• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I put out an orange this morning to see if any orioles are lurking about. So far, none have been seen. Last year, they were here by now.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I had an Oriole hitting the hummingbird feeders last year, been thinking about getting a feeder for them as well. Is the mixture the same?
    Suppose it could be, around here they hit the Grape Jelly pretty hard. Got a friend that's adamant about natural sugar Grape Jelly. Last year during the shortages I resorted to any ole Shmuckers Grape Jelly and my birds didn't seem any worse for it.

Attachments

• feeder.jpg
      feeder.jpg
      15.7 KB · Views: 2

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    A few days ago I brought mine in from the garage and got them cleaned up. But I haven't put them out just yet. I HOPE yesterday night was the last freeze and things will wake up and get going. Have been covering our tulips almost every night for a week because dang it! I wanted tulips blooming for Easter this year.
    20210403_182115.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had an Oriole hitting the hummingbird feeders last year, been thinking about getting a feeder for them as well. Is the mixture the same?
    I use oriole feeders (the orange ones) for all of them...hummingbirds and orioles both use them. I put out grape jelly and oranges that are cut in half. I go through a big jar of jelly every day and usually put out two to three oranges a day plus the nectar. They eat the jelly/fruit/nectar for four to six weeks and then just seem to disappear. I'm told that they don't really leave but their diet changes to bugs and more natural foods. The sugars in the fruit apparently give them a needed boost after their migration.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby saw one yesterday in Starke county. I need to get my feeders ready. I put an orange out for the orioles but no sign of them yet.

Top Bottom