• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I have a couple green ones. I guess those are the ruby throated? But they are all green. Is it just the females that have the red? Changing the nectar once a week helps a lot. I don’t fill it full so I don’t waste any when changing it.
    The males have the red, the females have more white. They both have green backs and on the wings.
    1623531478170.png

Gibsmedat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2021
    Greenwood
    The males have the red, the females have more white. They both have green backs and on the wings.
    View attachment 143550
    Ah. Nice. Thanks. Looks like I have two females then. They head off in other directions after feeding. Two years ago
    I had males feeding. One would guard the feeders all day, and chase any other males coming. They will kill another male if they can. Lots of fly bys and rapid chirps.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Ah. Nice. Thanks. Looks like I have two females then. They head off in other directions after feeding. Two years ago
    I had males feeding. One would guard the feeders all day, and chase any other males coming. They will kill another male if they can. Lots of fly bys and rapid chirps.
    Mine fight all the time. I moved one feeder to the front yard one follows up there, but they still go back and forth and fight

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    What part of the state are you in?

I was unaware we had black chins in Indiana.
    I've been calling them black throated as opposed to ruby throated.
    The females are brown-tan and gray. Perhaps it could be either an illusion of the color pattern or comparing different individuals but the females appear to be a little larger and have longer necks.
    We try to keep them happy with bee balm flowers and anything else they show a liking to. They seem to enjoy vining beans and lavender a lot. This year planted scarlet runners because they like red. Early in the year it's feeders.
    Something that's lots of fun is a hand held fake flower with a center made by heating and pulling the body of a freebie hotel pen. The petals are a collar of plastic cut, shaped and colored with markers. Fill the pen, hold it in your hand, wait for the humdinger to catch on that you're doing something together.
    :)

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I currently have a real nice downy woodpecker, redheaded woodpecker, pair of cardinals, bluejays, oriole, some red finches and a real nice northern flicker in the yard.

Busy morning for the birds.

If I could take as good of pictures as
    ^^^ @WhitleyStu ^^^ I would get one framed

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    They are killing my feeder last week and a half. I've seen as many as three at once around it.

I do not know why two of them squabble with each other all the time while the 3 chills on the feeder. I haven't asked the interwebz yet, guess I just did. :dunno:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    They are killing my feeder last week and a half. I've seen as many as three at once around it.

I do not know why two of them squabble with each other all the time while the 3 chills on the feeder. I haven't asked the interwebz yet, guess I just did. :dunno:
    The males at my place appear to be very territorial, it'll run every other male off, but doesn't bother the females.

Feeders front and back, and they are guarded by 2 different males.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Just went out back to check feeders. One of them met me at the steps and sat on a sunflower leaf watching. Didn't even wait for the bottle to get hung before it was hovering there waiting for me to get done.
    These little boogers know who butters their bread.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Loads of fun watching them around the flower garden after mowing this evening.
    The cock of the walk was defending his turf against two challengers.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    This year was the slowest hummingbird activity that I can remember EARLY ON. Now, I am filling my feeders THREE TIMES A DAY - they are like swarming locusts

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    There's a kestrel that's been hanging around this year.
    Today it was homesteading the power line post.
    Watching out a reloading room window, saw a hummer get in his face!

Top Bottom