• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Cedartop, I'm putting together a spreadsheet to keep score of how I progress with this drill. I'm trying to figure out how the scoring works. I can't seem to figure out how shooting 6 drills within this with 20 rounds equals 100 as a possible score. Can you tell me how each piece is scored?

Or is it as simple as you start with 100 and deduct points for being off target ?
    Each good hit is worth 5 points. If you are outside the target zone you get less points. I will explain more when I get on a real computer.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Each good hit is worth 5 points. If you are outside the target zone you get less points. I will explain more when I get on a real computer.
    Got it! Now it adds up. I punched your numbers in my sheet and it calculated the final score correctly!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I think another aspect that needs to be considered is that being fast on the draw but not getting a good grip is counteractive. If I have to re grip the pistol after the first round because I drew so fast and wasn't solidly locked in, I will lose time/accuracy.

Sometimes, especially if one is more of a novice, you could do better with something like a Bill Drill if you purposely focused on the optimum grip coming out of the holster, getting on the target and then rip the 6 shots.

The actual draw might be a tad slower, but the time will come back once you start pulling the trigger.

Just something an IDPA Master told me when I was getting hung up on my slow draws. He suggested that I make sure I get a good grip before I push the time too hard.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Practicing the presentation is important. On the range with a timer and free mind can get you a consistent 1.5 seconds. It is important to study however, that knowing when and if you have the will to present, can trump presentation time on the street.
    I have to let someone tap my shoulder for go. Then they hit the stopwatch on tap and stop it when I fire.

With my hearing aid out I can't hear anything. With it in I hear sounds but have no clue where it came from or what made it. I have to look at people's lips to understand what is said and mess that up half the time lol.
    So with ear mufflers on I can't hear any sounds. Without ear mufflers on a 338 Lapua with a muzzle break sounds like a 22lr to me.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I think another aspect that needs to be considered is that being fast on the draw but not getting a good grip is counteractive. If I have to re grip the pistol after the first round because I drew so fast and wasn't solidly locked in, I will lose time/accuracy.

Sometimes, especially if one is more of a novice, you could do better with something like a Bill Drill if you purposely focused on the optimum grip coming out of the holster, getting on the target and then rip the 6 shots.

The actual draw might be a tad slower, but the time will come back once you start pulling the trigger.

Just something an IDPA Master told me when I was getting hung up on my slow draws. He suggested that I make sure I get a good grip before I push the time too hard.
    Absolutely. Grip is huge.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Got it! Now it adds up. I punched your numbers in my sheet and it calculated the final score correctly!
    Good. There are basically two ways to shoot this drill. I try to get 100 points as fast as I can. The other way is to shoot as fast as you can and accept whatever points down come your way. If you want to draw an 10 inch circle around your box on your target that could be your 4 point ring. Whatever you do just be consistent about it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I don't draw, I simply put my hand in my jacket or sweater pocket casually before I think I'll need it and if I do need it I can shoot through the pocket.
    On very warm or hot days I wear an untucked shirt and situational awareness is my best defense.
    I carry a S&W 642 plus a backup 9mm,
    it works for me.
    That is fine under a narrow set of circumstances. I have practiced shooting from the pocket and through a shirt as if you got your draw fouled. If they are right on top of you that may be the way to go. It sure wouldn't be my default. To each his own though.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Using a phone, PC/laptop, Windows/Mac? @Bigtanker is a good phone to INGO source. I've only attached videos from the webz.

Second on Carry Gun matches. I have to get back on that track. 2.05 was the best I ever did... and I knew a BEEP was coming.
    I just upload the video to YouTube and post it that way.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Just saw this so I'll throw in my 2 cents..... the less time it takes to get the gun out, the more time you have to manipulate the trigger. The more time you have to manipulate the trigger the better your accuracy.

Cedar Top says he won't believe anybody about draw times without video, but he has seen me shoot so maybe a score sheet will suffice. Attached is the score sheet for the most recent time I shot the old Federal Air Marshal Qual with my local training group . This is shot with the FBI QIT targets and I shot it from closed front cover garment (t shirt) with a Sig 320 in a IWB holster carried at about 2 o'clock - just forward of hip bone. The "draw and 1 shot" string #1 times are .92 and 1.05

Attachments

• IMG_3452.jpg
      IMG_3452.jpg
      89.1 KB · Views: 8
    Last edited:

Jon Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2021
    Warsaw
    Last time my draw was timed, Coach was running the timer and in my ear. I started at 1.5 and threatened one second, but never got there.

It takes a lot of competition reps to put consistent rounds on target while going full tilt. The same as drawing to the beginning of the beep vs reacting to it.

Awareness and training are of utmost importance, but for pure mechanics of things like the draw, there is no replacement for competition shooting, even just occasional. The stress of the timer and comparison to others doing the same is invaluable.

Sure it does, my friend. Three less than well placed shots in your torso, before you can get off the first one, beats the hell out of it. Especially when your target is on the move. :twocents:
    You do have a very valid point, my friend. I hate to even think about it. :)

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Last time my draw was timed, Coach was running the timer and in my ear. I started at 1.5 and threatened one second, but never got there.

It takes a lot of competition reps to put consistent rounds on target while going full tilt. The same as drawing to the beginning of the beep vs reacting to it.

Awareness and training are of utmost importance, but for pure mechanics of things like the draw, there is no replacement for competition shooting, even just occasional. The stress of the timer and comparison to others doing the same is invaluable.

Sure it does, my friend. Three less than well placed shots in your torso, before you can get off the first one, beats the hell out of it. Especially when your target is on the move. :twocents:

Truth!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Now we are down to timers and videos.

I often wonder if mother ****** thugs give a flying **** about such ****.

Train.
    Introduce adrenaline and pressure.
    Learn what well placed shots do to a body.
    Practice well that which will not be necessary in the best of circumstances.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Now we are down to timers and videos.

I often wonder if mother ****** thugs give a flying **** about such ****.
    The thugs probably don't care, but when one of them has a gun on you because you got caught in the middle of a convenience store robbery, you might only have two seconds to draw and smoke him when he turns back towards his partner Pookie and yells for him to "grab them cartons of Newports!"

I personally like to know whether I have the skills to be able to do that.

All hypothetical scenarios aside, I've gotten much better with both speed and accuracy since using a timer. What can be measured can be improved. It also adds a focus and intentionality to training that helps me know what to work on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom