• ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I put up a couple of oriel feeders and have had several today.

20210512_105118.jpg

I changed my hummer feeder syrup to red instead of clear and had my first one abit ago.

KARP

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2020
    Nwi
    Didn't have any orioles or hummingbirds since last Saturday but noticed one of the orange halves was picked clean and then all at once we had 4 orioles show up yesterday. I didn't know about the grape jelly until I read about it in this thread. Wife made me run to Stracks and get some.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Didn't have any orioles or hummingbirds since last Saturday but noticed one of the orange halves was picked clean and then all at once we had 4 orioles show up yesterday. I didn't know about the grape jelly until I read about it in this thread. Wife made me run to Stracks and get some.
    I buy it by the flat when they aren't limiting it. LOL I stocked up last year after Oriole season as it was hard to find while they were here due to so many people buying it for them apparently. I resorted to using homemade plum jam last year...hubby was a bit unhappy when he realized what I was using. :lmfao: He no longer complains when he sees me bringing in a dozen jars at a time to store in the food pantry. I just grab two or three jars a week now at Aldi so I don't run out before they switch to bird feed and bugs, etc. I always thought they left the area, but apparently their colors change and their food source changes after they have replenished their bodies from the big migration.

UnknownOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2020
    West Indy
    We started getting hummingbirds for the first time this year on Wednesday afternoon. Not sure what type or male or female.

We have put out some orange halves and grape jelly for orioles but have not seen any of them yet. We have never tried to attract them before so they probably just aren't around.

We always have multiple cardinals and blue jays as well as house finches and gold finches. We had a rose breasted grossbeak for the first time today. Those are cool birds.

We occasionally get a couple starlings which don't seem to cause much trouble. The damn cow birds though.... they show up and take over the entire feeder area. Hate those birds.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We started getting hummingbirds for the first time this year on Wednesday afternoon. Not sure what type or male or female.

We have put out some orange halves and grape jelly for orioles but have not seen any of them yet. We have never tried to attract them before so they probably just aren't around.

We always have multiple cardinals and blue jays as well as house finches and gold finches. We had a rose breasted grossbeak for the first time today. Those are cool birds.

We occasionally get a couple starlings which don't seem to cause much trouble. The damn cow birds though.... they show up and take over the entire feeder area. Hate those birds.
    The Grosbeaks like the jelly too.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Since I've taken the mixed seed feeder down it seems like more Orioles visit the grape jelly this season than ever before. Problem is now the Finches are also hitting the grape jelly cup pretty hard.

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Had Orioles about a week ago but only for 3 days then they moved on I guess. Hummingbirds pretty strong numbers this year. plain old sugar water with NO red Dye. If they don't finish it change it out when it gets cloudy.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Plenty of hummingbirds this year. I had Orioles for a week or two and they were eating the jelly and oranges like crazy. I noticed some cooper's hawks stalking the feeders and the Orioles have disappeared.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    We have more hummingbirds than normal this year. A female Oriole has a nest in tree beside our house. She comes by multiple times a day. Had a male couple days ago. Loads of many different birds as normal. We do have this couple that are new... 1B3E5C06-3B77-41E4-A16D-AB63B364448C.jpeg

They are frequent visitors, right off patio. Some mornings find they nested over night right under feeder.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Plenty of hummingbirds this year. I had Orioles for a week or two and they were eating the jelly and oranges like crazy. I noticed some cooper's hawks stalking the feeders and the Orioles have disappeared.
    I still have a couple orioles I see almost everyday, but they stopped hitting the feeders. They usually are on the garden trellis when I see them

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I still have a couple orioles I see almost everyday, but they stopped hitting the feeders. They usually are on the garden trellis when I see them
    I saw an Oriole land in the crabapple tree last night right outside the window. Maybe their diet has already changed to seeds and bugs and they just didn't want as much fruit this year? I was seeing a LOT of them for a couple of weeks but they normally eat way more jelly and oranges. I guess I have a good supply of jelly for next year.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    We're still waiting on the ruby throated.
    Just some black throated ones so far.

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    I have a couple green ones. I guess those are the ruby throated? But they are all green. Is it just the females that have the red? Changing the nectar once a week helps a lot. I don’t fill it full so I don’t waste any when changing it.

Top Bottom