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    PS, ordered a SiCo Omega 9K this morning...looking like 8 weeks for Acme to receive it before I can start my paperwork on the can and the SBR paperwork simultaneously (as it obviously sits in the pistol form currently). Looking to chop the barrel to 4.5" and make the Omega 9K a dedicated piece to the MPX.

Here is how it sits as of now.

x72821

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2017
    Bloomington
    I have an MPX SBR with a SilencerCo Omega 9k. Just my opinion, but if you are going the SBR route, get the folding stock. I have the collapsable stock, and it doesn't work nearly as well as I would like it to.

Top Bottom