• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yeah...I am trying to figure out how to make a quick grand so I can buy the one in the classifieds

I'm working a part time job to pay off my Son's Purdue education. I've decided an MPX SBR & suppressor combo will be my reward if I get it done on schedule.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well.....today was the day.

At the 1700 round mark......my MPX is so dirty it won't operate, firing pin had 0 protrusion. I cleaned the inside of the BCG a bit and it helped but it still light strikes half the time or more. Subs or supers. It has so much crap in the action even though the bolt appears to lock into battery...it really doesn't. Quick 10 minute clean job helped but then it returned to light strike 90+% of the time (subs are worse than supers, but who wants to be loud anyway)

Part of me is pleased that I've reached this state. Part of me is like it's only been 1700 rounds WTF. New lube every once in a while and never shot it unsuppressed. The MPX is hard on trigger groups and now even Geiselle is saying not to use their triggers in the MPX until they come out with their dedicated FCG. I have a POF in there and have since day 1 and I don't think the trigger is the issue.

So, looks like a deep cleaning is finally needed to get the MPX in operating mode again. Firing pin and firing pin spring are not broke (gen 1 issues)

gopurdue02

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 2, 2011
    SIX MPX is a DI gun and leaves a large amount of fouling in the action. Personally I have found my MPX does not run right unless it 100% suppressed because it NEEDS the extra back-pressure to cycle reliably. The gun is usually so caked in filth after 500 rounds I drop the whole thing into a sonic bath because manually cleaning it is futile. When finished I coat it in several layers of oil and then repeat the process. This is not an AK or AR-15 that you can add oil to it and keep shooting. This platform requires ALOT more care to run reliably.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'll play along. Why?

Do you change the oil on your truck, or just wait until it quits?

The more expensive a gun is, the more I want it to prove itself to me. It's like SCARs or REPRs etc. If a firearm costs 3K and it touted and being the best of the best, it better prove that. It's like people with said firearms say they're super reliable yet clean them after every 150 rounds. Why? A hi Point carbine or a Phoenix pistol should go 150 rounds without cleaning.

I want to know how far a firearm can go before it has so much junk in it until it won't work. You don't want to know that round count for my Buckmark before it had issues

As for my truck/vehicle reference. I change the oil. I put new lube in it when it's needed. But I don't tear the engine apart every 150 miles either.

I wish my car would blow up but that's a separate issue (PS, thank you Ford)

SIX MPX is a DI gun and leaves a large amount of fouling in the action. Personally I have found my MPX does not run right unless it 100% suppressed because it NEEDS the extra back-pressure to cycle reliably. The gun is usually so caked in filth after 500 rounds I drop the whole thing into a sonic bath because manually cleaning it is futile. When finished I coat it in several layers of oil and then repeat the process. This is not an AK or AR-15 that you can add oil to it and keep shooting. This platform requires ALOT more care to run reliably.

That's bad and I'd send mine in if that was the case. The MPX is piston operated BTW. A gun of that price (well, any gun for that matter) should function well over 500 rounds before it's caked so bad it won't work.

And to be fair to my MPX. When it started light striking the first time and having issues (about 800 rounds in), I added more lube and it functioned like a champ for a long time (until recently)

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I guess that makes me the strange one then. I try not to put any equipment away filthy. The more expensive the equipment, the more devoted I am to the maintenance.

Top Bottom